Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default London with the missus

Going to London on the 18th Oct for 3 nights and 2days. Already booked tickets for the london eye, madam tussauds (line jumping tickets) and a visit to the dungeons. think we are also going to visit trafalgar square...

Can anyone else recommend anywhere else to visit/eat out/do at night....

thanks folks...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: London with the missus

I would cancel your tickets to Tussauds -its shit.
    Go to Harrods hang around in Covent Garden and watch the performers there is a good way to spend an afternoon, go and see a musical one night (get cheap tickets from the kiosk in Leicester square)

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

its a combo ticket so i cant cancel tussauds. :-( can you get cheap tickets online anywhere?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The markets in Camden on Saturday and Sunday are always worth a visit.
    Cruise up the river.
    Go to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral
    The revamped transport museum is really interesting if you head to Covent Garden as Monkfish suggested.
    Natural History Museum
    Columbia flower market is great, buy your missus some lovely fresh flowers for a bargain price. After that take a walk around Spitalfields.

Always worth a look on TimeOut London's site to see if there are any particular events on you're interested in while you're visiting.
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    its a combo ticket so i cant cancel tussauds. :-( can you get cheap tickets online anywhere?
    Register on Groupon as they have daily deals on different activities in London including meals.
    I am declairing war!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the dungeons is great, well worth the visit, as is the was works, check out the national history and sicence museums as well, i think they are free now to

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can heartily recommend this place for an evening meal. It's near the Post Office tower
    http://www.london-eating.co.uk/3769.htm I've had a couple of meals there and it's been great both times and incredibly cheap for London.

Wouldn't bother with anything you have to pay for, there's tons of free stuff to do. Visit the museums, just walking around St James' Park and The Mall is great if the weather is OK.

Wicked is a great musical and I think they sell tickets for that night's performance at around 8:30am from the box office for around £20 but it might be worth investigating first.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get your oyster cards to get value when travelling round.
    China Town is nice for one of your meals, next to Leicester Square which also has a weatherspoons for a cheap (for London) beer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The south bank of the river is nice to walk along from the Millennium Bridge at the Tate to Westminster with lots of free street entertainment.

Take a walk on the wild side and visit Hackney Central on a 56 bus.

Go and enjoy Greenwich and walk under the Thames for free.

Buy the weekend papers the day before in the west end.

Take the free ferry across the river at Wollwich and enjoy the real east end.

Visit the Bank of England to learn about money and hold a real gold bar. Free

See the great views of London from one of London's tallest building the former NatWest Tower now called Tower 42. Tell reception your going to the bar at the top. Its all free.

Thanks
    Karma Level

we have eaten here a few times its right opposite covent garden station and is pretty reasionable for london http://www.maxwells.co.uk/

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated, :-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I second the cruise

jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

quite a few places in chinatown are reasonably priced, we had a meal for 2 which was about 24 quid I think. Take some good walking shoes, its hard on your feet walking all day, especially if you goto a few museums, some of them are bloody huge.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Depends on your age and stage of relationship, but the museums are ace. There are a few together if I remember rightly and they have genuinely interesting stuff in them. I think probably not very suitable if you are going to be cuddling and giggling and are in the early don't-hate-eachother-yet stage of your relationship though, because you do really need to pay attention and read a few of the labels and stuff to get the most out of it which is likely to be a bit tedious if she is just thinking about shopping and you are just thinking about shagging her. For single people or mature couples it's amazing though, certainly the best I've been too and all totally free too.

London Eye is quite cool, I enjoyed it. That whole area is quite fun in the early evening, along the side of the river. Lots of stereotypical Londony stuff.

Awesome restaurant if you like steak and chips done in a slightly posh way - http://www.relaisdevenise.com/ You can't book so you queue to get in, then you choose your wine and say how you want your steak and there are no other choices. I have had extremely good steak before but this place was something else. It's a bit of a gimick but the food is actually good enough to warrant it all, and you would struggle to pick a bad wine from their list. Very recommended.

Even in the centre don't be afraid to go for drinks. I forget the name but there is a chain of pubs that are really nice inside with friendly customers, and sell own-brand drinks which are actually nicer than the brand-names at about £2.40 a pint. All I ever hear about London is that drinks cost too much and nobody talks to strangers but actually people talk when they have something worth saying and cheap drinks are readily available. It's always a pleasant surprise to me.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

#3 for eating out in Chinatown, the street itself is just fun to walk down

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some cheap theatre tickets here for Flashdance...
    http://www.timeout.com/london/theatr...ter-flashdance

I also frequent The Warwick every Friday evening. It's on Brewer street near Piccadilly circus and has half price drinks every week night between 5 and 8pm. Makes for some very cheap drinking in a really nice bar. They have a DJ and dance floor down stairs and they're open until 3. I think there is another pub in the same chain called Gem Bar also just off Regent Street which has the same set up.
    I am declairing war!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Go see Jersey Boys, its showing just off Charing Cross Rd and is brilliant. It has an Eds Diner acrosss the road which isn't to bad either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As above, when i went last i went for the cruise, the eye, leicester sq for a few beers and china town. I also ventured into soho for the night life.
    Went to maddam tussards and i can say i enjoyed it, i also had the queue jump pass which was good as there was a right queue.

Got the underground day saver things for only a few quid and so went around by buckingham palace, over to harrods and then went down by the embankment.
    I stayed over in stratofrd which was a bit far out and a mistake of mine, next time i am going to get nr covent garden etc..

have a nice trip !

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks all! well its kinda the first stages of the "relationship" so , at the point where - the stereotypical touristy stuff is what we want to do. Chinatown sounds like a good idea, ill suggest that to her, and will also see about a show instead, the lion kind or flashdance would be my first choices?

Thanks
    Karma Level

seen the Lion King and its very good, but Jersey Boys is better. Les Miserables is awesome as well but is one of the classics rather than a newer updated musical like the other two.

Foodwise, Scotts in Mayfair is absolutely superb, but you need to book and i would do it quickly if i were you! Its very popular with celebs as well (although not celeb-only prices)
    We did visit Chinatown while we were there and to be honest the food we had wasn't even as good as my local takeaway, although we did go to a chinese called Kai (Mayfair) which was featured on Ramsays Best Restaurant last night on channel 4, that was pretty good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast