Close

Thread: Routers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Routers.

Hello,
    Just have few questions on routers.

I have a cable broadband internet connection and am using an old netgear router. My 2 PC’s are wired into the router through a RJ45 connection. I am thinking of getting a laptop. As new laptop’s come with a wireless connections, I would like my 2 old desktop PC’s to run through the RJ45 and laptop’s or phones etc...... to run wirelessly.

I have had a look at a few routers, but was recommended the Linksys wireless-N broadband router.

Is this a good router to go for ?
    Can I run 2 Pc’s through rj45 cables and the rest wirelessly ?
    Is it secure to run these, this way ? Do they come with password security software or do I have to get that from somewhere else ?
    Also what is the difference between N and N++ router ? Are these speeds ?
    If so then will the laptops specs or other attachments affect the speed download/upload speeds ? What I mean is will it start downloading at the lowest speed of an attachment ?

Any additional information is most welcome too as I’m not an expert on routers. Also the best way to get the most out of my cable broadband connection ?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Routers.

Wireless N is only required if your house is massive and you need more then 50mb wireless (sayfor 1080P wireless streaming etc)

If your not doing anything bandwidth heavy then do what I used to do (when i had cable)

Buy this..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...98011&T=Module

plug your cable modem in the WAN port (like in your current netgear) Plug your 2 machines in directly into the router(like you currently are) and then login into the router and setup security for your wireless(I'd recommend WPA as WEP can be compromised in a few minutes)

Yes you can have all machines using the internet at the same time. As long as you got security running on your wifi then your network is secure.

Download speeds will be affected if all machines are downloading at once but if its general browsing then you'll hardly notice. If 2 machines are just browsing and the 3rd attempts to download then that machine will be given priority over traffic but again it depends on how big the file is, where its coming from etc..loads of variables.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    Wireless N is only required if your house is massive and you need more then 50mb wireless (sayfor 1080P wireless streaming etc)

If your not doing anything bandwidth heavy then do what I used to do (when i had cable)

Buy this..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...98011&T=Module

plug your cable modem in the WAN port (like in your current netgear) Plug your 2 machines in directly into the router(like you currently are) and then login into the router and setup security for your wireless(I'd recommend WPA as WEP can be compromised in a few minutes)

Yes you can have all machines using the internet at the same time. As long as you got security running on your wifi then your network is secure.

Download speeds will be affected if all machines are downloading at once but if its general browsing then you'll hardly notice. If 2 machines are just browsing and the 3rd attempts to download then that machine will be given priority over traffic but again it depends on how big the file is, where its coming from etc..loads of variables.
    Thanks for the reply and info.

Theres quite a bit of info in the above passage that i didn't know about - as i'm not that knowledgable on routers.

Is the linksys any good though and how does it compare to the netgear (shown in the link above), as price wise there is only a difference of £10 for the Linksys wireless-N broadband router.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scarface2003 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and info.

Theres quite a bit of info in the above passage that i didn't know about - as i'm not that knowledgable on routers.

Is the linksys any good though and how does it compare to the netgear (shown in the link above), as price wise there is only a difference of £10 for the Linksys wireless-N broadband router.
    Linksys are good (owned by cisco) and there's alot of custom firmwares if you don't like the stock one you get. If you do purchase the wireless N router then make sure your laptop is wireless N compatible(Most only support b/g) or you might have to purchase a usb dongle.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

also make sure you get the right router for your modem adsl/dsl , if you isp is virmin media you could try them over the phone to a free router i did and recieved a nice shinny black d-link router big3

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by big3card View Post
    i did and recieved a nice shinny black d-link router big3
    I got one of those.. a dlink 615, added bonus is it's dd-wrt compatable without too much faffing about, got it doing all sorts!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Linksys are good (owned by cisco) and there's alot of custom firmwares if you don't like the stock one you get. If you do purchase the wireless N router then make sure your laptop is wireless N compatible(Most only support b/g) or you might have to purchase a usb dongle.
    Thanks - could you explain what N, B or G compatible is. I am on virgin media and hardwired. If the laptop is not N compatible, then would that mean that the broadband speed drop to a B or G grade ? or would it not work all together ?
    Also what if I get a compatible N laptop and get the optimum speed, and other members of the family want to use the wireless internet but do not have the N, how would the wireless router cope with that ?

Quote Originally Posted by big3card View Post
    also make sure you get the right router for your modem adsl/dsl , if you isp is virmin media you could try them over the phone to a free router i did and recieved a nice shinny black d-link router big3
    I tried asking Virgin media for a router but they were charging around £40 for it and did not budge in price - was hoping to get it for free too - but no joy, open to suggestion on how I could get it for free

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks - could you explain what N, B or G compatible is. I am on virgin media and hardwired. If the laptop is not N compatible, then would that mean that the broadband speed drop to a B or G grade ? or would it not work all together ?
    Also what if I get a compatible N laptop and get the optimum speed, and other members of the family want to use the wireless internet but do not have the N, how would the wireless router cope with that ?
    I tried asking Virgin media for a router but they were charging around £40 for it and did not budge in price - was hoping to get it for free too - but no joy, open to suggestion on how I could get it for free
    Your broadband speed wont drop if you use B or G (They are just older wireless frequencies) If your using wireless N and your other wireless devices dont support it then your stuffed lol..You'd have to switch to B or G.

None of those though will affect anything connected hardwired to the router.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your broadband speed wont drop if you use B or G (They are just older wireless frequencies) If your using wireless N and your other wireless devices dont support it then your stuffed lol..You'd have to switch to B or G.

None of those though will affect anything connected hardwired to the router.

Thanks for the advice.

Will have to look for a router using wireless B or G as I would like to connect all sorts to the wireless router without having to worry if its compatable or not. The hardwired was so simple - just plug and of you go - no compatability issue's.

I will ring Virgin media and see whether I can get one from them. If not any other recommendations on which router to go for ?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried asking Virgin media for a router but they were charging around £40 for it and did not budge in price - was hoping to get it for free too - but no joy, open to suggestion on how I could get it for free [/quote]

I had same problem with virgin so i opted to tell them to put me through to dissconnections, i have phone and 20mg plus basic tv.
    Told them sky broadband give free routers and if they didnt give me free router i would cancel my subs, within a few minutes they said no problem and sent me a dlink dir 615, just goes to show if you play hard with them they will back down, plus i was getting charged for 0845 0870 numbers at daft prices, rang them again got put through to dissconnections said i was going to bt as i was sick of getting charged to ring my bank, they gave me free 0845 and 0870

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice.

Will have to look for a router using wireless B or G as I would like to connect all sorts to the wireless router without having to worry if its compatable or not. The hardwired was so simple - just plug and of you go - no compatability issue's.

I will ring Virgin media and see whether I can get one from them. If not any other recommendations on which router to go for ?

Thanks.
    The netgear one I linked you to will be perfectly fine..enjoy mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you so much for all the replies.

I just rang Virgin - saying that I am going to leave and go with Sky. And they have said that they will send a router through the post. Will check it out when I get it through the post.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They have sent me a D-Link router. Not set it up yet, was trying to get a usb adapter out of them but they weren't budging. The adapter is about £20.