Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Auto Backing Up Specific Files

Hi Guys
    i dont even know if such a thing exists, but remember the old iomega software on the zip drives where in everytime you saved a file on your pc the software then saved a second copy automaticly onto the zip disk without you even having to remember to do it yourself.

It was nice and easy a it just did it no matter what

NOW, what id like to know is, can you do the same thing with a portable hard drive, does anyone know of anything that exists that will do EXACTLY what i just said and no variations, it HAS to be able to save a copy automaticly onto the portable hard drive, but ONLY when i click file/save to save it on my pc.

hope this makes sense and hope someone can help

all thoughts really appreciated

cheers
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Auto Backing Up Specific Files

Fbackup sound like just what you need....furthermore its free, been running it for only a week on a nightly basis and backs up just what you need. also a function to back up on deamnd. only snag for me is that when open it sits on my deskbar which i find annoying as i want it left running for the scedule. I rate it other than that. Try it out...

http://www.fbackup.com/

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you can use robocopy to do this - I've seen command line switches that appear to offer that kind of functionality but I can't say i've specifically tried to do this.

Thanks
    Karma Level

very nifty, thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers guys ill check em both out, so they both do just wot i want yes, as in save a copy ONLY when i save the file to pc???

thanks guys

from a quick scan fbackup only seem to backup when you CHOOSE backup, or does it when you schedule it, i neeed it to only do it when i click file save, its for a friend who isnt really into pc,s a lot and just wants an easy solution as in the auto backup when he clicks save, just like the old iomega software used to do

thanks, ill read it more and check out the robo one aswell

seems both will only backup when you choose run backup or schedule one, i need one that will do it with no intervention at all

am i getting it wrong about the old iomega one, DID it actually backup the files on its own, im sure i remember that i used to do it years ago, but my old brain cells are failing me now, does anyone even remember th eiomega one im on about??

thanks for the links
    Last edited by Freaky; 1st October 2010 at 02:33 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Im a bit confused by what you mean when you click file save, do u mean editing a file and saving or a new file. If its real time backup your require then Virgins Vstuff will back up individual folders and contents with no intervention at all but its so slow, currently has a 2gb file limit size and unfortunately only available to Virgin Customers. Brilliant for Photos and office documents but piss poor for music and media.

Going back to fbackup, is it that hard for any pc novice to click a huge button that says 'back up now'? If so then maybe they shouldnt be looking at saving any files at all?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvoix View Post
    Im a bit confused by what you mean when you click file save, do u mean editing a file and saving or a new file. If its real time backup your require then Virgins Vstuff will back up individual folders and contents with no intervention at all but its so slow, currently has a 2gb file limit size and unfortunately only available to Virgin Customers. Brilliant for Photos and office documents but piss poor for music and media.

Going back to fbackup, is it that hard for any pc novice to click a huge button that says 'back up now'? If so then maybe they shouldnt be looking at saving any files at all?
    yes m8 i mean files that are going to be edited on almost a daily basis, and its ONLY going to be office documents and not music or photos, and no its not that hard for any novie to cluck a huge button that says backup now, its just that i said about doing it with no intervention at all and that just appealed to him thats all.

im on virgin media but dont know nowt about vstuff, seems though all these progs do the same thing and backup only when you tell it to or schedule one, which aint what i told him lol, but looks like that one aint going to happen anyway.

thanks everyone for the replies

cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Depending on how much you need to back up you could use Windows Sky Drive. You tell it what folders you want to sync up and where it sync's too. It could be another PC or 5GB of free cloud storage. You can also use Dropbox as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dropbox does the exact thing you mention but its all cloud storage and not local based

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Freaky, If its only for office based documents, and your freind is on virgin, then this would be the only time i would reccomend Vstuff, again this is free software, backs up to an online server and the files can be recalled from any other PC without having to install any software on the other PC's. Its so simple to use, once the program is installed and configured, the drives or folders are automatically and silently backed up with any addition or change to the file in the folder. just have to wait for them to upload but even if you powerd down your machine before them being backed up, it will just continue once youve started up again.

On a personal scale for anyone reading who may be interested in Vstuff, I think its a great product offering unlimited storage for XXl usersor you can upgrade to unlimited for just a fiver a month for those on a lower package. Great for your mp3's but not for any videos plus as i said earlier i think, it has a 2GB size file limit...I did find uploads slow with an average of a 5mb mp3 taking anywhere around 2 - 5mins to upload on my 1.5Mbps upload. it has been about 8 months now since ive used the service, and i know virgin are constantly upgrading this software so the service maybe better now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Freaky, If its only for office based documents, and your freind is on virgin, then this would be the only time i would reccomend Vstuff, again this is free software, backs up to an online server and the files can be recalled from any other PC without having to install any software on the other PC's. Its so simple to use, once the program is installed and configured, the drives or folders are automatically and silently backed up with any addition or change to the file in the folder. just have to wait for them to upload but even if you powerd down your machine before them being backed up, it will just continue once youve started up again.

On a personal scale for anyone reading who may be interested in Vstuff, I think its a great product offering unlimited storage for XXl usersor you can upgrade to unlimited for just a fiver a month for those on a lower package. Great for your mp3's but not for any videos plus as i said earlier i think, it has a 2GB size file limit...I did find uploads slow with an average of a 5mb mp3 taking anywhere around 2 - 5mins to upload on my 1.5Mbps upload. it has been about 8 months now since ive used the service, and i know virgin are constantly upgrading this software so the service maybe better now.
    i installed it last nite but i was falling asleep so havent looked really yet

so does it back up at schedu;led times?? or when u click it or what??

thanks m8

and thats again everyone who posted, some interesting stuff

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As i remember it you initially configure what drives or folders you require for online backup. As files get added/deleted or modified to the folder or drive it automatically updates the backup folder online. If you have a few big files then it simply goes into a queue for upload. Think you get a notification pop up by the clock advising you that whatever has been added to back up. Think there is an option for schedules, but real time would be the one you require.

Check out virgin media forum link below....mostly disgruntled customers but gives u an idea

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/V-Stuff/bd-p/vstuff

Thanks
    Karma Level

Memeo Autobackup does EXACTLY what you asked for...

http://www.memeo.com/memeo_autoBackup_info.htm

It's designed to monitor folders and backup files to an external hard drive every time you save them. I set it up for my Dad and it's pretty good at what it does. Did notice a little slow down on the PC though as it's constantly monitoring the file writes to your hard drive but this will happen with all types of software that are designed to do this to varying degrees... I'd 'try before you buy'.
    Last edited by Mr.James; 2nd October 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    Memeo Autobackup does EXACTLY what you asked for...

http://www.memeo.com/memeo_autoBackup_info.htm

It's designed to monitor folders and backup files to an external hard drive every time you save them. I set it up for my Dad and it's pretty good at what it does. Did notice a little slow down on the PC though as it's constantly monitoring the file writes to your hard drive but this will happen with all types of software that are designed to do this to varying degrees... I'd 'try before you buy'.
    wicked man, sounds exactly what i need, thanks

As i remember it you initially configure what drives or folders you require for online backup. As files get added/deleted or modified to the folder or drive it automatically updates the backup folder online. If you have a few big files then it simply goes into a queue for upload. Think you get a notification pop up by the clock advising you that whatever has been added to back up. Think there is an option for schedules, but real time would be the one you require.

Check out virgin media forum link below....mostly disgruntled customers but gives u an idea

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/V-Stuff/bd-p/vstuff
    thanks m8 ill give it a go and see what its like

thanks a lot guys this really turned out interesting and didnt know there were so many lol

thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use this :-

http://www.secondcopy.com/index.html...FYr92AodBE_Ixw

Might do what you want. Available in all the usual places
    Sent frm my knckered kebard usin fingrs

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use FBackup daily, since losing an 80gb drive with all me kids photos etc ill never let that happen again, so now all photos are on 1 drive along with videos from me phone etc which is backed up everynight along with my website drive. once that backup is complete its all then backup again onto another drive.

Over the top? ill not lose 8 years a photos again i can tell ya lol
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”