Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default I want an Adroid phone. What one!?

Buying a new phone these days is a mine field. But I am convinced that I need an Android phone.

I've got the HTC Touch HD Blackstone on O2, but my signal strength is Dia! So T-Mobile here I come.

Now all I need to know is WHAT phone should I be looking at? The first time I spoke to T-Mobile they told me the Wildfire, but the spec is lower than the Desire.

I'm got a few in mind, but dont want to get caught out like I did last time. I want a phone thats usable...

So what Android phone would you recommend? Not necessarily the ones I have mentioned, but the one you like from experience.

This WILL ultimately help me decide on the phone to get so be truthful. Pro's and cons.

Help appreciated, as always. DF Love!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: I want an Adroid phone. What one!?

Desire HD.

Comes on tmobile some time next week.

Thanks
    Karma Level

desire at least, the wildfire is nice but definitely budget compared to the desire, as Sanj says if you can afford it hold on for the desire HD or the go for a samsung galaxy S although I personally have not had a good track record with samsung products build quality

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good call that man! Cheers SanJ.

I almost bought a phone earlier. They offered me the HTC Desire. £30 per month.

I googled Desire HD and found THIS!!

Absolute top banana! I knew asking on here before taking the plunge was a good idea!!

That Desire HD is to set the standards for Android phones apparently! I'm in!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    That Desire HD is to set the standards for Android phones apparently! I'm in!
    Until HTC release their next model in around 3 months. Don't get me wrong, I have a Desire and the Desire HD is going to be better. Most Desire owners are already enjoying Android 2.2 and the HD doesn't offer that much more apart from a better camera and bigger screen.

Always expect a better model to be just around the corner, so don't look back or forward, otherwise you will never buy.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you want to save a bit of cash, check out the Orange San Fransisco Android phone (see Biggys cheapskate corner). Its £79.99 (plus a tenner topup enforced) if you know someone working for the NHS or HP (and other companies probably)...£1.91 to unlock it, and its easily rooted and de-orange-fied. Its an excellent introduction to Droid phones and has a really nice OLED screen and is multi touch capacitive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Definitely the Desire HD or Desire Z. The Orange San Fransisco is obviously a budget entry level phone and won't be able to support everything that Android offers, it just isn't up to the job. If you want the full experience then get something with some grunt. The Samsung Galaxy S gets a lot of praise, the deal breaker for me was no camera flash. I got the Desire after having owned it for a few months it's still like a new toy because there is so much it can do.

There are no end of ROM's out for the existing Desire, the amount of customisation is mental!
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Samsung Galaxy S or the Desire

nothing else comes close imo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    If you want to save a bit of cash, check out the Orange San Fransisco Android phone (see Biggys cheapskate corner). Its £79.99 (plus a tenner topup enforced) if you know someone working for the NHS or HP (and other companies probably)...£1.91 to unlock it, and its easily rooted and de-orange-fied. Its an excellent introduction to Droid phones and has a really nice OLED screen and is multi touch capacitive.
    Gotta say I love my San Francisco, my first Android phone, was on winmobile before, Android is so much easier to use.
    It does everything I want, I bought it as a cheap upgrade till I decided what I wanted, was looking at the desire HD, but i'm sticking with this now for a while, who knows what'll be about in 12 months time
    Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat, sooner or later you get pissed off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the Samsung Galaxy has the edge, mainly because of its huge on-board memory but the HTC handsets are better made. Just nip into a shop and caress a few in-store, they usually have all the current models on display in the 02 shop.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Depends what features you want, what you want it to do etc etc. I have both the HTC Wildfire and the 16gb Samsung galaxy S. The wildfire is a great budget phone, obviously the Sammy is leaps & bounds ahead but then it would be would'nt it!.

IMHO, the HD HTC desire is a big disappointment. I would pick the Sammy over it every day!.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
    Gotta say I love my San Francisco, my first Android phone, was on winmobile before, Android is so much easier to use.
    It does everything I want, I bought it as a cheap upgrade till I decided what I wanted, was looking at the desire HD, but i'm sticking with this now for a while, who knows what'll be about in 12 months time
    I love my SanF too, especialy after I rooted and de-branded it (got rid of all the orange crap).
    Its a fair point regarding the what will be about in 12 months time, phones seem to be progressing really quickly of late, and whilst I was keen to get a new phone, I was reluctant to get locked into an 18 or even worse, 24 month contract, that seem to be the norm these days.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The new HD or Z, both out soon. I have the desire and love it but may well get the Z for the keyboard.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm going to say Desire if you can get it on a shortish contract. I have one, and yes the HD looks great with that larger screen but from what I can see the hardware isn't much of an upgrade over the Desire.

Also, if you're into customisation of phones, roms and what not, the Desire scene has matured now and there is allot of options. I was considering selling my Desire and moving to the HD, but I'm thinking of waiting until their next release of an android 4" screen phone and with HTC that won't be long.