Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Who owns a Cross trainer ?

I'm looking at getting something a little more robust than I had before. Something that also doesn't fucking squeak.

I had one off Ebay second hand for £60 some time ago and it certainly got used.

The trouble is it seems to be a bit hit and miss with buying them, as from what I've been reading on reviews, the expensive ones aren't always good quality at all.

I'm looking very much at the Brand Bremshey but would probably want to buy second hand. I've read many reviews that these things are hard to assemble from new due to the Instructions and diagrams being shit.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/.../10007_0b.html

This is not a WANTED thread so please don't post any offers of sales you may have.

I'm purely looking at your recommendations and experiences.

I'm certainly not into any Argos or Comet shit.

Let's hear your opinions please.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Who owns a Cross trainer ?

I used to import and sell cross trainers from china a few years ago, and they were all creeky and rubbish.

Brother in law brought a kettler one that i was quite impressed with, very sturdy and much better than any of the one's i've used in the past, good enough for me to be thinking of getting another one when i move house.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a Horizon Andes that I sold to Reverend on here. It was very robust (i was nigh on 20stone at the time) and worked very well. Reverend may still have it, he will be able to recommend it too I imagine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    I had a Horizon Andes that I sold to Reverend on here. It was very robust (i was nigh on 20stone at the time) and worked very well. Reverend may still have it, he will be able to recommend it too I imagine.
    Haha yeah it's still going strong mate, about to use it again in a minute!

Had a few months off as I've been proper badly but started using it again the last week or so and it's fine, it just knackers me out!

I'm just under 18 stone and it's got no problems with me either!

It definitely takes some hammer - I was in John Lewis the other week and they had some which looked seriously robust - might be worth a look there to test theirs out?

Thanks
    Karma Level

This Sunday I'm picking up a lightly used Tunturi C65 cross trainer which I won at auction. Its supposed to be the bollocks, a precision Finnish made machine with colour display, plenty of interesting challenges and a respectable 19" stride length. Its got a 38kg flywheel, which means a very sturdy machine with smooth motion and good magnetic braking.

The only other models I've tried are from the German brand Kettler, their French showroom in Rosheim is only a short drive from me so I spent an enjoyable afternoon playing around with their full range of equipment. From Kettler the best machines are in the Satura Extended range, these machines have an extended stride length which means a less bouncy, more natural and flowing movement as you are using a longer stride.

These are all pretty pricey machines, but if you get a good second hand deal and there is still some warranty left, you're laughing. Most of the higher end home machines are also permitted to be used for light commercial use.. so they clearly stand by their products.

Good luck, and I'll let you know how I get on with my Tunturi.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just managed to bag a Bremshey Orbit Control-C16

for £82 on Ebay.
    2 Years old but looks to be in good condition.
    Down side is I will have to drive from Kent to Swindon next weekend earliest to collect it.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...er/9206_p.html
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've noticed quite a few various cross trainers over the past couple of years in charity shops in my area. Can't say I'm savvy on makes/quality etc. but some have looked the business and as new and usually very cheap as well. I guess the original buyers got it on impulse and lost interest maybe.

Always worth a browse of any charity shops in your area if you're in the market for one.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

What a silly sod am I.. drove all the way in a hire van to Zurich to pick up the cross trainer and missed the fact that it didn't have a power adapter. The seller will post this on, but it just means I can't have a play this evening .

Anyway just running it without power, the movement of the Tunturi feels very smooth and natural and given that I'm over 6ft the longer stride length (19") is very much welcome. There is a little annoying squeak from the wheels as they move up and down the runners, so I smeared some spit on the rails and the squeak disappeared for a min or two before coming back... I think some nice sticky axle grease should do the job. Overall very pleased with my purchase, the seller paid 2,700 francs for it last year and I picked it up for 690 francs with 2 years left on the comprehensive warranty
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    I've noticed quite a few various cross trainers over the past couple of years in charity shops in my area. Can't say I'm savvy on makes/quality etc. but some have looked the business and as new and usually very cheap as well. I guess the original buyers got it on impulse and lost interest maybe.

Always worth a browse of any charity shops in your area if you're in the market for one.

v true, our local cancer research shop had a carl lewis cross trainer and spinning cycle for about £140 the pair t'other week.