Close

Thread: Interview tips?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Interview tips?

I've got an interview on Friday for a job at my local hospital for the NHS. The role is working in the blood science lab as a medical assistant. So basic data input and such I'm guessing and lots and lots of blood

Anyway, I'm constantly shit at interviews so can anyone give me any tips on possible questions to ask or on what responses to give?

The interview is with about 3 people which doesn't really help either!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Interview tips?

First of all, remember that for them to have chosen you for an interview, means that you already have your foot in the door. They've chosen you because your CV has shown them on paper that you are what they are looking for.

Take confidence from this because what the interview is mostly about is getting to know what kind of person you are in real life. Be polite and confident in your answers but also try to be as honest as you can too. Honesty is a lot easier to express than bullshit.

Also remember that up to a certain extent, you are interviewing them too. Don't be afraid to ask them questions about the position, what type of person they are looking for and what direction/future prospects the job holds.

Don't appear too desperate for the job but do make it clear that you think it's an ideal position for you to continue and improve your career.

I won't tell you to turn on the charm (unless you are in fact a charmer) but by showing you are comfortable and confident talking to them on the same level, shows them that you're not some lurker that hides in the shadows.

That's all I can think of for now

Thanks
    Karma Level

A job like that I guess they want to hear stuff like someone who pays attention to detail, understands the meaning of the data protection act, is thorough and efficient etc.

Don't bullshit too much, but don't undersell yourself either. Be presentable, make good eye contact, look attentive when they're speaking, dont fidget and don't be afraid of taking a moment to think of an answer to a question so you phrase it correctly.

Try to think of examples of previous work or life experience that you could have used skills that may apply to this job, and keep those in mind in case they ask.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Eye contact,make sure you turn up 10-15 minutes early and wear a suit n tie!
    Last edited by Sanj[UK]; 3rd October 2010 at 03:45 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't forget a good firm handshake, always helps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i believe that much success is due to social skills, what i mean by that is they need someone who has the skills etc but importantly they need someone who will get on with colleagues, clients etc.

smile and try and get them to smile. if they 'like your personality', if on balance you are up against someone with similar skills you will pip them. all because they 'liked you'.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well just had the interview.

Got their ten minutes early but due to the fact that the place was fricken huge I got lost and got their a few minutes past 12

Their were two interviewers, one bloke seemed a but quite and didn't let on to much (might be because i'm 6ft odd and he was 5ft nothing ) The other guy was alright though and was laughing at some of my responses (not sure if that is a good sign..)

Interview lasted about half hour and it seemed like a cool job. He said they'll let me know next week so here's hoping!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

best of luck mate