Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default UK travellers warned over Europe - What?

UK travellers warned over Europe

The Foreign Office has updated its travel advice for Europe, warning of a "high threat" of attacks in countries including France and Germany.
    Previously it had advised only of a "general threat" but an FCO spokeswoman said the safety of Britons abroad was of major concern.

The US has also advised vigilance in Europe because of the threat of an unspecific al-Qaeda attack.

The UK's threat level, as set by the Home Office, remains severe.
    The FCO spokeswoman said: "Like other large European countries, [France and Germany] have a high threat of terrorism, which is reflected in our updated travel advice.

Analysis Frank Gardner BBC security correspondent
    There are two threat scales. There is the one to Britons in Britain put out by the Home Office and that remains unchanged at severe.
    The second is the threat to Britons abroad and that is the Foreign Office's responsibility. It has raised it to the highest level possible of alert for Britons in France and Germany. It's gone up to high and is advising Britons to be vigilant.
    It's very non-specific but is in response to the current threat perceived from al-Qaeda who are trying to put together a team of jihadists in the manner of the Mumbai attacks two years ago.
    There is an element of back cover in all of this. After the Bali bombing of 2002, there was a huge row about why MI5 didn't give people sufficient warning about how dangerous the threat was in Bali.

"We therefore attach great importance to providing information about personal safety and security overseas to enable people to make informed decisions about travel."

'Indiscriminate attacks' On its website, the FCO said: "Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers."
    The new level is the highest the FCO records and is based on information from a variety of sources including the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre, security and intelligence agencies, diplomatic and media reports, local knowledge and embassy reports.
    In the UK the highest level that can be reached is critical - when an attack is expected imminently. The current threat level indicates an attack is "highly likely".
    Security sources have warned of an al-Qaeda plan to send teams of gunmen to crowded places to kill civilians.
    They said cities in the UK, France and Germany were thought to be targets for the militants, in attacks analysts feared could be similar to the 2008 atrocities in Mumbai.

Responding to the US warning, which referred to the whole of Europe, including the UK, Home Secretary Theresa May said: "The first and most important duty of this government is the protection and security of the British people and visitors to the UK."

In a statement issued on her behalf, Ms May said: "As we have consistently made clear, we face a real and serious threat from terrorism. Our threat level remains at "severe" - meaning that an attack is highly likely.
    "We work closely with our international partners in countering terrorism and the US advice is consistent with our assessment.
    "I would urge the public to report any suspicious activity to the police in support of the efforts of our security services to discover, track and disrupt terrorist activity."
    Continue reading the main story FCO threat level classifications

• High - a high level of known terrorist activity
    • General - some level of known terrorist activity
    • Underlying - a low level of known terrorist activity
    • Low - no or limited known terrorist activity

Source: FCO

Foreign Secretary William Hague said the updated travel guidance from the US "reinforces the need for vigilance".
    "We can't comment on the specifics but the need for vigilance is very strong," he said.
    The US state department advised Americans to take care while in tourist areas.
    The department did not specify a country, issuing the updated guidance for the whole of Europe.
    A White House spokesman said: "From the day we became aware of this latest plot, the president made clear we need to do everything possible to disrupt this plot and protect the American people. Whether the State Department issues a travel alert is the decision of the State Department but this alert is responsive to the President's direction that we spare no effort."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11462595

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I just read that I was I having another fucking crack induced dream? Are we stupid enough to believe this fear mongering?

There's more chance of you getting a complimentary drink on a Ryanair flight than being killed in a terrorist attack in either France, Germany or the UK. Do they really think we are so fucking dumb?

Fuck the BBC too for deeming it newsworthy. Cunts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: UK travellers warned over Europe - What?

Been running this for over a week now so my opinion is they are cooking up another restrictive law for our own protection.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Been running this for over a week now so my opinion is they are cooking up another restrictive law for our own protection.
    my initial thoughts were that theyve heard something but on reflection what you say above is, cynically, very likely

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thing I don't understand is, surely people don't take this with a pinch of salt? Yes fair enough - I wouldn't travel to a war zone, but France & Germany??? I've got several cheap holidays in the past because I was willing to travel when the advice was all but essential travel. If the carriers aren't willing to take you, then you know theres an issue - if they're still flying then theres no problem.

Plus what is the actual risk when it comes down to it. Even if something does happen when you're in the same City, for you to be actually involved must be hundreds of thousands to one. Scare mongering wank, thats what this is.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unless you planned driving a fuel tanker from Pakistan to Afghanistan I think you'll be ok.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Did I just read that I was I having another fucking crack induced dream?
    Probably a bit from Column A and a bit from Column B

Are we stupid enough to believe this fear mongering?
    If we is the general, ignorant populous, yes. We will go for it hook line and sinker.

There's more chance of you getting a complimentary drink on a Ryanair flight than being killed in a terrorist attack in either France, Germany or the UK. Do they really think we are so fucking dumb?
    There is no question about it, we really are.

And I proved it by responding to your rhetorical questions.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Reading the goverments websites etc and Im going to Turkey at the end of the month.

Im taking a flack jacket, a tank, bodyguard and the royal marines just in case.

God I hate the country and how retrictive its getting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Reading the goverments websites etc and Im going to Turkey at the end of the month.

Im taking a flack jacket, a tank, bodyguard and the royal marines just in case.

God I hate the country and how retrictive its getting.
    You planning on doing a boat trip from Turkey to the Gaza strip then ?

Didn't have you down as a peace activist.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL

Thanks
    Karma Level

What's with these absurdly oversized berets that I saw the French soldiers wearing as they patrolled the Eiffel tower!?!? They look absolutely ridiculous and more importantly they also obscure the soldiers view as it prevents them from seeing what's happening to their left. Their view should be completely unimpeded considering the fact they're holding machine guns amongst civilians.

Last edited by -AMO-; 5th October 2010 at 11:16 AM.
    If Circles were Squares and the Sea was the Sky...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by -AMO- View Post
    What's with these absurdly oversized berets that I saw the French soldiers wearing as they patrolled the Eiffel tower!?!? They look absolutely ridiculous and more importantly they also obscure the soldiers view as it prevents them from seeing what's happening to their left. Their view should be completely unimpeded considering the fact they're holding machine guns amongst civilians.

You're presuming that they're going to fight if something kicks off? As long as they turn to their right as they run away they'll be fine
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy