Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Geohot’s Return with Limera1n is REAL ! Can Jailbreak all iOS 4.1 Devices for Life!

guess whos back in town

Geohot has made a dramatic return to iPhone jailbreak scene with a complete new bootrom exploit and tool to pwn all current iOS devices on iOS 4.1 for life! He has been out for months, but his return is surely going to please everyone, specially the 3rd-generation iPhone and iPod touch owners who were left out by SHAtter based GreenPois0n.

This news has been confirmed by members of Chronic Dev Team on Twitter, to whom Geohot has confirmed about his return with a complete new tool dubbed as Limera1n. Chronic Dev Team of course isn’t too pleased with it, they want Geohot to save this new bootrom exploit for the future next-gen iPad 2 and iPhone 5 devices.

p0sixninja: yes, the news about geohot is true, the day after we release ETA he decides he wants a piece of the #pie

p0sixninja: and yes it is a different bootrom exploit, he wants us to use it in GP, but there’s no way we’ll make our ETA if we do

chronicdevteam: Note greenpois0n will be released as planned. if someone decides to burn a different perfectly good exploit, that is entirely on them.

chronicdevteam: It is actually him.

chronicdevteam: because his different exploit can be saved for new iphone / ipad / ipod, AND 3G S, you’d just have to wait a little longer

cdevwill: [7:45pm] geohot: eh, i’ll just steal your exploit [7:45pm] geohot: and beat you to the release Sounds like a nice guy.

Geohot seems to have timed it to perfection. 10/11/10 (October 11), the ETA of limera1n is exactly one year after blackra1n was released to public for iOS 3.1.2.

StealthBravo: The significance of 10/11/10 is that its the one year anniversary of blackra1n’s release. 10/11/10 is the targeted release of limera1n

So what do you guys think about this? Should Geohot save his exploit for the next-generation iOS devices? Or should he just go ahead and release Limera1n on 10/11/10, that is right after Chronic Dev Team has released GreenPois0n? Let us know what you think about this in the comments section below.

Code:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/limera1n-j...s-4.1-is-real/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Geohot’s Return with Limera1n is REAL ! Can Jailbreak all iOS 4.1 Devices for Lif

The pwned 4 life thing is a bit misleading. It's a tethered jailbreak and uses a secondary userland jailbreak to untether. People are a bit put out that he's going to expose a different bootrom exploit that dev team etc. were hoping to keep for the future
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Geohot’s Return with Limera1n is REAL ! Can Jailbreak all iOS 4.1 Devices for Lif

He is a glory hunting dick and doing nothing to help users really.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    He is a glory hunting dick and doing nothing to help users really.
    I agree he is a Glory hunting Dick but he doesn't charge for it so there must be some motivation as to why he does these things.
    To say he doesn't help users as a general statement is ridiculous to hear from a Savvy dude like you Bert !

Thanks
    Karma Level

As bert says he is a glory hunter. Releases, sticks 2 fingers up in the air to the community. I honestly think it's some kind of superiority complex thing and he genuinely thinks that without him nothing would ever happen. He also has the complete inability to admit when he's got something wrong. Fair play to him for what he has done for everyone but I don't like the way he speaks to the rest of the community while doing it. Musclenerd (for example) is always polite and helpful. Geohot never is
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

He's a l33t dude, that's all

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Its one against the other and all they want is there name in lights and get the glory.

Would make sense to keep one exploit on the back burner and not let Apple close the hole on 2 exploits at once.

Shame they could not work together and not just look for glory.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    I agree he is a Glory hunting Dick but he doesn't charge for it so there must be some motivation as to why he does these things.
    To say he doesn't help users as a general statement is ridiculous to hear from a Savvy dude like you Bert !
    My point about him not helping users relates to him wasting an exploit and basically handing it to Apple to patch. If he hadn't bothered he could have been the first to JB the next iOS version.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the dude I think he brings a lot to the scene more than most. I think he has the right to brag and be big because he a fucking genius

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

From twitter
    notcom semaphore

I warn you. DON'T use limera1n. It is likely to mess up your device since it uses a BETA version of the untether (stolen) from @comex

known bugs being fixed
    Last edited by littlebilly1; 9th October 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I just tested on my iPhone4 4.0.2 and it worked like a dream

//Bod

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

does this install cydia?

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes but you have to click on Limera1n icon and install it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shatter is been held back now, this release is apparently buggy and the devteam are going to fix this exploit properly and not use their method, so they dont burn two exploits at once.
    This release is apparently very buggy and hasnt been properly tested.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just heard geohot referred to as "egohot" on irc which, if a typo, is an apt one

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Worked fine for me iPhone 4 iOS 4.1,
    Malty he's been "egohot" a lot tonight on my timeline on twitter

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to put a different spin on things, I was reading after all this kicked off that Geohot is using a different exploit to SHAtter which has actually already been fixed by Apple in the latest dev versions but not in 4.1.

So basically he's released this to stop the dev team putting out SHAtter so that their exploit which hasn't been fixed in the latest versions as of yet has potential further down the road to work on 4.2

Sounds like he's definitely rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way but from an outsiders point of view it could actually be for the best from a longer term point of view!

The kid is a genius though - read he's doing biotech and he's interested in reprogramming the brain - if he fulfills his potential he could go down in history rather than just being te guy who caused Apple a bit of grief!

Thanks
    Karma Level

apple can't patch bootrom exploits, the bootrom is flashed at the factory and can never be updated. Both of the exploits in question are bootrom exploits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast