Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Junior Web Designer interview...

In addition to one interview that i've got tomorrow for the NHS (thread) ive been given another interview on Monday for a junior web design role for a local company that provides "web based estate agent software"

The advert list's knowledge of html/css, Photoshop and Dreamweaver were needed... which I have, be it a bit limited but it's simple enough.

Question is, will I have to take examples of websites that ive previously made? I've never been for a web design role before.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Junior Web Designer interview...

I would be shocked if they didnt ask to see some form of portfolio - otherwise they are only hiring you on your word.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah i would imagine most would want to see some sort of portfolio mate, if your serious about going down the Web Design route i would suggest purchasing a couple of .co.uk domains (they are quite cheap) and some cheap web hosting and get a few example sites up to demonstrate to people, they could be for your friends business' or hobby sites etc.

you could possibly get these setup in time for monday if you acted quickly but even then im not sure

good luck with them both anyway mate
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As someone who hires people like this I rarely ask to see a portfolio, I prefer to ask questions about your coding skills. If its a design role then yes, we ask for the portfolio, but I generally find asking to see people's websites if its for a code role helps. Couple of reasons, mainly if they're asking for any kind of back-end code (php, asp etc) you can't see it anyway, but also because so many sites out there these days use elements of templates (joomla, wordpress, jquery plugins etc) its virtually impossible to tell what is done by whom.

I usually sit them down and ask basic html layout questions. Noddy stuff, such as how would you create a table of 3 rows by 4 columns, then how would you merge the header cells, stuff like that. Some basic css questions, again nothing too hard. Again with photoshop its probably more a matter of knowing how to use it, understanding layers etc than anything too design-led.

For junior roles it can often be more about the person than the ability - well it is with me - how they would fit into the team, how you feel they can learn your processes and guidelines. All I would say is just relax (easier said than done), answer questions audibly and speak clearly, don't mumble.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did they ask?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got back from the interview..

He did ask to see a couple of websites so I pointed him towards my blog's and he seemed satisfied. Also had a couple of design's with me and he seemed impressed He did ask me a few questions and I got a couple wrong. One was a bit silly as the previous question of "What character do you use to identify a div tag?" (which is a # tag) was the answer.. dohh!! The job seems more technical instead of the design which is a pity but hey ho.

Anyway, he seemed quite impressed and said I obviously knew what I was talking about So now its just a case of waiting. He said he'll let me know by tomorrow.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Keva View Post
    Just got back from the interview..

He did ask to see a couple of websites so I pointed him towards my blog's and he seemed satisfied. Also had a couple of design's with me and he seemed impressed He did ask me a few questions and I got a couple wrong. One was a bit silly as the previous question of "What character do you use to identify a div tag?" (which is a # tag) was the answer.. dohh!! The job seems more technical instead of the design which is a pity but hey ho.

Anyway, he seemed quite impressed and said I obviously knew what I was talking about So now its just a case of waiting. He said he'll let me know by tomorrow.
    sounds like your interview went well mate,

fingers crossed for tomorrow
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just an update, didn't hear anything today