Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Net is written in ink, not pencil

I had lunch with a headhunter yesterday who is helping us recruit a few senior people. Anyway she was telling me that quite a few of her bluechip clients were now employing the services of Cyber Detectives to look for any dirt on potential employees. Now I'm thinking that I've written some pretty dark shit on DF, stuff which I wouldn't even admit to my priest. And the thing is, its not even incriminating stuff they're looking for.. its signs that their potential new wage slave is hard working and not the kind of person that posts shit on forums 24/7 (obviously during working hours too).

So in some ways it pays to be anon, because whatever you write will be around for a lot longer than you... scary thought when you actually think about it, so please take care out there
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Net is written in ink, not pencil

I remember having the same thought a few years ago hence never using my real name on any forums.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Seems to me that those of us that were there when the net really took off (early 90's) are much more cautious with revealing our identities, those that joined in later don't seem to give a toss.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Problem is if other people who share your name post the dark stuff.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

im fooked, if i go for a job they will dig up getting my mate to bang the missus up the wrong un
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    im fooked, if i go for a job they will dig up getting my mate to bang the missus up the wrong un
    could put you in a better position det, you never know

however i have often thought about this and yeah i think it could end up being a problem for alot of people, for example the people that post shit on their facebook all the time about their shagging, drinking, drugs etc. which i know you can set to private but its just one example and they can cross reference your email on various other sites to know its you.

and remember its scary how long stuff stays on the net for
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be frank, I'm not worried about this in the slightest. Unless you're stupid enough to post your full name, address, phone number and bank details in an unsecured environment then there's nothing to be worried about. I post and will continue to post the absolute drivel I've been posting for the last 5 years and I won't bat an eyelid.

No one is going to dictate to me what I can and can't say in my own personal time and life. They can get fucked.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    To be frank, I'm not worried about this in the slightest. Unless you're stupid enough to post your full name, address, phone number and bank details in an unsecured environment then there's nothing to be worried about. I post and will continue to post the absolute drivel I've been posting for the last 5 years and I won't bat an eyelid.

No one is going to dictate to me what I can and can't say in my own personal time and life. They can get fucked.
    if your applying for a job tho and they look you up online and dont like what they see then they can decide not to take you and give any bullshit reason but it will still be because of what they have seen online

its ok saying that your not bothered but if you were in a position to get a good job (or any job at the moment) that you desperately needed but didnt because of something you had written then you would be seriously pissed

i dont agree with it myself but i can see more doing it
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wonder how many people have, or will.. rue the day they posted so much shite on the likes of Facebook lol.

I use it, and over time have added family, friends, some forum members, and friends of friends who've requested it (if they are fit looking).. and some of the 'status' updates they make do actually make me question their sanity... even so, it's usually so funny I don't delete them.. unless they constantly post those annoying attention seeking shite ones.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_2K View Post
    if your applying for a job tho and they look you up online and dont like what they see then they can decide not to take you and give any bullshit reason but it will still be because of what they have seen online

its ok saying that your not bothered but if you were in a position to get a good job (or any job at the moment) that you desperately needed but didnt because of something you had written then you would be seriously pissed

i dont agree with it myself but i can see more doing it
    I think it's just a minority of HR wankers trying to show their own bosses how forward thinking and dynamic they are being. Bollocks, if I go in to an interview, give the interviewer a firm handshake and a steady look in the eye then proceed to be exactly what they want, then I don't think any decent employer would be arsed in the slightest.

This is probably mostly aimed at nazi racists, peados and religious nutters anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    I think it's just a minority of HR wankers trying to show their own bosses how forward thinking and dynamic they are being. Bollocks, if I go in to an interview, give the interviewer a firm handshake and a steady look in the eye then proceed to be exactly what they want, then I don't think any decent employer would be arsed in the slightest.

This is probably mostly aimed at nazi racists, peados and religious nutters anyway.
    Mate, I hear ya however if they employ an agency to 'pre-screen' candidates then you won't even get to interview. There is no brain in this equation, its simply another outsourced, arbitary hurdle to make sure they get the right sort of corporate clone through the door. My point is that unlike a criminal record, bankrupcy etc.. the slate never gets wiped clean.

Its wrong, its repressive, its anti-free speech etc.. but then private companies can do whatever the fuck they like... Wecome to 21st century slavery.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Doesn't the internet reboot every 10 years and cache is cleared?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm an HR Wanker and tend to search about a bit when people apply for senior roles in our place.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Seems to me that those of us that were there when the net really took off (early 90's) are much more cautious with revealing our identities, those that joined in later don't seem to give a toss.
    Never a truer word said. I find those who understand the medium generally refrain from using Facebook, Twitter et al, or at least use a pseudonym.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Its wrong, its repressive, its anti-free speech etc.. but then private companies can do whatever the fuck they like... Wecome to 21st century slavery.
    I'm not so sure about that. If someone is daft enough to post bollocks on their Facebook page that would usually indicate their unworthiness for a position or might land their prospective employer in legal hot water, then fuck them.

I think everyone should have freedom of expression and that should not be censored in any way. But let's live in the real world. You are what you post online.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Agreed. Google my name and I don't appear anywhere. Facebook me and all you will get is a fully locked down account with a profile pic.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Happened since the dawn of time this ambitious lark! Screwing one over is a natural human trait unfortunately.
    ill stay the 'knowledgeable' bum I always will be!
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man