Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Anyone able to recomend me a projector

Looking to be buying a projector for my 30th but a bit unsure on what to get

Main worry is will it be for slideshows or movies, ie is the refresh rate high enough for watching films and using for xbox/ps3? Ideally with one of those remote controlled 200" inch screen

Seen a couple, anyone able to give me some pointers on whether they will do the job (despite what page says, always NTE "never trust ebay")

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HD-READY-PROJE...item3360e35e03

Looking to spend around £200 is it worth it or do you really need around 500 for a decent one
    [url=http://www.retrocollect.com/search/showcollection-390.html]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone able to recomend me a projector

that projector has a resolution of 800x600, not HD (but not sure if thats what your looking for?)

Havent looked at projector prices these days but I am pretty sure your going to need more than 200.
    Maybe have a look at second hand projectors,
    I have a Sanyo Z2 (1280x720) which was released in '04 I think, but still looks stunning with HD material. Ive seen a couple sell for 150ish now

Also maybe a Sharp XV-Z2000

You will have to look pretty hard though, not alot about, Also be careful with checking the number of hours used on a lamp, usually the life is around 2000 hours.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

for a decent projector, HD wise go for the Optoma HD200X, full 1080p.

I have one which im using right now. But as for spending £200 , your gonna need to increase your budget a lot for HD movies wise. mine cost me £782 and that is considered low budget.

would defo recomend the hd200x

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

on a side note, using that projector on a 92" screen, with xbox , sky hd and blu ray = mind blowing

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got a Sanyo Z3 about a year ago with 92 inch screen and spare bulb think I paid 250 on Avforums it's 720P and looks amazing! Have a look on there but I'd say if you want 200 inch you'd be better looking for 1080P

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice, that Optoma one looks impressive (checking the savings as i type)

One more question, is there any limit on how far the projector has to be a way from the screen??, room is quite rectangular so its going to be quite a short distance between the projector and the where the screen would be. Alterniatevly it would be to have the projector facing the window and using the beige curtains as a screen

Probably looking at about 8-10 feet away
    [url=http://www.retrocollect.com/search/showcollection-390.html]

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got an old super 8 one in the attic mate thats as close to wife letting me get one but was top notch in day even had sound,, saying that must rake it oiut and have a look at the old home movies one day
    all my advice is respectfully given and no offence is ever intended

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

beige curtains wont do, they'll mess with the colours. I had mine in front of a window in my last house and used a £20 white blackout blind from Ikea. Did the job very well until I got my electric screen.

The distance from the screen does matter to a certain degree. They all have zoom functions on to adjust the picture size but if the proj is too close then the screen will be limited to how big it gets. On most projectors though you should be looking at about a 96" screen when around 10 or so feet away.

You will definately need to spend £500+ on a decent one. You could start with a cheapo but you will get totally hooked on the screen size and want better pic/brightness. If your budget can stretch then spend as much as you can or you will regret it! Don't forget you'll need a good amp and speakers as well as the projectors don't produce sound.

HTH
    You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be all right!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Last time I had a projector i made a 6ftx5ft frame on the wall using dado rail so it was like a picture frame.
    Then paint inside the frame with black matt paint then two coats of dulux icestorm 5-6 matt paint

I was using a epsom ep82 projector could be wrong on the model but was deffo epsom, playing games was mint used to love playing burnout on the 360 with me mates winding up the yanks lol.

alas when we came round to decorating the mrs ripped the frame down so i bought a 50" plasma instead which is about to be changed for a 50" led 3d tv when a decent one drops to around the 1k mark.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”