Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Hefty physicist: Global warming is 'pseudoscientific fraud'

Hefty physicist: Global warming is 'pseudoscientific fraud'

'Academia corrupted' by flow of green greenbacks

By Lewis PageGet more from this author

A heavyweight American boffin has apparently dubbed the global warming movement "the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist", and resigned in protest from the American Physical Society, saying that the society has deliberately stifled debate on the subject.
    The prof's "resignation letter" is quoted in full at the website of the Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF), the warming-sceptic think tank set up by former UK Chancellor of the Exchequer and energy minister Nigel Lawson. The GWPF, apart from various British politicians, counts among its academic backers the renowned physicist Freeman Dyson.

In the letter, physicist Harold Lewis (emeritus prof at the University of California) writes as follows:

It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS [the American Physical Society] before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare ... I don't believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist.
    Lewis goes on to describe his and other climate-sceptic physicists' running feud with APS headquarters, in which the sceptics sought to prevent the APS from describing the case for human-driven global warming as "incontrovertible". The professor states that he and other sceptics were repeatedly stifled despite the fact that there were more than enough of them to call for a debate on the matter under the Society's rules: the sceptics weren't even allowed to email other society members.
    In Professor Lewis' opinion, physics in particular and science in general has been corrupted on the issue of climate change by the very large amounts of research funding and large numbers of academic jobs which are now completely dependent on global warming being a massive global menace. (As an example, British universities nowadays have on staff lecturers in "Carbon Management", advising us not to wash so much: famous US institutions also have such people.)
    Addressing APS President Curtis Callan of Princeton uni, Lewis writes:
    Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst. When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of the financial penalty for doing otherwise ... I'm not going to explore at just which point enlightened self-interest crosses the line into corruption, but a careful reading of the ClimateGate releases makes it clear that this is not an academic question.
    The letter can be read in full courtesy of the GWPF here. We've asked Professor Lewis for any further comment but haven't heard back from him as yet: we'll let you know if there's anything more. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10...nation_letter/
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hefty physicist: Global warming is 'pseudoscientific fraud'

I would put it in the same basket as the over-population myth.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

To actually put the kind of faith we are putting in these theories, shouldn't a similar amount of research be done intending to disprove them?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    To actually put the kind of faith we are putting in these theories, shouldn't a similar amount of research be done intending to disprove them?
    To be fair a number of industrial and oil company sponsored think tanks exist doing just that.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

To quote PJ O'Rourke from last week's Real Time with Bill Maher, 'There are 1.3 billion people in China and they all want a Buick.'

I'd echo that. It doesn't really matter if it's real or not. China, India and to a lesser extent Brazil, won't stifle their economic growth just because we want them to. The West has spent the last 100 years or so burning through fossil fuels and other natural resources, now it's their turn.

Personally I think overpopulation is the bigger issue and again, that's another run away train. We have no stomach to make the tough decisions needed to save us from a very bleak future.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That Bill Mahr episode was good. Have uou seen his new stand up ? The guy is spot on imo

Sent from my Epic 4G using Android Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

So are we all doomed or not?

Basically, I think I've been saying the same thing (though far less intelligently and based on very few facts ) that the whole climate change thing is wholly overblown. Its nice to see someone that I've never heard of representing a society I've never heard of having a bit of a moan and somewhat justifying my views though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    That Bill Mahr episode was good. Have uou seen his new stand up ? The guy is spot on imo

Sent from my Epic 4G using Android Tapatalk
    Yep, love his stand up and his films, did you see Religulous last year?

Been watching Real Time with Bill Maher for years. He always has great guests from both sides of the political divide. I especially liked that Republican tart he had on last week, S E Cupp. There is something very wrong about a staunch Republican who looks like that.

Spoiler:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The Human Population is fine, The earth with clean it self when it needs to, its fine. Fuck 'the brave new world'
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man