Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New Router advice please

Hi
    I will be moving house in the next few months and convinced myself I need to upgrade my router to a new flashy N one
    there is another reason tho and that is my GF's sister would like to connect too (she's about 50metres or so away) She will only be using the connection for general surfing but I'd like some advice on a suitable router please.
    I have had a quick look around and like the look of this:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/SA/en/products/WAG320N

and maybe this:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=8106

I like the USB feature also..and needs to be compatible with my PS3/Wii...
    it's also in the price range I wish to pay..
    so I would be grateful of any help and advice offered.

many thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New Router advice please

that dreytek is a quality piece of kit i was working with one yesterday does bloody everything and more a bit pricy but well worth it in my opinion. Almost military grade

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you thought about apple airport?
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC...co=MTMzNzU2NDk
    I have the time capsule and the Airport express
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB...co=MTMzNzc0MTQ

Dogs balls
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would steer clear of Linksys mate, for some reason I keep giving them another chance when they release a new line and it always causes too much hassle with networks going down and requiring a reboot, random fail to connects etc. I've heard Netgear's premium lines are very good, although because their budget lines were terrible I steer clear of those too. My BT Homehub works very well but the new N wireless ones remove a lot of advanced features.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Go for the Draytek I use them day in day out as I am a Draytek ANP (advanced network partner) the 2710n is a spot on bit of kit and good value its a cut down 2820n just does not have VPN server support the range of these is spot on as well one work of warning always set the wireless to chan 6 seems to have a better range.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Modcoms View Post
    Go for the Draytek I use them day in day out as I am a Draytek ANP (advanced network partner) the 2710n is a spot on bit of kit and good value its a cut down 2820n just does not have VPN server support the range of these is spot on as well one work of warning always set the wireless to chan 6 seems to have a better range.
    so would this easily reach my gf's sisters house if she had a suitable dongle?
    cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are after range, get an early bt business hub and flash it so it pumps out 500mw (uk legal limit is 100mw). Problem is, it's tricky getting an early one which hasn't been left online and has updated itself to f/w that can't get flashed. Also with the Singtel f/w that allows 500mw, there is no wpa2 option. If you do source any, let me know.

With regards to the drayteks, haven't used that particular one, although I had been considering them for joining lans on site offices.

One I am very familiar with is the 2820 series - 2820vn is a great little device - can plug 2 analogue handsets into it and set them up with voip accounts. Also the 2820's can do pretty much anything you want with a little router - can have an adsl and fallback/balance with an ethernet lan port, and some handy vpn features, I believe with latest f/w you can even plug in a usb drive and set it as an ftp server. I know there are some advanced parameters to play with the wifi that I know fa about so I don't mess with them.

The only thing I don't like about them is how they seem to be stuck to use some weird dns servers which sometimes may be inaccessible (one installed at a directors house on bt just will not see them). Normally get round this by setting up the dhcp leases in the router to point to whatever dns server I wish, it's just dissappointing not to be able to enter these under the wan settings, then use the 2820 as a dns server.

Don't get tempted by the 2820ippbx, I was the unlucky bastard to be the first one to get one in this country, I reckon it needs a few more f/w updates before it's ready for voip use, although does fine as a router.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post

Don't get tempted by the 2820ippbx, I was the unlucky bastard to be the first one to get one in this country, I reckon it needs a few more f/w updates before it's ready for voip use, although does fine as a router.
    Oh just talking to the guy at SEG and we about to test the IPPBX 3510 the first one i saw was 3 months ago the firmware was buggy and as it was a JAP unit so was the ENGRISH

you could team up the 2710nn with a AP-700 i have had 200mts on this with no problem and its B\G\N can do them for £50

In the office we use a Draytek 2955 with dual wan on C&W amazing bit of kit i love the SSL vpns.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh just talking to the guy at SEG and we about to test the IPPBX 3510 the first one i saw was 3 months ago the firmware was buggy and as it was a JAP unit so was the ENGRISH

you could team up the 2710nn with a AP-700 i have had 200mts on this with no problem and its B\G\N can do them for £50

In the office we use a Draytek 2955 with dual wan on C&W amazing bit of kit i love the SSL vpns.

Sorry to be going off topic - you may be interested to know modcoms, that we also got in the 24 port analogue adaptor with the ippbx - lovely bit of kit except it wouldn't transfer calls. Oh, and bits of engrish still present.

When I contacted seg, they released a f/w update which now will transfer calls, but they've timed the pulse to suit foreign phones with a flash button, they didn't seem too interested in getting the timing right to work with the uk R button. Only way to transfer is by hanging up momentarily (for just the right duration).

We got 2 x 2950's at head office - normally sweet, but need occasional reboots when site to site vpns start doing funny things.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol.. you both lost me!.. I just want good range.. easy to setup and good connection.. really like the DrayTek but don't want any issues with dns servers etc..

lol.. I lead a simple life..surf..download..stream to PS3..connect Wii ..wireless printing and use a external USB 2 HD on the network..

Thanks
    Karma Level

feck..this is getting confusing now! lol.. never had a Belkin before?.. any good?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=8883

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hijack a thread, but interested in this myself. I currently use a 2600VG but also a speedtouch 586v6. I love the draytek, but can't seem to get bridging (to a mikrotik) working on it so use the speedtouch which works fine, and lets me set a target SNR which the 2600 doesn't.

Can you let me know please, does the 2710 let you specify a target SNR as well as work in bridged mode?

Thanks, and sorry again for hijacking

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Avoid Belkin like the plague. Every wireless one I have owned goes tits up within 6 months! My mates one even caught fire and scorched his wall (dunno how though!).

I swear by Netgear. Reliable and do the job. Nothing to fancy, just works and is easy to setup.

Had my Cable one for 18 months and is still going strong.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Computi...er-N/~r417200/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mc.dodd View Post
    feck..this is getting confusing now! lol.. never had a Belkin before?.. any good?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=8883
    Go for the draytek its money well spent though its a little more money but you wont look back

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes and Yes you can specify any threshold and yes they work fine in bridged mode.

Thanks
    Karma Level

DrayTek it is then cheers guys, decision made

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just jumping on to add my hatred for Belkin and Linksys. For something made by cisco, Linksys are amazingly poor and just seem to drop for no reason. Belkin never seem any better. Draytek are excellent, Netgear are decent as are Dlink. I have a 2740r Dlink and it really is bulletproof. Turned my head from netgear which was hard to do.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got me interested now specially this:

As well as the primary ADSL interface, the Vigor 2820 features a secondary WAN port for Internet access. This is an Ethernet interface and can connect to a second ADSL modem, cable modem or any other Ethernet-based Internet feed. The secondary interface can be used either for WAN-Backup or load balancing.

Load Balancing (2 ADSL lines here) Ummmmmm interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    One I am very familiar with is the 2820 series - 2820vn is a great little device
    I’m alive and kicking yeh baby.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Realist View Post
    Got me interested now specially this:

As well as the primary ADSL interface, the Vigor 2820 features a secondary WAN port for Internet access. This is an Ethernet interface and can connect to a second ADSL modem, cable modem or any other Ethernet-based Internet feed. The secondary interface can be used either for WAN-Backup or load balancing.

Load Balancing (2 ADSL lines here) Ummmmmm interesting.
    you need a vigor 120 for the second line or if you have cable just bung your modem in

The load ballance works well but you must get a diff isp if you are going to use adsl as if you are load ballancing on the same isp through diff ips the return routes some times mess up were as diff isps use diff gateways.
    Last edited by Modcoms; 9th July 2010 at 09:26 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Using Sky and 02 for Adsl and a Netgear router with the router disabled.
    I’m alive and kicking yeh baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast