Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Scientists suggest that cancer is purely man-made

Scientists suggest that cancer is purely man-made

14 Oct 2010
    Cancer is a modern, man-made disease caused by environmental factors such as pollution and diet, a study by University of Manchester scientists has strongly suggested.

The study of remains and literature from ancient Egypt and Greece and earlier periods – carried out at Manchester’s KNH Centre for Biomedical Egyptology and published in Nature – includes the first histological diagnosis of cancer in an Egyptian mummy.

Finding only one case of the disease in the investigation of hundreds of Egyptian mummies, with few references to cancer in literary evidence, proves that cancer was extremely rare in antiquity. The disease rate has risen massively since the Industrial Revolution, in particular childhood cancer – proving that the rise is not simply due to people living longer.

Professor Rosalie David, at the Faculty of Life Sciences, said: “In industrialised societies, cancer is second only to cardiovascular disease as a cause of death. But in ancient times, it was extremely rare. There is nothing in the natural environment that can cause cancer. So it has to be a man-made disease, down to pollution and changes to our diet and lifestyle.”

She added: “The important thing about our study is that it gives a historical perspective to this disease. We can make very clear statements on the cancer rates in societies because we have a full overview. We have looked at millennia, not one hundred years, and have masses of data.”
    The data includes the first ever histological diagnosis of cancer in an Egyptian mummy by Professor Michael Zimmerman, a visiting Professor at the KNH Centre, who is based at the Villanova University in the US. He diagnosed rectal cancer in an unnamed mummy, an ‘ordinary’ person who had lived in the Dakhleh Oasis during the Ptolemaic period (200-400 CE).

Professor Zimmerman said: “In an ancient society lacking surgical intervention, evidence of cancer should remain in all cases. The virtual absence of malignancies in mummies must be interpreted as indicating their rarity in antiquity, indicating that cancer causing factors are limited to societies affected by modern industrialization”.

The team studied both mummified remains and literary evidence for ancient Egypt but only literary evidence for ancient Greece as there are no remains for this period, as well as medical studies of human and animal remains from earlier periods, going back to the age of the dinosaurs.
    Evidence of cancer in animal fossils, non-human primates and early humans is scarce – a few dozen, mostly disputed, examples in animal fossils, although a metastatic cancer of unknown primary origin has been reported in an Edmontosaurus fossil while another study lists a number of possible neoplasms in fossil remains. Various malignancies have been reported in non-human primates but do not include many of the cancers most commonly identified in modern adult humans.

It has been suggested that the short life span of individuals in antiquity precluded the development of cancer. Although this statistical construct is true, individuals in ancient Egypt and Greece did live long enough to develop such diseases as atherosclerosis, Paget's disease of bone, and osteoporosis, and, in modern populations, bone tumours primarily affect the young.

Another explanation for the lack of tumours in ancient remains is that tumours might not be well preserved. Dr. Zimmerman has performed experimental studies indicating that mummification preserves the features of malignancy and that tumours should actually be better preserved than normal tissues. In spite of this finding, hundreds of mummies from all areas of the world have been examined and there are still only two publications showing microscopic confirmation of cancer. Radiological surveys of mummies from the Cairo Museum and museums in Europe have also failed to reveal evidence of cancer.
    As the team moved through the ages, it was not until the 17th century that they found descriptions of operations for breast and other cancers and the first reports in scientific literature of distinctive tumours have only occurred in the past 200 years, such as scrotal cancer in chimney sweeps in 1775, nasal cancer in snuff users in 1761 and Hodgkin’s disease in 1832.

Professor David – who was invited to present her paper to UK Cancer Czar Professor Mike Richards and other oncologists at this year’s UK Association of Cancer Registries and National Cancer Intelligence Network conference – said: “Where there are cases of cancer in ancient Egyptian remains, we are not sure what caused them. They did heat their homes with fires, which gave off smoke, and temples burned incense, but sometimes illnesses are just thrown up.”
    She added: “The ancient Egyptian data offers both physical and literary evidence, giving a unique opportunity to look at the diseases they had and the treatments they tried. They were the fathers of pharmacology so some treatments did work
    “They were very inventive and some treatments thought of as magical were genuine therapeutic remedies. For example, celery was used to treat rheumatism back then and is being investigated today. Their surgery and the binding of fractures were excellent because they knew their anatomy: there was no taboo on working with human bodies because of mummification. They were very hands on and it gave them a different mindset to working with bodies than the Greeks, who had to come to Alexandria to study medicine.”

She concluded: “Yet again extensive ancient Egyptian data, along with other data from across the millennia, has given modern society a clear message – cancer is man-made and something that we can and should address.”

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/...splay/?id=6243

Something I have been saying for years.....................

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Scientists suggest that cancer is purely man-made

Your obsession with cancer isn't healthy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One confounding factor is that ancient Egyptians didn't have particularly long life spans. Since cancer is predominantly an age related disease, that should also be taken into account. However I would generally agree that cancer is a disease of civilisation and we are literally surrounded by carcinogens.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    One confounding factor is that ancient Egyptians didn't have particularly long life spans. Since cancer is predominantly an age related disease, that should also be taken into account. However I would generally agree that cancer is a disease of civilisation and we are literally surrounded by carcinogens.
    That is mentioned in the article, but it also mentions the high incidences of childhood cancers we now see.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    That is mentioned in the article, but it also mentions the high incidences of childhood cancers we now see.
    I admit I didn't read it in full, and I don't suppose an ordinary bod like me would have been the first to think that
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

i personally blame microwave ovens, i mean, blasting your food with all that radiation cant be any good.
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is true that cancer doesn't exist in Inuit societies?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    Is true that cancer doesn't exist in Inuit societies?
    Not sure about the inuits. But there are some parts of rural China where communities live on a largely vegetarian diet and have a lifestyle that hasn't changed for centuries and they simply don't suffer from cancer.

I personally think diet has a lot to do with it, with our massive overconsumption of animal protein including dairy. Plus, virtually everything we eat now is processed, we've stopped preparing and cooking our own food. Instead we want convenience and that means loads of shit in our food that the humkan body simply isn't designed to cope with.

We need to revert to a diet that we had when we were hunter-gatherers. Largely made up of vegetables, pulses, nuts, seeds, a little fruit and very occasionally fish/meat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure about the inuits. But there are some parts of rural China where communities live on a largely vegetarian diet and have a lifestyle that hasn't changed for centuries and they simply don't suffer from cancer.

I personally think diet has a lot to do with it, with our massive overconsumption of animal protein including dairy. Plus, virtually everything we eat now is processed, we've stopped preparing and cooking our own food. Instead we want convenience and that means loads of shit in our food that the humkan body simply isn't designed to cope with.

We need to revert to a diet that we had when we were hunter-gatherers. Largely made up of vegetables, pulses, nuts, seeds, a little fruit and very occasionally fish/meat.
    Whilst I completely agree with your sentiments, the ideal diet isn't ideal for the 'modern family'.

I think the female equal rights movement had a hand to play in todays convenience food consumption. No longer are woman at home preparing fresh meals four the family, they too are working 40 hour weeks, and obviously don't feel they have the time it the energy to prepare wholesome foods afterwards.

It's a very difficult thing to solve, as I feel that many people become addicted to the convenience. Maybe because its hassle free, or maybe because of the additives.

Good food does seem to cost more, too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't realise the suffragettes had a 'steak' in Harry Ramsdens
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    I didn't realise the suffragettes had a 'steak' in Harry Ramsdens
    no, they had the fish, well it smelled like fish, didnt look like no fish i ever seen
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ganty View Post
    Whilst I completely agree with your sentiments, the ideal diet isn't ideal for the 'modern family'.

I think the female equal rights movement had a hand to play in todays convenience food consumption. No longer are woman at home preparing fresh meals four the family, they too are working 40 hour weeks, and obviously don't feel they have the time it the energy to prepare wholesome foods afterwards.

It's a very difficult thing to solve, as I feel that many people become addicted to the convenience. Maybe because its hassle free, or maybe because of the additives.

Good food does seem to cost more, too.
    It's an ideal diet and clearly not one many of us want to achieve. All I'm interested in is highlighting the fact that cancer is a disease that is preventable. There is no need for expensive drugs or billions spent searching for a cure.

The cure is within everyone's grasp, no matter how rich or poor. Unlike diseases which are a result of malnutrition, cancer is a disease which is a result of quite the opposite. We can stop it, but both the education and the will clearly are't there.

Plus, too many people make money from Cancer. Not only the pharmaceutical companies, but also the countless charities who employ thousands in the needless and endless search for a cure.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by the.insane View Post
    i personally blame microwave ovens, i mean, blasting your food with all that radiation cant be any good.
    I'm no sparky but last time I read about microwave ovens they used radio waves not any kind of radiation.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are many probable causes of cancer of which diet is just one. The air we breathe, manmade fibres we wear, building materials we use, sun we expose our skin to, viruses and bacteria etc.. all contribute to our risk profiles for cancer. Then there are the genetic predispositions and the fact that since we we can treat many childhood and adolescent forms of cancer, those defective genes persist in the gene pool.

Its all rather complicated, but in general I agree people should eat simple, wholesome foods, ration their meat consumption and take care of their gut health i.e. plenty of fibre. I personally love to eat dried apples washed down with gallons of water because it flushes me out something rotten.. its like a fruit based plunger
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Its all rather complicated
    I think the industry you work in would have us believe so. I'm not so sure though. I think diet is without doubt the number one factor in cancer prevention.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the industry you work in would have us believe so. I'm not so sure though. I think diet is without doubt the number one factor in cancer prevention.
    Whatever you're eating aint doing your demeanor any good today!
    Last edited by Nibb; 15th October 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Whatever you're eating aint doing your demeanor any good today!
    Fuck all to do with what I'm eating. I've just decided to go on 'cunt' alert.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm also of the belief cancer is somehow related to our style of living and diet. I watched a documentary some time ago about the issue and it was quite interesting about the 'industry' for cancer treatments etc.

I do wonder though, IF cancer was isolated to particular man-made substances, with the Drugs industry being such a big money maker, would Governments ban those substances that are deemed to be the cause?

It's also obvious that obesity is generally down to diet/lifestyle etc. yet some people seem to feel their 'condition' is one of family heredity; mum's large, dad's large, sisters etc. well, I personally think it's quite likely the issue of heredity is possibly down to the younger generation following their older generations in their diet... and that could also be a factor in cancer. Even then, you may well have someone who simply likes eating/drinking a particular item and gets cancer when no-one else within the family line has done so I think it's a little complex perhaps.

I know some people have medical conditions which cause weight issues, but is it practical to think that that particular medical condition is becoming more widespread and the majority of people in today's society who are obese have it?
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

America is fat, Africa isn't. Obesity is more nurture than nature, despite what fattys like to believe.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    I'm no sparky but last time I read about microwave ovens they used radio waves not any kind of radiation.
    you're supposed to agree with me, it's in the script i know it is coz i was talking bout it with the lads in the pub, so it is microwaves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast