Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I mad?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cars Am I mad?

To be considering a brand new Alfa Romeo on leasing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YubXQh-CYwY

I need a 4-door and I'm pretty underwhelmed with the Golf, A3, BMW 1-series and the now ancient Seat Leon so I thought 'fuck it', lets throw my net a little wider. I took the brand new Alfa Romeo Giulietta for a test drive, firstly the the 1.4 multi-air Turbo 170BHP, followed by the Cloverleaf (235BHP). I have to say I was mightily impressed, this is easily the best Alfa Romeo I've ever driven and I've driven and owned quite a few. The poise, handling, fit n finish and not unpleasant looks has almost done it for me. And with regards to reliability, I think Fiat/Alfa are on par with their French rivals and approaching VAG. In my case I'll have a 3 year lease option with full warranty... so not massively concerned. The only ball breaker is the depreciation which they calculate to be 58% after 3 years, compared to about 45 - 50% for an equivelent Golf GTI.

Anyway I think out of the two models I would probably go for the Cloverleaf because its lowered, has sharper styling and a meatier engine.. plus those legendary badges

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Am I mad?

What courtesy car do you get whilst it's in the garage for minor/major repairs?

TBH I've never had an Alpha, it was a great badge as a kid but all I ever heard was horror stories, you say you've owned them in the past, so what was your experience of them? If they are more reliable these days then go for it, maybe.

Tig3 (Pug 307 driver)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They are certainly more reliable these days, difficult badge to turn down!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tigger3 View Post
    TBH I've never had an Alpha, it was a great badge as a kid but all I ever heard was horror stories, you say you've owned them in the past, so what was your experience of them? If they are more reliable these days then go for it, maybe.
    The best and worst Alfa I ever owned was a Proteo red Twinspark GTV, that car was like a mini Ferrari back in the day and I always had to turn back for another look. However it gave me no end of problems.. Variator, immobiliser, ac, cold morning starting etc.. Back then I said I'd never buy another Alfa, I would only consider leasing one so I benefit from the style without any headaches.

I might go back to the dealer for another test drive since I'm really in two minds.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I test drove one of these for Mrs Fred's new car. I really liked it. She did too but she's a Golf nut and has her eye on the top end Golf R. I've not driven the R but I'd have the Alfa any day. Fond memories of my old 156. No better steering.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I test drove one of these for Mrs Fred's new car. I really liked it. She did too but she's a Golf nut and has her eye on the top end Golf R. I've not driven the R but I'd have the Alfa any day. Fond memories of my old 156. No better steering.
    I'm also a Golf nut but after years of steady eddie German cars I think I'm ready to inject a bit of passion into my hitherto stale car relationships. If all goes well, I intend to get a white Quadrifoglio Verde (cloverleaf to us Anglocunts) with the contrasting tinted sunroof and full red nappa leather interior.... steamy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiLxfSH8Oe8
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a 156 a few years ago and agree totally with Freddy " Fond memories of my old 156. No better steering." I loved the 156 and it was a pleasure to drive and handled better than any other car i have driven, but could not live with rattle from dashboard that they could never fix. I never had any engine problems just all the other stuff including a water leak in the boot. I also was going to get a huge bill £600 to £800 for the rear brakes that were almost shagged completely in under 30000 miles so the poor old girl went. It was a sad day !!. i have also been considering a Giuiletta and will be going for a test drive in the next few weeks.
    Cheers
    Curleous

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've owned a few Alfa's in my time, first was an Alfasud, then a 3.0 litre GTV, last was a Spider, with full red leather Momo interior, was gorgeous, and hardly had any problems, only got rid because i needed a 4 seater.

Looking back i've had more problems with supposedly reliable VW's and Audi's.
    Last edited by ilscuro; 16th October 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It reads like you have already made up your mind, you know you want one and just need enough people to say 'what a fantastic idea'. So go for it.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the depreciation is steeper than that in my novice, unexpert opinion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    It reads like you have already made up your mind, you know you want one and just need enough people to say 'what a fantastic idea'. So go for it.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the depreciation is steeper than that in my novice, unexpert opinion.
    Nah, I fall easily in and out of love. I might drive an M sport 1 series tomorrow and then I'll be on here waxing lyrical about that. I just want to get some sort of perspective on whether the leasing option makes sense, because I certainly wouldn't pay cash for one.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

The deed is done, I've just placed an order for a Julie with Chrimbo delivery

Same colour as the one above with sunroof, cloverleaf package, satnav, Bose sound system and red leather seats.... nice
    Last edited by GTI; 24th October 2010 at 09:02 PM.
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Verrry nice Xmas prezzy.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    The deed is done, I've just placed an order for a Julie with Chrimbo delivery

Same colour as the one above with sunroof, cloverleaf package, satnav, Bose sound system and red leather seats.... nice
    Very niiiiiiiice!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Very niiiiiiiice!
    Merci mon ami, its as close as you can get to an affair without losing the house and kids
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have to admit this alfa romeo looks the shizz. Lets hope it doesnt fall to pieces like most other alfas.. notorious for electrical problems etc.

Good choice sir!!
    Last edited by ant3b; 25th October 2010 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ant3b View Post
    I have to admit this alfa romeo looks the shizz. Lets hope it doesnt fall to pieces lime mos tother alfas.. notorious for electrical problems etc.

Good choice sir!!
    As I mentioned, reliability isn't too much of a concern since it has a comprehensive 3 year warranty with courtesy car, roadside assist etc.. and since its a private lease I can always just walk away after 3 years and consider it a lesson learnt. IMHO this is the most sensible way to own an Alfa without getting your fingers seriously burnt. If the car proves to be reliable at the end of its third anniversary, it would make sense to buy out the lease and keep it.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    As I mentioned, reliability isn't too much of a concern since it has a comprehensive 3 year warranty with courtesy car, roadside assist etc.. and since its a private lease I can always just walk away after 3 years and consider it a lesson learnt. IMHO this is the most sensible way to own an Alfa without getting your fingers seriously burnt. If the car proves to be reliable at the end of its third anniversary, it would make sense to buy out the lease and keep it.
    As much as I'm not a believer in leasing/hp, that actually seems to makes sense to me as some people seem to get alfas that are as solid as any other car, while quite a few seem to get ones that always give headache.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    As much as I'm not a believer in leasing/hp, that actually seems to makes sense to me as some people seem to get alfas that are as solid as any other car, while quite a few seem to get ones that always give headache.
    I think its a general rule of thumb that most issues will present themselves in the first year or two. If everything beds in nicely and the car functions without fault, the remaining years should be pretty uneventful.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks the nuts but fook me, if you spec them up they can be nearly £34k

Thanks
    Karma Level

She's just arrived.. will finish work early on Friday and pick her up

Pics to follow
    -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks