Close

Thread: nearly scammed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default nearly scammed

was looking through auto trader for a car. spent some timne doing this and came across a prius going very cheap. £3000 for a 2008 model with 30,000 on the clock. pictures look mint condition. emailed the seller and i'll show the correspondance at the bottom. part way through i even paid to have the vehicle checked through a site and it all came back ok. the yahoo financing sounded so convincing. After searching the internet i found this to be a common scam. the yahoo address is a fake and the inbetween agent who holds your money is also fake. what a bastard. dont know how i really thought i was getting a 9 grand can for 3 grand

you have to read from the bottom up as thats the order of the email. have rubbed my email out but his is there if anyone wants to send and nasties to him. my emails are in bold

Hi,
    My Phone # is 0034 692674958
    Unfortunately I am not available on the phone earlier than Wednesday, until then we will communicate via email.

To: burt29@msn.com
    Subject: RE: prius for sale
    Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 12:01:09 +0000

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage p { padding: 0px; }.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma; }
    could you provide a number so i could contact you over the phone at some point today or whenever is convenient for you

To: b****l.com
    Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:56:26 +0000

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage p { padding: 0px; }.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma; } Hello,

I attached the pics in case you want to see the vehicle again.
    In order for us to go to the next level i will need you to provide the following info (your full name, your exact address) so I can initiate the deal through Yahoo Finance right away.

After I get in touch with them they will contact you to explain the entire payment procedure.

I will be waiting for your email with the info in order to get this ball rolling
    Best regards,

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:38:50 +0000

could you please send some pictures or the link for the auto trader site as i cant find the car anymore. Im very interested in buying your car
    .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage p { padding: 0px; }.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma; }

To: bxxxxl.com
    Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:25:18 +0000

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage p { padding: 0px; }.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma; } Hello,

I want to inform you the the car is in Cadiz and it will be shipped from here to UK.The shipper I will use will deliver the vehicle to your door, you don't have to pick it from the port. Shipping will take 10 days maximum. The car will be shipped in a container; it will be loaded direct into a 20 ft or 40 ft steel shipping container at the port and it will be secured to the flooring rings of the container by ratchet straps and the wheels will be locked into position by wooden chocks, strapping to stop any movement. All vehicles are securely blocked, braced and tied down ensuring absolute security during transportation.
    Due to the fact that i am located outside UK and we can not deal in person,i`ve contacted Yahoo Finance regarding this issue and they told me that they could offer to me a program that is created especially for international transactions that protects both of us.
    Regarding the transaction, you will send the funds to Yahoo Finance and they will keep the money until you receive the vehicle and test it.In this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.Yahoo Finance will hold and insure your money until receipt of the car in good condition. That is how their service is working. As far as the seller concerns, i will be glad to know that Yahoo Finance is in possession of the funds during the delivery period.
    You will be given a 15 days inspection period from the day you receive the car at home( i will ship it to your address insured for full value to you ).
    If you decide to keep the car, then you will have to authorize Yahoo Finance to release the funds to me, and the transaction is complete.If the vehicle is not as described ( perfect interior,exterior,mechanical condition ), you will be able to send the vehicle back through the same shipping company ( return postage at my expense ), and ask Yahoo Finance to return the money to you.

If you want to read more about Yahoo Finance service please visit :

http://www.finance.uk.yahoo.com.uk-i...More.index.htm

If you want to get more info about their terms and condition please contact Yahoo Finance at: support@yahoo.com-service.co.uk

If you want to check the car here are the reg details:

Registration number is : WR08 YNZ
    VIN # is : JTDKB20U503402242
    MOT until May 2011.
    Full service history.

If you wish to purchase it and agree to these terms i will need you to provide your full name and address. I will then notify Yahoo Finance and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

I will be waiting for your reply as soon as possible

Thank you in advance!

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:17:06 +0000

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage p { padding: 0px; }.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma; } what well known company would the deal be managed by. where in the uk was the car bought from. where is the car at the moment. is there ant service history with the car. am i right in assuming it will need an mot
    To: bxxxxl.com
    Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:08:53 +0000

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage p { padding: 0px; }.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma; } Hello there,
    I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my 2008 Toyota Prius 1.5 VVTi T3 Hybrid! Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Cadiz, Spain (where my family is from) and the car is being shipped from here. I want to sell it in UK due to the fact that it's an UK version (right handed),it meets all UK standards.I bought this car from UK and It still has UK registration, so you won't have to pay any import and insurance fees.The car meets all United Kingdom guidelines so there will be no problem regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car.The car is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised .The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in you name.If the car is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered at your address in maximum 10 days. Final price is GBP 3,000 (the price includes shipping and insurance fees).The price is low because the car is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in the Spain is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Spain.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the deal will be manage by a well known company,in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
    Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my car.
    Thank you!

Subject: prius for sale
    Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:52:53 +0000

Is the prius still for sale? If so, what location are you at. Is there any info witht the vehicle. Service details etc

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: nearly scammed

Come on the first email back from him just says scam merchant!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry but these scams work because of the greed and stupidity of the person falling for it. TANSTAFL.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

i was letting myself get suckered in with the belief of the yahoo deal. love a bargain when i see one. cant believe it took me so long to realise though

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball JaX View Post
    i was letting myself get suckered in with the belief of the yahoo deal. love a bargain when i see one. cant believe it took me so long to realise though
    As long as you learned from the experience it's a good thing.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

if it seems too good to be true it usually is, saying that you were very very lucky... you nearly had to drive a Prius

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    if it seems too good to be true it usually is, saying that you were very very lucky... you nearly had to drive a Prius

true

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Nowt wrong with a Prius IMO - but his first mail to you has scam written all over it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If its too good to be true it usually is.

Saying that, I recently bought a 3 year old Focus with a shockingly low 3000 miles on the clock. I was very wary but I was buying from a very reputable big dealer (fow.co.uk) and it turned out to be an absolute gem.

Caution is the key, well done for not havin your pants pulled down

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hello there,
    I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my 2008 Toyota Prius 1.5 VVTi T3 Hybrid! Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Cadiz...

..I would have stopped reading right there.

..even before they mention UK (which in itself is suspicious.. why bother.. if your in the UK to begin with) ..the way they put the car's full title and pedegre - any normal person would just say "yes, prius is for sale.." (or there abouts).. even from the first words it just stinks of scam..
    Last edited by Possy_99; 6th November 2010 at 01:20 AM.
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard