Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Whine Govt cop out wankers

Some time ago I took part in an online petition to attempt to stop the fuel being put back upto 17.5% from 15%.

Some 170 K people signed it.
    I've just an email from some pratt at the govt with the typical cop out reply they are using in most things now, ie blame the previous govt.

Petition to:

Fuel duty reduction, now VAT has increased to 17.5%, please deduct the duty which was levied when vat was reduced to 15%.

This petition is now closed, as its deadline has passed.
    We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Fuel duty reduction, now VAT has increased to 17.5%, please deduct the duty which was levied when vat was reduced to 15%.

More details
    Submitted by David Powell – Deadline to sign up by: 12 March 2010 – Signatures: 170,377

More details from petition creator

When vat was reduced to 15% in January '09 your chancellor levied an extra 2p per litre of fuel, to compensate for the loss of revenue from the vat reduction, now that vat has now gone back to 17.5% we think it only fair that you reduce the the duty again by the same amount, ie 2p per litre.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/DutyReduction/

Government response

Your petition relates to the policy of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer. In his 2008 Pre-Budget Report the former Chancellor said “I will offset the VAT reduction, by increasing all these duties by an amount which should keep the overall cost to consumers the same this year.”
    The coalition Government’s first changes to taxation were announced in the June Budget. The Budget sets out the action the Government is taking to rebalance the economy and provide the conditions for sustainable growth and deficit reduction. This involves difficult choices.
    The existing rates of fuel duty and the rates applicable through to January 2011 were set and legislated for by the previous Government. Under plans the coalition Government has inherited fuel duty is scheduled to rise by one pence per litre above indexation each year thereafter until April 2014.
    It is necessary to implement these increases as dealing with the budget deficit is the single greatest economic challenge this Government faces. Unavoidably, tough decisions are required, but underpinning the Government’s approach is a commitment to fairness. The Government has been clear that the burden of deficit reduction will have to be shared, but the most vulnerable in our society will be protected.

http://www.hmg.gov.uk/epetition-resp...=DutyReduction

Bunch of cunts.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Govt cop out wankers

Same crap reply as the new Digital Economy Act. They will not review this. Matter closed.

Idiots.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    I've just an email from some pratt at the govt with the typical cop out reply they are using in most things now, ie blame the previous govt.
    I am happy to be corrected by those with a deeper understanding of politics and economics, but to me it seemed pretty obvious labour were spunking the last pennies to ensure the next govt would have to make brutal cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I am happy to be corrected by those with a deeper understanding of politics and economics, but to me it seemed pretty obvious labour were spunking the last pennies to ensure the next govt would have to make brutal cuts.
    I am shocked that anyone can be a Labour supporter after the fucking mess they have left the country in!