Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

crazy This week's WTF topic inside

Indian village bans mobile phones for unmarried women

Wants to stop beheadings

By Edward Berridge

AN INDIAN VILLAGE has decided to clamp down on the number of women being beheaded in so called honour killings.
    According to the Associated Press its approach to this involves not letting unmarried women use mobile phones and only letting unmarried blokes use one if they have a parent with them.
    The Panchayat, which is like a Parish Council, for a village with the unpromising name of Lank thinks that honour killings are getting out of hand since this newfangled mobile phone arrived in the village.
    In the conservative Hindu village in northern India it is forbidden to get married outside your clan or run off with someone whom your family does not approve.
    Women who do usually end up being killed. Thirty-four couples eloped in Muzaffarnagar district where Lank is located and eight women were killed by their families. Three of the women were beheaded.
    Rather than think that this custom of killing your offspring for running off and getting married is bad, the village Panchayat has decided that it is better to stop it from happening at all by effectively banning mobile phones.
    The theory is that kids of today are using them to arrange their own marriages and elope with people they fancy, which apparently just won't do.
    The mobile phone ban for unmarried women is part of a wider, regional effort to curb intra-clan marriage among the 3 million population of western Uttar Pradesh.
    The Lank council ruling, which applies to around 50,000 people, is also being considered by councils in nearby villages. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...nmarried-women
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: This week's WTF topic inside

yep, the indians have the right idea this time , the only thing a mobile phone ban will do is make sure the potential "victim" can ring anyone for help.
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: This week's WTF topic inside

Mobile Phones blamed for beheading! Whatever next. Imagine that ruling in the UK.

There would be no unmarried women left within a week.