Close

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 21 day trip to Peru - advice?

Hi folks, planning on a trip to Peru around August this year. Its the 21 day trip as stated below, and wanted to know if anyone from here could offer any advice, from what type of backpacks/hiking gear you took/waterproofing equipment/first aid etc, to what flights you got and where from? Any information would be great.

Also details of your personal experiences would be grateful

Heres the schedule:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 1 Lima

Explore the gardens and beaches of Miraflores.

Day 2 Pisco

Wander the streets of Lima before heading to Pisco, the perfect place to unwind with a Pisco sour.

Days 3-4 Nazca

Take an optional trip to the Paracas National Reserve, a haven for pelicans, red-footed boobies, flamingos and sea lions. See the dramatic sand dunes of Huacachina before heading to one of the world's most mysterious archaeological sites, the Nazca Lines. Discover the desert cemetery of Chauchilla; the arid conditions of the desert have naturally mummified the remains of the people buried here.

Day 5 Arequipa

Built at the foot of El Misti Volcano, Arequipa's colonial charm is enchanting. Marvel at the gleaming buildings made from pale volcanic rock.

Days 6-7 Chivay/ Colca Canyon

Spot llamas, alpacas and their cousins - vicunas - on the way to Chivay. Be impressed by the depth of the canyon while keeping an eye out for the resident Andean condors, one of the world's largest flying birds. In the evening, relax in thermal baths, dine on a llama steak or listen to live Andean music at a pena. Experience traditional local life staying with a family on a homestay in Colca Canyon.

Days 8-10 Puno/ Lake Titicaca

Cross the Andes to explore the vast expanse of Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world. Visit the floating islands and learn about island culture during a homestay with a local family.

Days 11-12 Cuzco

Discover Inca ruins and baroque churches in the continent's oldest city. Then perhaps take a local bus to the Sacred Valley or have lunch at Aldea Yanapay Cafe - all profits go to supporting Cuzco's underprivileged kids.

Days 13-16 Inca Trail/ Machu Picchu

Embark on the trek of a lifetime through dense forest and high plateaus, up the steps of the Sun Gate to the Machu Picchu ruins. Spend a day exploring and learning about the fascinating ancient ruins.

Day 17 Cuzco

Shop or rest those weary legs at a cafe around the Plaza de Armas.

Days 18-19 Amazon Jungle

Fly to Puerto Maldonado. Travel by canoe into the lush Amazon Jungle to stay in an eco-friendly lodge. Explore the jungle with local guides to spot unique flora and fauna and learn about the practical and medicinal uses of native plants.

Days 20-21 Lima

Soak up Lima's colourful history before bidding adios to wonderful Peru.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks All!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 21 day trip to Peru - advice?

I went for 3 weeks back in 07, had a great time - one of the best holidays Ive ever experienced. Are you going with an organised group (if so which company)?

I can probably give you a snippet from each place......

Lima is a shithole, apart from the seafront where there are some designer outlets. Interestingly there are armed police that happily let in foreigners (with money) but bar locals.

The centre of Lima is ok, but nowt to write about.

When we went to Lima a mate and I decided to take a bus to the centre of town. We knew fuck all but decided to start by taking a bus that was going in the general direction and by asking 'centro?'.

A bus pulled up on a 3 lane road and doors promptly opened. We sat there in sweltering conditions, with all the natives looking at us and probably wondering why these stupid white faces are braving it on the 'common' bus. It was a great experience, with various performers playing instruments at the front of the bus for tips (and the locals tipping them).

The shock came later. Half a dozen of the fellow passengers kept talking to us and we eventually discovered we had overshot the stop for the centre of Lima. We decided to get off. I jumped off (again the bus didnt pull up but just stopped in a 3 lane road). My mate was pulled back on the bus and it drove off. I simply thought to myself 'fuck'. This thought was short lived however as when i started to get my bearings I realised that the bus was way out of the center and we had gotten off in a right rough area.

My mate got off the bus down the road and we met up. The feeling of panic was increasing. The number of eyes staring at us was alarming. After all, what is strange about a pair of idiot tourist trekkers in the middle of a ghetto. A ghetto it was. There were people sitting on the streets begging, a bloke lying in the street having his ribs kicked in, people crowded round an oil barrel burning shit.

Everyone was looking at us and it felt as though they were 'sighting their prey'. I was bricking it. 'Look confident and keep walking' I said to my mate. I dont know if we looked confident or if the turds poking out of our arses gave the game away. At least i didnt have a big camera round my neck (mate = proper target).

If there was ever an 'anxiety-o-meter', the needle on mine was firmly in the red.

What was clear was this... in Lima, where tourists travel, there is a heavy presence of armed police and private armed security for shops. You are relatively safe as long as you dont go flashing your wealth or jewellery about. In the suburbs where 'no tourists dare to trek', it is another story.

We finally escaped the mele' and managed to find a coffee shop near what we thought was a university. We got there and, through sheer nerves, both burst out laughing. Fuck that for a laugh.

So Lima. Despite being the capital its not really much else. It forever grey and pretty similar to many developed cities. Don't build up your hopes too much, but dont worry the other sites you have to see are fantastic.....

Remember a couple of things from the start... be conservative with your money - dont be flash or you may get robbed. Dont use cabs unless they are clearly numbered / identifiable as cabs and verified by your guide if you have one). Don't pay the asking price for anything (especially cabs, any in Lima journey should cost you no more than 3-5 neuvo soles).

more to follow.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zippeyrude View Post
    I went for 3 weeks back in 07, had a great time - one of the best holidays Ive ever experienced. Are you going with an organised group (if so which company)?

ETC...
    Great post, made for a good read
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ill be going with a company called Trail finders.. they look good. What were your experiences of the other sites you seen?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can mirror what Zippyrude says about Lima, its just a stop off really to get your bearings from the airport before heading off on tour, but its busy, polluted and pretty awful. We just stayed close to the hotel and chilled out on the local beer.
    We did a similar tour but in reverse. The Amazon is a pretty amazing place and apart from Machu Picchu was the highlight. Very humid and make sure you take plenty of insect repellent as there are a lots of biting flies and ticks as well as the potential for malaria, so you’ll obviously need malaria pills too.
    I took Malarone which is pretty full on and probably has the least shitty side effects, expensive though. Messed my guts up a little but nothing that stopped the enjoyment.
    Always drink bottled water and avoid anything that’s come into contact with water eg salads, ice in drinks etc. I only caught a dose of the trots once as I was fairly careful but some idiots on our tour were eating everything in site and suffering daily with really bad guts.
    Was a great experience seeing the locals and quite humbling seeing the slums, but they’re just crazy and worth nosing at as you drive by.

Machu Picchu really is one of the ‘things to do before you die’. As the bus climbs the side of the mountain up to it, the Ande’s start to open up and the view is genuinely breathtaking. I simply can’t describe how cool it is to see it.
    Get there early if you can, the mornings are quieter as the main tourists turn up around 10ish onwards. If you want to climb up Wayna Picchu (the large peak that overlooks the main site) defo get there early as they only allow the first 200 or so up there.
    If you miss the entrance, walk up the other direction to the sun gate. Its an easier walk and maybe not quite as impressive but the views of it are still amazing. Heres a picture of the view from the sun gate.

One other thing I'd say is on the approach to lake titicaca you hit about 14000 feet and some people suffer with altitude sickness. Its not really high enough to be dangerous but just be aware of it. Sip water often to keep hydrated as the air gets thin and dry, and take things slowly as you get out of breath easily.
    At first you think they’re taking the piss when they say to slow down, but it catches you out suddenly.
    The hotels have little oxygen masks too if you need a little toot on them now and again.

Overall, its an amazing place. You’ll have a lot of fun there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry, haven't been, but it was one of the destinations on 'Idiot Abroad with Karl Pilkington'. Worth a watch
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin