Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

News New Mac AppStore hacked

this has come to light
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20

A weakness in copy protection--the antipiracy mechanism at the heart of many a digital distribution system--has reared its head with Apple's brand-new Mac App Store.
    The store, launched yesterday, includes digital rights management (DRM) technology designed to ensure that only a program's purchaser is authorized to run the program. But a hack distributed online apparently can be used to get around the system in some situations.
    Although several have reported successful use of the hack to circumvent copy protection, it appears to stem from problems in how software developers get their applications to verify permission to run, not from an irreparable problem with the Mac App Store's DRM.
    Nevertheless, the issue spotlights the painful realities of DRM. When it's used, hackers often find a way around it, as happened for example with Blu-ray and DVD encryption. But commercial content creators naturally are averse to seeing their digital products spreading willy-nilly for free, and Apple's removal of DRM from music in iTunes in 2009 and Amazon's option to lend Kindle books are the exception rather than the rule. Just this week, a group of entertainment industry powers unveiled a new DRM and copy-protection technology called UltraViolet.
    Apple didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
    With the Mac App Store hack, a person copies three files--digital receipts--from a freely downloaded application such as Twitter to another app such as Angry Birds that otherwise would have to be purchased before it runs. That second app essentially uses the free app's authorization. Of course, a bootleg copy of the second app must first be obtained, but that's rarely proved an obstacle in for those evading copy protection technology.
    Others reported that another game, The Incident, also could be copied in the same way.
    News of the hack spread quickly yesterday--but shortly afterward came more news that apparently at least part of the problem lies with the software developer and Apple's suggested verification procedures rather than with a terminal problem with the technology.
    "For apps that follow Apple's advice on validating App Store receipts, this simple technique will not work. But, alas, it appears that many apps don't perform any validation whatsoever, or do so incorrectly, like Angry Birds," Apple watcher John Gruber said.
    But another observer, Sean Christmann, also laid some blame on Apple. Although Angry Birds developers followed only two of the five steps Apple recommends for verifying the software is authorized to run, Apple's instructions are flawed, Christmann said in a blog post.
    Specifically, he said Apple recommends a verification process that checks a text file separate from the application's binary file--in other words, an ancillary file, not the file the computer actually runs. He recommended a validation procedure that uses the application itself.
    "At the end of the day, if your app is popular enough it's going to end up on a pirated site, but for the time being, by following the instructions above, you can avoid having your app easily cracked with TextEdit," Christmann said.
    Asked if it plans a new version of Angry Birds, Rovio Mobile said, "We'll look into it."
    Basically, if you get a free app it is possible to tag that onto a "dodgy" version of a paid app to make it run.

Has anyone seen any of these modded apps yet...?

Crash
    Last edited by 4me2; 7th January 2011 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New Mac AppStore hacked

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestmac View Post

Has anyone seen any of these modded apps yet...?

Crash
    Saw this on my travels:

http://pastebin.com/1eWf9LCg

Install the latest Snow Leopard update(10.6.6). Sign into the new App Store (in your dock). Download Twitter, it's free. Then go to Applications folder, locate Twitter, right click, Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents folder and copy _CodeSignature, _MASReceipt and CodeResources.

Download Angry Birds ( http://bit.ly/gy9wzk ).. run the dmg file.. drag Angry Birds into the Applications folder. right click, Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents folder and delete _CodeSignature, _MASReceipt and CodeResources. Now paste in the files you copied from the Twitter.app .

Done. Enjoy Angry Birds and any other .app file from the new Mac App Store that you can find online

BAMMM
    Last edited by 4me2; 7th January 2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: another lazy fucker who just posts links

Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL. What muppets Apple are.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

awesome

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for that, good to know!
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL
    Angry birds.....

Jailbroken iMac LOL

Thanks
    Karma Level

First Sony, now Apple....I'm sure heads are rolling!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fantastic just need to find the Apps now.....I bought Angry Birds last night DOOH

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

'A friend' just tested this and it works fine!

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was only a matter of time. They will still coin it in so I don't suppose they're that worried.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB