Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Is being on the electoral role a biggie for credit checks?

Just been looking on my equifax credit alert site and found out today I haven't been put on the electoral role from last autumn. I've previously filled in on-line when every form's been mailed to me before. I'm on it at this address over the 2006-2009 period.

I've just did a credit report and it say's mine is 501, and all accounts are rated excellent, always up to date, always pay above minimum payment on my credit card etc. All these accounts are at my address and have been for some years (oldest active account is over 6 years old). No searches in over 6 months.

So it looks like the bloody electoral role is the only negative. I was thinking of going in town to maybe take out another contract mobile phone deal (currently have a contract with Virgin media but looking for a better phone and deal).

Would the phone companies view my non listing on electoral role as a no no for credit you think?

I've downloaded the electoral role .pdf and will print out and hand in to the council next week but it looks like this info won't be updated until april.

I suppose the checks criteria can vary depending on type and amount of credit, but has anyone had a similar experience when looking at mobile phone company checks in particular?

Not keen on trying at too many stores really as these checks can negate my rating.
    Tia.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is being on the electoral role a biggie for credit checks?

It defintely won't hurt to get yourself on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i havnt been on the electorial role for years as dont pay council tx etc.
    and nowaday i think all mobile phone companies care about is that you pay every month.

thinking about it tho i may have problems if i ever want to get stuff on credit etc
    i just dont like the fact i can be traced easily
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the input chaps. After having a poke about a few shops, bumped into my bro in law, haven't seen him in ages and he was looking to sell his HTC desire as he's got an iphone now... so I managed to buy it off him for £100 (More money than sense methinks lol)

Anyway, Just looking around for a reputable unlocker on the web as it's locked to Orange at the moment, seems a few sites but prices vary wildly!
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can confirm that it does affect you as after my five month nightmare of trying to get both experian and equifax to add my electoral role details I've now been able to get a new credit card. Like you burner, nothing else missing/wrong/missed payments on my report and a decent salary, turned down without it there, accepted with the ER details on there....

Was a nightmare to get done and in the end had to threaten to involve the information commissionaire. Best to start this asap rather than when you want to open a new account somewhere.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It does indeed affect your chances of getting credit, perhaps not from a mobile phone company as they'll do anything to hit sales targets but for the likes of a (respectable) Bank Loan or Mortgage you'll need it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Read this

There are simple ways to BOOST your score

While expensive 'credit repair' products are often bunkum, there are plenty of simple ways to make yourself more attractive to lenders: get on the electoral roll; time applications cleverly; never miss payments, get a landline; update or cancel old accounts and reduce your debts.

For loads more, and to try the Quick Credit Checker tool, read more on improving your credit score.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    I can confirm that it does affect you as after my five month nightmare of trying to get both experian and equifax to add my electoral role details I've now been able to get a new credit card. Like you burner, nothing else missing/wrong/missed payments on my report and a decent salary, turned down without it there, accepted with the ER details on there....

Was a nightmare to get done and in the end had to threaten to involve the information commissionaire. Best to start this asap rather than when you want to open a new account somewhere.
    Just going through that issue with equifax mate.. I've been registered on the ER for some years but equifax has me last registered here up to 2009. Been on the phone to the councils ER dept. and they've confirmed I'm registered, phoned equifax, got some foreigner on the line and I could hardly hear her, let alone understand her.

She told me to get a registration certificate off the council so I phoned them back, they haven't done reg cert's for years but did give me my unique ER reference number so I emailed that to equifax in the week.

I see they've put this on my file:
    There have been changes to the Electoral Roll(ER) information in your credit file.

But on the main screen summary, the ER icon is still red and still says no ER information for current address. I'm just hoping it's a time issue and they haven't managed to update the thing yet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a very quick phone call to the council and definiately helps your credit score