Close

Thread: NEBOSH

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default NEBOSH

I've got the opportunity to do a NEBOSH course. Anyone here done it and any idea what sort of doors it opens?

Cheers

Tel

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: NEBOSH

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I've got the opportunity to do a NEBOSH course. Anyone here done it and any idea what sort of doors it opens?

Cheers

Tel
    If you want to go into Health and Safety then it's a must.

Without it noone will entertain you.

I have only done IOSH Managing Safely but would jump at the chance to do NEBOSH.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I did mine recently and am waiting on the results due in February.

It had a helping hand in me getting the job that I start tomorrow, however my degree also was added to the equation. It also was an indicator to my new employer that I wasn't sitting at home playing games all day and was proactive in adding to me skills to get a job.

It lasted 10 weeks 1 full day per week. You can also do a 2 week intense course or evening classes for a year also.

What NEBOSH course is it?

I did the General Certficate which covers all workplaces in comparison to the Construction version which is more focused on construction but it then restricts you from branching into other industries.

It was interesting, well as interesting as H+S can be.

What is your current job?

The main types of people on it were managers and supervisors but also people involved in tendering and who had to look after their own small businesses H+S and administration of the business.
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

The course is a lot to take in and learn in 10 weeks and the case law and management regs side of things is migraine-inducing. The inspection is easier, although remembering all of the regulations breached and the possible enforcement isn't.

I found the case law side of things very interesting, and have recently quoted Harrison v Michelin Tyres and HM Crown vs Swan Hunter Shipyard (HMS Glasgow) in recent discussions at work.

Mind you, I am the site HSE Manager and I maybe need to get out more....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by scullion View Post
    I did mine recently and am waiting on the results due in February.

It had a helping hand in me getting the job that I start tomorrow, however my degree also was added to the equation. It also was an indicator to my new employer that I wasn't sitting at home playing games all day and was proactive in adding to me skills to get a job.

It lasted 10 weeks 1 full day per week. You can also do a 2 week intense course or evening classes for a year also.

I did the General Certficate which covers all workplaces in comparison to the Construction version which is more focused on construction but it then restricts you from branching into other industries.

It was interesting, well as interesting as H+S can be.

The main types of people on it were managers and supervisors but also people involved in tendering and who had to look after their own small businesses H+S and administration of the business.
    How much did it cost ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it cost £600 but (in N Ireland anyway) a CITB (construction industry training board) subscription that companies pay each year which allows them to put operatives etc through courses such as this and CSR card courses so then they only have to pay 25% of the actual training costs.

A friend was able to get me in under the company he works for so I only have to pay £150 for the course. But that is only if I pass, if I fail I will have to pay the full whack! This is because the company will have a fail against someone working under their company name.

Some of the things were hard to remember but if you went in for your full day and then then a few evenings later you spent an hour looking through what you did it is easily learnt.

However when you are doing a 9-5 4 days a week and a course the 5th day then I appreciate how hard it is to get time to learn.
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WotTheFook View Post

I found the case law side of things very interesting, and have recently quoted Harrison v Michelin Tyres and HM Crown vs Swan Hunter Shipyard (HMS Glasgow) in recent discussions at work.
    Never even came across those ones. Some of the ones I was taught were Rose V Plenty, National Coal board Vs ______ and Summers Vs Frost.

What line of work are you in?

Seems an interesting job. Is it?
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

I done mine last year.

If I was you I would do the course over (6 month's i think it was) one a week splitting the sections rather than a full 2 weeks intense course, you need time for it do digest plus with the one a week course you'll have more time to revise from home what you've just taken in.

I agree the second section can be hard and the first section is what your doing in a daily day to day role (Depending on your job).

If you complete your NEBOSH general certificate and have a chance to afterwards, go straight onto the Diploma because you will be giving yourself a head start as the general cert is fresh in your head.

H&S is hard to get into and you really need to make a go at it to succeed. I love it and over the past 8 years it has been a real eye opener. It's pretty straight forward once you know everything.

Good luck in taking the exam it's a killer and your wrist will be sore afterwards from all the writing.

Good luck to the person awaiting the results. I had to wait about 2-3 months for mine, but was chuffed to bits when it came.

Any questions please fire away and I'll be glad to help. If I've got some old exam papers I'll copy you them and post them off if I can find them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Forgot to say, I don't think you'll walk straight into a H&S job with your NEBISH gen cert. You'll need a good few years of H&S punch behind you. Maybe start as a Safety rep and work your way up that way with your NEBOSH behind you and then slowly build it up.

After the general certificate look into doing the Fire Cert and the Enviro Cert.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Never even came across those ones. Some of the ones I was taught were Rose V Plenty, National Coal board Vs ______ and Summers Vs Frost.

I thought it as Harrison vs Stevenson (Vicarious Liability)

I think i need to get out even more

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am HSE/HR manager at a pigment and ink production plant. It's definitely not dull!

Harrison v Michelin is about horseplay in the workplace. Two FLT drivers made a bet that one of them could move a pallet a worker was standing on without him knowing. The worker fell, was injured, sued Michelin and won on the grounds that supervision should have been in place to prevent the event from happening.

HM Crown v Swan Hunter established the concept of the "controlling mind" when it comes to sub-contractors. A welding company had a perfectly suitable, but separate safe system of work to Swan Hunter's. An oxy-acetylene set was leaking oxygen and caused an enriched atmosphere inside the hull of HMS Glasgow that was being built there at the time. The welding company commenced work the next day and an explosion occurred, killing 8 people. HM Crown contested that Swan Hunter should have imposed it's safe system of work on all contractors as the "controlling mind", i.e. the overall controller of the project.

Rose v Plenty, (neighbours in law)
    Harrison vs Stevenson (Vicarious Liability)

I really do need to get out more....mind you, you have to know this stuff (and how it applies to your workplace) when you are responsible for people's lives....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think it's the general certificate. I also think it's done one day a week over 16 weeks or so.

I'm currently a process operator at a pharmaceutical company. I'm also the safety rep for my shift, which is why I'll get the opportunity to do the course. I do risk assessments for anything new that we may have to do and also attend monthly meetings, raise near misses and all that bollocks. TBH, I'm not particularly interested in it at the minute because it's a lot of extra work for no money or recognition. However, If it would lead me down a path to a better paid job I would embrace it a bit more. I would also love to get a job as an operator offshore and I'm pretty sure this would go in my favour.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You should jump on it.
    Also it means you get 1 day off work per week. courses usually finish at 4pm each day.

If you are already doing all that and are the safety rep then that should stick with you - you basically already have the experience.

I was trying to get a few temp jobs as a safety officer but you needed 2 years experience as well as nebosh
    wit woo