Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Tracing your genetic history

Anyone done this? There are a few sites out there to do it but my brother has just done it on this one - www.23andme.com . You submit some cells from your cheek and then they do the analysis and send you something back. Not too expensive if you fancy giving it a go.

It seems my history, which I knew anyway up to a point is as follows -

Bert is part of a maternal line that scientists have labeled haplogroup L0a. The map below shows where people of haplogroup L0a lived around 500 years ago, before modern transportation allowed people to easily move from continent to continent.
    L0a arose about 55,000 years ago in eastern Africa. Over the past few thousand years, as Bantu-speaking farmers spread eastward from the vicinity of present-day Cameroon and then south, the haplogroup was carried as far as Mozambique.
    Quick Facts

Haplogroup: L0a
    Region: Central, Eastern and Southern Africa
    Populations: Bantu-speakers, Mbuti, Biaka
    Highlight: L0a appears to have expanded to its current range within the last 10,000 years.

Bert's Ancestral History

L0a spread to Mozambique with the expansion of Bantu-speaking populations about 4,000 years ago.
    L0a reaches levels of 5% in Ethiopia.

Introduction

L0 is the most ancient haplogroup on the human mtDNA tree. It arose about 150,000 years ago in Africa – probably in the eastern part of the continent, where the oldest fossils of anatomically modern humans have been found. Africa's relatively wet climate during that period produced an abundant supply of food, which enabled the first people who carried L0 to develop innovations in diet, culture and technology.
    Over the millennia offshoots of L0 arose in different parts of Africa – with branches a and f predominating in the eastern part of the continent, and d and k to the south.
    Haplogroup L0a

Haplogroup L0a arose about 55,000 years ago, probably in eastern or central Africa. It appears to have been carried to the southeastern part of the continent within the last few thousand years, as Bantu-speaking farmers migrated from western Africa first to the east and then southward into present-day Mozambique, where several branches of L0a can be found today.
    Among those branches are haplogroup L0a1, which arose about 35,000 years ago in eastern Africa, where it appears at levels of about 5% in the populations of Ethiopia and Sudan. But L0a1a, a branch of L0a1, is even more common in Mozambique, where it reaches levels of 10%.
    Another branch of L0a, L0a2, is also common in central and southeastern Africa. It appears to have experienced two waves of expansion – the first was not long after it arose about 8,000 years ago, as expanding tropical forests in central Africa helped it spread among pygmy groups such as the Mbuti and Biaka. In the second, the spread of Bantu-speaking populations south and east carried L0a2 to what is now Mozambique about 1,500 years ago.

Anyone got any interesting history?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tracing your genetic history

I did it a few years back. I'm in haplogroup G on my father's side, which is one of the rarest Haplogroups in the UK, accounting for only around 1-2% of the male population. Apparantly my ancestors came from the Caucausus and were probably Sarmatians brought here by the Romans in the early centuries AD.

I did do a lot of research and the Sarmatians tribes (of which there were many) that came west with the Romans from the Caucausus are the base for some versions of the King Arthur legend. The 2004 film starring Clive Owen is based on this version of the legend.

So I could be a fucking Knight of the round fucking table you cunts. Kneel before me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

no because we know the real reason you want us to kneel before you Czar!!! Any feckin excuse...

Rampant Goat and Swarfega spring to mind!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    So I could be a fucking Knight of the round fucking table you cunts. Kneel before me.
    So modest and humble I bet that line would go down well in a job interview
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    So modest and humble I bet that line would go down well in a job interview
    If I told you Stalin was from the same Haplogroup you might get a better idea of how that interview might go.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I smell a load of bollox.... It's my history....