Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question WTF is this shit all about ?

Ferrari backs FIA wing evaluation
    By Jonathan Noble Thursday, February 3rd 2011, 15:56 GMT
    Ferrari has backed the FIA's plans to begin evaluation of the moveable rear wing with a 600 metre overtaking zone for the first few races of the season - even though it may not prove long enough to allow easy passing.
    As AUTOSPORT exclusively revealed earlier today, the FIA has informed teams of its initial plans for the moveable wing rules.
    This will primarily involve designating a 600m zone at the end of a track's main straight where the wing can be utilised - as long as a driver is within one second of the car ahead of him at the preceding corner where a timing zone is going to be laid out.
    Speaking at Valencia after teams tried out the moveable wings for the first time, Costa reckoned early analysis showed that a longer zone than 600m would be better – but thought it was the right approach to start things that way rather than by making overtaking too easy.
    "From the point of view about what we think, we think 600 metres is on the edge, in our opinion," he said when asked by AUTOSPORT about his views on the FIA plans.
    "To have an overtake we think you need more, but the FIA wanted to start from a difficult situation - not an easy pass situation, which for the show would have been not so great.
    "So we understand and we agree on the concept, but our numbers say it is a bit too small."
    The FIA plans to begin evaluating the timing and moveable wing software at the next test in Jerez, before a more extensive test of the timing and overtaking zone implementation in the final pre-season Bahrain test.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89266
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: WTF is this shit all about ?

Now there was me thinking they had introduced budgets to stop all this type of shite ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

And nice and complicated too, so the red shites can make best use of any loopholes!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

If they don't get it set up correctly form the "get go", you could end up where it could be beneficial to be in 2nd place at the start of the final lap.

I'm still really looking forward to seeing this in operation, I just hope it doesn't make overtaking too common place.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tips View Post
    I just hope it doesn't make overtaking too common place.

Thats the main reason I dont watch F1 much anymore. Too much precession and not enough overtaking.

Bring back the days of Senna and Mansell, Plenty of action and drama (But none of the deaths this time please)

-=AD=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AD View Post
    Thats the main reason I dont watch F1 much anymore. Too much precession and not enough overtaking.

Bring back the days of Senna and Mansell, Plenty of action and drama (But none of the deaths this time please)

-=AD=-
    Hi AD,

We deffo want more overtaking. But, it'll mean nothing if it is happening lap-after-lap. It needs to be balanced.

We can watch a football game over the park on a Sunday in which we might see a dozen goals, but that doesn't happen in the Premiership most games are settled by 1 or 2 goals.

It's not all about the overtaking.

Thanks
    Karma Level

all of the teams will "weaponize" the moveable rear wing, although it seems to me they dont want the new rules to increase overtaking to increase the number of cars passing a ferrari.

as for the "too much overtaking" I couldnt disagree more, the btcc has more passing in 3 laps than the f1 has in 12 months and its a cracking race series

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    as for the "too much overtaking" I couldnt disagree more, the btcc has more passing in 3 laps than the f1 has in 12 months and its a cracking race series
    With all due respect mate, if constant overtaking is your thing then watch the BTCC (or NASCAR) . I prefer F1, which I don't think you can argue is considered the pinnacle of all Motorsports.

I am not saying I wouldn't like to see more overtaking in F1, I would. But not too much. I would say that last season was one of the best I can ever remember, it doesn't really need too much tweaking if you ask me. I think this is reflected in the rapidly expanding Global TV audience that chooses to watch F1.

Let me ask you this. Did you find it entertaining last year watching the constant overtaking of the Virgin/Lotus/Hispania Teams? For me that added nothing whatsoever to the spectacle, if anything it detracted from it. Whereas watching the slightly slower Renault of Petrov hold Alonso up, for the majority of the last race of the season kept you on the edge of your seat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I want less safety and more marshalls set on fire.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tips View Post
    Let me ask you this. Did you find it entertaining last year watching the constant overtaking of the Virgin/Lotus/Hispania Teams? For me that added nothing whatsoever to the spectacle, if anything it detracted from it. Whereas watching the slightly slower Renault of Petrov hold Alonso up, for the majority of the last race of the season kept you on the edge of your seat.

If they were racing for position then yes if you mean when they were being lapped by the front runners then no, true its not all about overtaking but if it came down to loads of overtaking vs virtually no overtaking then I pick loads.

I do agree there should only be small tweeks to the system as the racing is as close as ive seen it in years, but that could be down to the teams backing of development and focusing on next years car