Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been Scammed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Been Scammed

Right, i realise i've only got myself to blame for this but i'm fuming and would appreciate any advice.

Bought some Argos vouchers off ebay £500 for £375, they said on their listing that if i paid by cheque/ bank transfer they would lower the price to that. Paypal wouldve been £50 more and in my haste to get a good deal i did a bank transfer to this person.

Ebay sent me an email saying that this seller might be fraudulent but i had already sent payment. The seller is now no longer responding to my emails and is no longer a registered user and i cant use the 'request user information'

All i have to go by is her name and bank details..ive tried to contact ebay but they keep replying with the same standardised BS response. Bank cant do nothing since i made the payment. Contacted some of her previous buyers and they all paid by bank transfer too so they dont have anymore info than i do.

I'm considering going to the police but i somehow doubt they will be interested. Was thinking of going through a small claims court but i just don't have enough info about the person.

I shouldve known better but its happened and if anyone has any advice or ideas that i should try, i'd appreciate it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Been Scammed

put it down as an (expensive) lesson m8

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope you get your money back mate, i only use ebay for low value items now, it's just a joke site full of scammers, as you have sadly found out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Why would the police not be interested. Report it, it's a crime. If everyone had that attitude then nothing would be done. Contact your bank as well and see if they can reverse the transfer.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd be getting straight onto the police too, they may not be interested initially but you may need to persist.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brydo666 View Post
    I'd be getting straight onto the police too, they may not be interested initially but you may need to persist.
    They will do fuck all . . .

Been there tried that although not been scammed quite as easily or for quite as much

Sorry King but I think you r gonna have to put this one down to experience and move on unless you have any contact details for the seller . . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    Why would the police not be interested. Report it, it's a crime. If everyone had that attitude then nothing would be done. Contact your bank as well and see if they can reverse the transfer.
    As above m8 police will unfortunately not be interested in the slightest - unless yr local force is any better than the useless cunts round by me

Thanks
    Karma Level

Send me a mail with the persons name ebay id / auction number bank account number and sort code you paid the money into and any thing else you have.

No promises but I may be able to help you.

I'll PM my email address.

But I would defiantly report it to the police first.
    Last edited by JonEp; 14th February 2011 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you do your bank transfer online and if so who with?

Ive done bank transfers in the past with Halifax online, and when ive gone to delete the transaction..it automatically takes the money back from their account..regardless if they have it or not..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was scammed on the bay and I went to the police, but I'd paid with paypal and they wanted a crime number, it was only a small amount, about £20, the copper came out to my house and took a statement, he did say that he would like to follow it up but as it was such a small amount when he passed it on it would most likely be made, "not in the public interest to follow up"
    You should defo go to the police, even if they don't/can't do anything.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    Did you do your bank transfer online and if so who with?

Ive done bank transfers in the past with Halifax online, and when ive gone to delete the transaction..it automatically takes the money back from their account..regardless if they have it or not..
    Thats the first ive heard of this, I do my banking with natwest and i've never come across this feature.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by king132 View Post
    Thats the first ive heard of this, I do my banking with natwest and i've never come across this feature.
    Ive done it 3 times to a mate of mine..purely by mistake..i had to give him back the original amount and pay his bank charges too..so much easier to stick to cash

Thanks
    Karma Level

Banks can claw bank money in the event of the transfer being fraudulent. I'm not certain whether this means whether the money was fraudulently taken or whether it covers all aspects of the transaction but I would look into this.

I've thought about going to the police for similar but after doing some reading apparently the police don't normally investigate ebay related crime.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by riget View Post
    I was scammed on the bay and I went to the police, but I'd paid with paypal and they wanted a crime number, it was only a small amount, about £20, the copper came out to my house and took a statement
    Well that cost us all about £150 just so you could whine to the police about your £20. Are you fucking serious? Sorry but that makes me angry.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Well that cost us all about £150 just so you could whine to the police about your £20. Are you fucking serious? Sorry but that makes me angry.
    I was thinking the exact same thing last night...for the sake of £20 quid?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing last night...for the sake of £20 quid?
    Theft is theft, no matter how little the amount.
    It was not rigets choice for a police officer to visit his house, it could have been handled over the phone.
    Only when people report all crimes will we ever get any proper figures for crime in this country.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks to tombott

riget (9th July 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got scammed years ago when buying a powerbook. Did a bank transfer, never got the item, went to the police and it was apparently part of a massive fraud ring. Expected to hear no more but got a call 5 months later from the investigating officer in Manchester and they had sent the guys to jail and recovered most of the money running into tens of thousands. Got a cheque a little while later, so no guarantees but definitely worth reporting.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Theft is theft, no matter how little the amount.
    It was not rigets choice for a police officer to visit his house, it could have been handled over the phone.
    Only when people report all crimes will we ever get any proper figures for crime in this country.
    You're not wrong but I only half agree in this instance. Sometimes you have to man-up and take the hit. I personally wouldn't waste any ones time if I'd been conned out of £20. I also wouldn't report lost property to the police if £20 fell out of my jeans.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If they can be found JonEp will find em. The guy is a bloodhound!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You're not wrong but I only half agree in this instance. Sometimes you have to man-up and take the hit. I personally wouldn't waste any ones time if I'd been conned out of £20. I also wouldn't report lost property to the police if £20 fell out of my jeans.
    Report the theft for £10 , because the £10 guy soon becomes the £20 guy , Who becomes the guy who scammed the op ...... each time they get away with it they become braver.

Also op report it to ebay . you can telephone free on 0800 3583229.

While the guy has closed his account, ebay still hold records , and it also gives them the heads up to retain that info for a posible police investigation. If his ip tries to register a new account for his next scam it will also flag it.
    If You Want It Go Get it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast