Close

Thread: Paul

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Paul

Now from the start I had high hopes for this movie, being a massive Frost/Pegg fan I really knew it was going to be hillarious all the way through. I've been a fan of their stuff ever since spaced, Shaun of the Dead is one of my fave movies of all time, and Hot Fuzz, everyone loves that movie.

So you can imagine how excited I was to see their latest venture. I sat down at the cinema like a kid about to watch a new star wars movie, and for the next 90 minutes I was gradually let done minute by minute.

It's a bad film, there's no denying that, it's 90 minutes (which feels like 3 hours) of quotes/homages to other films, with a few crude gags thrown in for good measure. I managed to sit through it, and don't get me wrong there were a few laughs dotted around. But generally it's a pretty poor comedy, and considering the pedigree of the writers, should have been an awful lot better than this.

My mate who I was watching it with even fell asleep.

I'm gutted, but this film is the biggest dissapointment for me in years

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by _Belial View Post
    Now from the start I had high hopes for this movie, being a massive Frost/Pegg fan I really knew it was going to be hillarious all the way through. I've been a fan of their stuff ever since spaced, Shaun of the Dead is one of my fave movies of all time, and Hot Fuzz, everyone loves that movie.

So you can imagine how excited I was to see their latest venture. I sat down at the cinema like a kid about to watch a new star wars movie, and for the next 90 minutes I was gradually let done minute by minute.

It's a bad film, there's no denying that, it's 90 minutes (which feels like 3 hours) of quotes/homages to other films, with a few crude gags thrown in for good measure. I managed to sit through it, and don't get me wrong there were a few laughs dotted around. But generally it's a pretty poor comedy, and considering the pedigree of the writers, should have been an awful lot better than this.

My mate who I was watching it with even fell asleep.

I'm gutted, but this film is the biggest dissapointment for me in years
    *Yawn*
    Sorry, i cudnt disagree anymore with u on this. Pegg and frost r über sci-fi movie geeks. This is a film they were destined to make...purposely to pay homage to all those films they grew up loving. I was fearing that being filmed mostly in the states that it would take the typical british edge off their humour.....but it did not (this is where Gervais failed as neither Pegg or Frost felt the need to use the slang 'douche' for no apparent reason)
    This is a superbly shot insight to every sci-fi geeks wishes. But for others, its still a funny and brilliant adventure/scifi/comedy
    This film is not worthy of any negative feedback

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bald Bouncer; 24th February 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Paul

Fair enough mate you enjoyed it, clearly you're geekier than I cam (and I thought I was pretty geeky). To me the movie references were just cheap shots at a laugh, the whole thing just felt like a couple of one liners stringed together into a pretty weak movie. The whole Paul is a stoner gag soon runs dry, and Frost and Pegg are capable (as they have shown in the past) of much better than what is essentially a movie for 13 year old boys.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

i actually thought it was a very good film however i would say it is definitely a film aimed at people my age (15-21)
    quite a slow start in fairness but once it got going it was very entertaining.

seth rogen voicing paul was the perfect as well.

one last point, nick frost has always been big but he's put on loads of weight since hot fuzz. he's fucking huge

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lmao yeah i did notice his weight had seriously increased.

Im 22, just outside of that bracket so i guess its why i still enjoyed it as much.

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

First 20 or so minutes were really slow but after that it really picked up, loved the geek references. Would recommend for any sci fi fan