Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acer Revo R3700

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Acer Revo R3700

I have always had XBMClive on a SD card But it is not versatile enough for me as I don't want just XBMC, I need a web browser and apps etc. I don't like the XBMC scraper as it is slow and not very easy to alter details, I like Ember Media Manager but that has been discontinued so I will have to find an alternative soon.

If I wanted just a media interface then live would be perfect but a the moment I only use it occasionally if I want to watch a full HD movie without any crashes.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I had tried with Dharma but it stuttered. MPC-hc plays everything perfectly. Will try again later, I assume you are using stable release rather than nightly builds?
    Yeah i'm using the stable release and not the nightly builds. Do you have the option ticked to change the refresh rate to match the display? That can cause stuttering.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Your better off matching XBMC to the spec's of your TV using its EDID. Can be difficult to setup, but gives you the full potential XBMC should do on your particular TV. Info in my guide!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have yet to test it on everything but I just tried a 25GB 1080p x264 MKV IMAX version of Transformers 2 on Dharma and it is completely smooth! Stupid thing is that I had already tried the same build and it didn't work before, and this time I didn't have to tweak anything, it just worked! I don't care why, I'm just happy it works how I wanted it to. Thanks for all replies in this thread.

@DejaVu - I have seen a draft of a guide, if you PM me links to all the guides you have written and I will add them to the sticky me and a couple of other members made for Revo tuts! Also doesn't XBMC Windows auto-detect EDID?
    Last edited by evilsatan; 1st March 2011 at 08:26 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Also doesn't XBMC Windows auto-detect EDID?
    It tries and quite often fails.
    For example, my TV is 1080p, 60Hz and capable of 24FPS. When I originally install XBMC Windows, it only allowed up to 768p (that Windows was limited too) and 50Hz. I even installed the Windows Driver for my TV and it improved the refresh rate to 60Hz, but failed 24FPS. There are more reasons to go over to XBMCLive or Full Linux version than to stick with the easy option of the Window version. XBMC was ported to Linux. Then adapted to Windows.

I run the EDID snoop to read off all the available modes and specified the ones I wanted to use. There are literally hundreds on decent TV's!

I think when XBMC is first installed it utilises DPMS and reads the modes from that somehow and shows those ones in the Video section. You can edit and change these as I said above, albeit these guides are aimed at Linux, I think the fundamentals are really all the same.

I dont claim to be a XBMC guru and have gotten stuck myself hundreds of times. The program is a pain in the arse to get perfect as it's always evolving. Some of the things I wrote out, may already be out of date! But, I would never recommend anything else as XBMC have nailed it perfectly! If I'm wrong in anyway with my guides, I apologise, I have been pissing about with it for months and forget more stuff than I learn! lol Hence the reason it's still marked as a Draft.

I did not realise how involved it was when I started!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

These have dropped in price now! Down to £199 for the Linux one. I've just cancelled my order which wasn't due for delivery until Monday so i'll re-order with next day delivery.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/236579

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My Local CEX is selling the Wireless, Windows 7 version with 2GB, 250GB HDD R3700 for £230.

Cannot be ordered online, but they are definitely there as a mate of mine bought one off the shelf and, Yes they are brand new!

Found details to it online - http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SDESKACER37001A

The same one at eBuyer is 'On Offer' at £285. Usual price £309! Instant saving of £55 at least.

For VIP's without a CEX near them. I'll happily go to town, buy it and post it on so long as you cover postage too. Would need to be bank transfer though. Paypal not accepted at CEX!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 2nd March 2011 at 04:40 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Is that the Wireless Keyboard one?? Argh can't find a phone number for the Bristol store. I'd rather pay £230 for the wireless one plus i'd be able to get it now!

Doh its too late. Payment has been taken from eBuyer now. I'm just going to stick with the Linux one. I've got a few Windows 7 licences so its all good.
    Last edited by liveseytowers; 2nd March 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The more i keep reading about these the more i want one

Not bothered with having windows on it as i'd just want xbmc to boot on start up so guess the linux one would suit me best?

! question i do have though is it possible to get an infa red remote working with these

i've got a logitech harmony 525 so can set it up how i need to but can the unit take infa red commands?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fanni View Post
    ! question i do have though is it possible to get an infa red remote working with these

i've got a logitech harmony 525 so can set it up how i need to but can the unit take infa red commands?
    Yes.
    They accept Media Center Extender remote controls no problem, program that into the Harmony and it will work. There is no IR receiver on it though, so you need to attach a USB receiver too.

Got my one (HP Branded) from eBay. As mentioned in the other thread, you can also control XBMC using a Wireless connection to any Android, iPhone, Windows device as well. Other devices are always being added.

XBMC has even been ported to run on Apple TV and I think plans to control it from the iPhone has been added. It's mainly web based (using JSON API), so almost everything is compatible.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have an Android phone, iPhone or iPad use a remote app, I use my iPad and it's the tits!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Full blown XBMC is now available as a frontend for iPad, iPhone4 and ATV2. Try before you buy perhaps...! MKV support NOT implemented yet.

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/yo...-ipad-iphone4/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Having now had the 3700 up and running for the last week I can honestly say it's the best bit of kit I've had in a while. XBMC runs like a dream and streams anything I chuck at it over the network. The xbmc iplayer add-on is major bonus too, it just works. I've also got a 3610, but with the more powerful cpu and gpu the Revo really has come of age with the 3700. If you're looking for a reasonably priced HTPC I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Installing Windows 7 x64 on mine tonight. Looking forward to using xbmc on windows again

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    Installing Windows 7 x64 on mine tonight. Looking forward to using xbmc on windows again
    Let us now how the performance is with Windows 7 and the Revo 3700. I hadnt bothered as it was dia on the 3610. IMO.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 3rd March 2011 at 06:42 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm nearly done now and I have to say i'm very impressed. My old R3600 is a little noisy due to some hardware issue but this R3700 is pretty much silent. My V+ box and external HDD is noisier and the HDD is fanless! I've got it on the stand in the corner of the room so it should be able to breath OK.

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate N x64 (fook knows what the N is?) and had to update the Nvidia Drivers, Chipset, Audio and LAN drivers which took about an hour. Then cracked on with XBMC and scanning my media etc to get all the cover art. Tried a 1080p film with DD 5.1 audio and it played perfectly. CPU usage was next to fook all and the Revo didn't make a sound. It really is silent!

I'm really happy with it as almost everything is working within a couple of hours with no faffing around or searching the web for help.

The only things left to sort out is my IR receiver isn't working and i've no idea what make it is so finding drivers for it is going to be tricky. DTS audio isn't working in XBMC so i need to figure that out but i think its more to do with my amp than the Revo.

Very Very happy with it

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate N x64 (fook knows what the N is?)
    Windows 7 Ultimate without Media Player. No biggy.

DTS audio isn't working in XBMC so i need to figure that out but i think its more to do with my amp than the Revo.
    HDMI Audio Driver from Nvidia...?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the update with your Tuts Deja Vu - you have now given me a dilema!

Do I start again and try and do everything "your way", or do I stick with what I have that I am fairly happy with, but not completely optimised?!

One big question I do have for all XBMC users, is this :- Nearly every MKV that I have, has a small amount of "stutter or juddering" when the camera is panning. I have tried everything I can think of to eliminate it, including the EDID stuff you have talked about. I recently played a couple of them through my PS3, and found that it was still there. So is it down to the d/l's themselves, my tv, or settings etc.

Can any of you say HONESTLY, that all films play silky smooth ALL the time, with no signs of judder at all?

Thanks
    Karma Level

What is your TV? Is it capable of 24p?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As I posted in the other thread Ive recently reinstalled XBMC Dharma and the difference out of the box is staggering.

The iplayer add-on is the bollocks....I still struggle to play BBC HD IPlayer progs via the website but in the XBMC add-on its perfect!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast