Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Cheap flight and accommodation from London to LA between March 14th-17th

I really need to get out to LA between March 14th-17th. I don't have much money so I'm struggling to find a deal that I could even begin to think about financing.

I'm not bothered about the standard of the accommodation as long as it has the basic requirements. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. If I can manage to get out to LA it could potentially be life changing for me, so it's very important!

Thanks for your time.
    If Circles were Squares and the Sea was the Sky...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cheap flight and accommodation from London to LA between March 14th-17th

I asked our company travel person to have a look but the best she could find through her agents was £993 return with Air New Zealand (taxes included). That was from Heathrow, travelling the 14th and returning the 17th.
    If you went out on the 13th and came back on the 20th she says it's £440. Staying over a Saturday makes a massive difference to flight costs to the USA seemingly

Hopefully someone can find you something better.
    PSN :- t1mbhoy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cheap flight and accommodation from London to LA between March 14th-17th

As wulliec said, the dates you need to travel on aren't in your favour mate You can travel from Heathrow for a return fare of £426.67 (taxes incl.) if you go out on Monday 14th, Tuesday 15th, Wednesday 16th or Thursday 17th, provided that you come back on Sunday 20th. For some reason that return date triggers a deal on the Air New Zealand website. It's £441.67 (taxes incl.) if you travel out on the Friday 18th or Saturday 19th.

Don't forget to fill out an ESTA application if you do go

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks wulliec and drdude I appreciate the help very much.

I don't mind staying for the longer duration, I just wonder how much the accommodation is going to be and if it's going to be cheaper to get accommodation and flights as a package, and if so, who with?

And please excuse my ignorance but is the ESTA process the only option I have for entering the states? What's it going to cost?

Also, a friend said my passport needs to be the new type with the identity chip in it? I don't have that as my passport was issued in October 2004 and Expires october 2014. Is it going to be a problem?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes you need an ESTA filled in in advance.

Cost is 14 USD I believe

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My passport doesn't have a chip and I'm in and out of the States all the time.
    It does have to be "machine readable" though. I'm pretty sure a 2004 passport is.

Sorry I can't help with accommodation. My company just use Hilton / Hampton Inn or Marriott and that's it.
    PSN :- t1mbhoy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok thanks very much. Finally, do you think I should look for a package deal online or do it by visiting a travel agent? My uncle said I was covered in some way if I went for a package deal rather than purchasing the flights and accommodation seperately.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by -AMO- View Post
    Ok thanks very much. Finally, do you think I should look for a package deal online or do it by visiting a travel agent? My uncle said I was covered in some way if I went for a package deal rather than purchasing the flights and accommodation seperately.
    I was concerned about the whole booking flight and hotel separately thing for a trip I made to Gran Canaria last year, but with the right travel insurance insurance, it isn't a problem. You need to find a company that does an independent traveller insurance and you'll be covered.

Quote from AXA:
    Independent travellers insurance is provided as an optional extra to our standard travel insurance policy. It offers some of the financial protection customers would normally receive from their tour operator when purchasing a package holiday. When booking travel and accomodation independently customers do not enjoy the same amount of financial protection when certain problems arise.

So if you are planning on booking parts of your travel arrangements yourself, rather than as part of a package from a travel agents, you may wish to take our independent travellers insurance to help protect you from such eventualities as may beset the independent traveller. If you are buying an annual travel policy you may wish to take the independent travellers insurance so you can be flexible in your future travel arrangements, and remain covered for travel arrangements you make independently. See our independent travellers guide for further information on this important optional insurance cover.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I'm all booked up. Fly out to LAX this Sunday and I'm staying in Sunset Blvd. LA until the 21st. I've filled in and printed off my ESTA Application and got my travel insurance.

Is there anything else I need to think about or sort out before going?

Thanks for all the help by the way, I really appreciate it.