Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Job Interview for Estimator of fibre optic cabling and wired networks

I have an interview this week for an Estimator job for a company who provides network cabling and related services, particularly for IT and telephony systems. Their services include:
    Voice and data cabling
    Networks – fibre optic and copper
    Blown fibre
    Wireless connectivity

What would this job involve? Are any of you on here in a similar job in a large scale?
    I'm mainly just looking for an information you can give on this. Buzz words for me to use etc.

The company installs the networks in schools, airports, hotels etc so there is a lot of cabling required.
    wit woo

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Job Interview for Estimator of fibre optic cabling and wired networks

One of my mates is an estimator in London for an electrical firm. Doesn't the job spec answer most your questions? I think most estimators have an office job, the assessor will visit the site and calculate what is required and pass that onto you, then you work out the costings. But I would imagine the assessment and costings would be a single job in some companies depending on their size.

The above is just my thoughts so don't take them as gospel.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Job Interview for Estimator of fibre optic cabling and wired networks

Yeah, cheers.
    I am looking for specific estimators/installers of networks cabling etc on a large scale for info on it all
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Make sure you know the difference between cat 5 and cat 6 (most schools I work with use cat5e) also check out the different types of fibre connections like LC to Lc, Sc to Lc and Sc to Sc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work for an electrical contractor and there is an estimation dept based downstairs.

I work in the IT dept so my understanding of their job is limited but I will tell you roughly what I see them up to:

We get invited to tender for new jobs, for ones we actually go for their boss will assign a team to a tender. They will then look through reams of tender docs and specs to look for catches, then they put through many requests for information and clarifications.

They look at piles of drawings counting up number of fittings to be installed, length of cable routes to be installed, etc. in order to determine how much they feel we should charge for the job.

As parts of the price they will put down things like preliminary costs (stuff we need to get going), ongoing labour costs with numbers of what type of staff will be on the project when (cad staff, project management, operatives, etc), as well as the cost of kit to be installed (and a profit margin of course). They normally get a few weeks to work on each job and have to manage their own time to ensure they collate the information to quote by deadlines.

Their jobs are mainly office based although there will be quite a few out of office meetings to attend. They extensively use a computer package to get standardised prices for items and install times, although there are a few prominent packages and I doubt anyone knows all of them. I believe most of the data comes from books called Luckins and Spons (I believe they can be found in electronic format).

The role carries a lot of responsiblity - go too high and your firm won't win any business. Tender too low and they will win loads of work that will loose them loads. The job should be fairly well paid (I'm thinking £50k+), and you will have all the suppliers desperate to take you out for food and drinks. Depending on the firm you may be looking at unpaid overtime.

Also evilsatan, your mate doesn't work for Phoenix or Clarkes by any chance?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the in depth info.
    I know about the process for general construction etc so this will just be the same I suppose.
    The pay will be a lot lower.
    Im only a graduate so it will be a basic wage I would say.

I must look up those connections Sanj{UK}

Do any of you have any knowledge of fibre optics?
    e.g. how often does the signal have to be boosted?
    Typical cost per metre of cabling of fibre optic cable?
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by scullion View Post
    Thanks for the in depth info.
    I know about the process for general construction etc so this will just be the same I suppose.
    The pay will be a lot lower.
    Im only a graduate so it will be a basic wage I would say.

I must look up those connections Sanj{UK}

Do any of you have any knowledge of fibre optics?
    e.g. how often does the signal have to be boosted?
    Typical cost per metre of cabling of fibre optic cable?
    I can't remember the prices off the top of my head but it varies from supplier to supplier.

Regarding distance I work on a few sites that 6-7miles on a fibre optic connection from the local exchange. That does affect service those as a site would be paying for a 100mb service and get around 55mb .

Thanks
    Karma Level

I see on ebay that there is a few sellers selling the Spons up to date manual on cd (PDF) file. Does anyone know where I could download such a file. I cant seem to find it on torrent sites ect. Anyone know of anywhere I may have better luck ?
    Er a part time bad poker player was ere:bomb:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry - I only know of electronic formats as I've twice spotted naughty copies installed on pc's - got a couple of mates that wouldn't mind a copy themselves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I`m a telecommunication engineer. What is it that I can help with? I install all aspects of data cabling...cat 5, 6, fibre, and telephone systems etc...just let me know if I can be of help
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I seem to have hijacked this thread a little. (Sorry op) I am looking for software/ebook whatever to make my life eaier when pricing up private (Electrical) jobs. Only reason i didnt start a new thread was because the stuff I am after had already been mentioned in this thread.
    Er a part time bad poker player was ere:bomb: