Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Xbox Live Hacked? Lots of MS Points bought

In the last few days my sister has had her CC bill through and someone has bought stuff from Xbox on my nephews profile, totaling over £150. One of the payments was £42 some odd. there's been about 4 lots of £17.50, and a few £8.50 payments all within a space of a couple days. I'm guessing all these were MS points.

Rang MS and they've closed the account so no more payments can be made, theyve had the console ID and serial and are going to ring my sis back. I've just had a look in his download history and it looks like there's been a few things for Burnout Paradise been bought, my nephew doesn't even have this game.

There's only a couple things I can think of. He's signed in on his mates hard drive with his profile and its stayed on there or someone has guessed his password somehow. One other thing which i'm leaning to more, is he sold his old Xbox hard drive a few months back to CEX and he never formatted it and theyve recently sold the hard drive to someone.

Anyway is there anything I can look out for to find out who's done it? (I know for a fact it isn't my nephew as he hasn't even been on XBOX in the past few days)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox Live Hacked? Lots of MS Points bought

you will find some people saying he has given his pass away looking for free MS points.
    Just before xmas i had my account stolen and all my points got spent. I had caught them in the act but couldnt rescue the points as they had already recovered it to thier box.

There is no way i gave them the pass and my kids dont know it to give it out anyway. (plus they are more clued up about it)

i had found that people who i didnt know had been added to the friends list. so check out people that are on there you dont know. I also found they this person had added themselves as a primary account on my hotmail (which i dont use) but because it was part of my account settings they had got in that way. so check out to see if another email is attached to the account.
    I had the email of the person and traced them to find out who they was.
    Microsoft are crap at getting stuff done. took me a month to get my points back and accounts unlocked (all 4 cause i have a family account) even though i got thier gamer tag. all they had to do was look at the console id and match it up.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bbshark View Post
    There is no way i gave them the pass and my kids dont know it to give it out anyway. (plus they are more clued up about it)
    Didn't you get hacked before because they gave the pass away or was that before they got "clued up"

dannyboy you need to ask the kids if they have given the pass away, I know some people have blinkers regarding this even when the obvious is staring them in the face but at the very least it may stop the same happening again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the replies guys. My nephew is a pretty clued up 14 year old to be honest and he said he hasn't given his password away at all. His mom just rang him and asked for his password so I could check the account details on xbox.com and he wouldn't tell her because people were around him so i'm pretty sure he hasn't, although you know what kids are like...

He could have easily had an email like you say saying receive free points if he puts his details in, but he said he hasn't done that but you never know.

Anyway I looked on the billing section on xbox.com, its been going on for over a month, 2000 points here, 500 here, 5000 a week or so ago. Its about £170's worth altogether. Most of the points have been spent on Fifa 11 Ultimate Team player packs, although a few have been spent on Burnout avatars and all that shit.

Checked his friends list and messages and he only has 20 people on there, and he knows who they all are. Rang MS up again and they're investigating it, and whatever hasn't been downloaded on his xbox theyre going to refund apparently. Although not sure how long that will take.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Didn't you get hacked before because they gave the pass away or was that before they got "clued up"

dannyboy you need to ask the kids if they have given the pass away, I know some people have blinkers regarding this even when the obvious is staring them in the face but at the very least it may stop the same happening again.
    They was always clued up but even if they wasn't it would have been their pass not mine they would have given.

Danny if it's been going for a while then as your nephew had to recover his account a any time?
    To be able to use the card I'm sure the account would have been recovered to be able to buy and spend the points on the account. That would mean before using the account on live it would need recovering again.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657