Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info The "Y" Word - Kick it Out

Is this really an issue in football that needs this kind of publicity alongside other racist words? What do you think

Frank Lampard, Ledley King and Kieran Gibbs appear in a new film launched today (14 April) aimed at tackling anti-Semitism and anti-Jewish abuse in football.

The film, entitled The Y-Word, has been written and produced by David and Ivor Baddiel, in conjunction with Kick It Out, football’s equality and inclusion campaign, Maccabi GB, Community Security Trust, The Shoresh Foundation and Fahrenheit Films.

Awareness
    “The film is not intended to censor football fans,” said David. “It's simply to raise awareness that the y-word is - and has been for many, many years - a race hate word. It's our belief that some football fans may not even realise this, and the film is designed therefore to inform and raise debate." The minute-long film explores the use of the word ‘Yid’ by football supporters. Gary Lineker, England women’s star Rachel Yankey and Zesh Rehman, the Premier League’s first British Asian player, also feature in the film.

Lord Herman Ouseley, Chair of Kick It Out, said: “This film will form a key part of the organisation’s education work on matters around anti-Semitism.”

The film has already received widespread support from London’s Premier League clubs ahead of its debut screening.

Debate
    Tottenham Hotspur Executive Director, Donna Cullen, said: “It is unthinkable and wholly unacceptable that, in this day and age, supporters are subjected to anti-Semitic abuse such as hissing to imitate the gas chambers used during the Holocaust in the Second World War.

“We look forward to an informed and proper debate with Kick It Out, stakeholders and the key authorities to raise greater awareness and put in place the stringent measures needed to stop anti-Semitic abuse in football. We are committed to eliminating all forms of racism and we shall support efforts to kick anti-Semitism out of the game.”

Chelsea Chairman, Bruce Buck, commented: “Chelsea FC has been campaigning about issues around anti-Semitism for many years. We have, and always will, take the strongest possible action against anyone found making any kind of discriminatory chant or taunt. It is great to see the football world come together to support a project that will raise awareness of the problem.”
    Backing
    Arsenal Chief Executive, Ivan Gazidis, said: “Arsenal FC supports any initiative designed to reduce exclusion. The club works hard under the ‘Arsenal for Everyone’ banner on a range of issues aimed at increasing equality and inclusion. Given the club's proximity to some of the country’s largest Jewish communities, stamping out anti-Semitism is something we have, historically, paid particular attention to and applaud Kick It Out in this new method of tackling it.”

Governing bodies have also pledged their backing, with FA General Secretary, Alex Horne, saying: "The FA is delighted to support the film and we hope that it has a positive impact in educating football fans on anti-Semitic behaviour. The 'think again' message is clear for those who use chants such as the y-word. We are committed to football for all and our overall aim is to make football stadiums family friendly and open to everyone."

Zero-tolerance
    Deputy Chief Executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association, Bobby Barnes, said: “The PFA has a zero-tolerance stance to all forms of racism, bigotry and hatred and this includes all forms of anti-Semitism. Chants and songs are a part of football culture but we will not condone any form of chanting that causes offence to players or the majority of supporters who go to the game to enjoy football, not to create trouble.”
    Chairman of the Football League, Greg Clarke, gave the film his backing: “There is no place for any form of racism in football and we welcome this initiative on anti-Semitism by Kick It Out. Football League clubs are committed to creating safe, family friendly environments at their grounds and they will not tolerate this kind of behaviour.”

John Mann MP, Chair of The FA Working Group on tackling anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in football, added: "The Y-Word is a powerful and important film which demonstrates that footballers from many different backgrounds have complete contempt for racist taunts, whoever the victim. I know The FA take these matters seriously and have been pleased with their efforts to implement the recommendations of my report on tackling anti-Semitism and Islamophobia in football.”

http://www.kickitout.org/1307.php

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Yids

I am fully aware that to a Jewish person the "Y" word has the same level of insult and offence as calling a black person the "N" word.
    However I believe that most football fans are completely ignorant/obilvious to the connotations of using the "Y" word.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The "Y" Word - Kick it Out

ive got over 30 Jewish clients and they dont give a flying fuck about being called a Yid, most of them say it means absolutely nothing to me.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've never even heard of this word before. What does it mean?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    I've never even heard of this word before. What does it mean?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Comes from the word Yiddish I believe, it's a derogatory term wikipedia explains it well

Yid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia@@AMEPARAM@@/wiki/Fileage_from_Yiddish-Hebrew-Latin-German_dictionary_by_Elijah_Levita.jpg" class="image">

Thanks
    Karma Level

first time ive heard of it

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Jewish community are hardly a marginalised minority in the UK. So, lets save this shit for words that really bring hurt to a marginalised minority.

Again the Jewish lobby distort and make a mockery of real campaigns we should be concentrating on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

might as well get the word Cunt banned too, is it even illegal to call someone a cunt in the street or in a supermarket? I'd think people would find that much more offensive, personally I couldn't give a flying fuck, if you really do get hurt over words that are said to you then your an emotional cock anyway. Sticks and stones and all that bollocks........

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Since when did a religion become a race?
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    ive got over 30 Jewish clients and they dont give a flying fuck about being called a Yid, most of them say it means absolutely nothing to me.
    Hardly representative...it's like black friends of mine calling each other "n**ger". It means nothing to them but I don't join in the reclamation.

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    The Jewish community are hardly a marginalised minority in the UK. So, lets save this shit for words that really bring hurt to a marginalised minority.

Again the Jewish lobby distort and make a mockery of real campaigns we should be concentrating on.
    An estimated 300k Jews living in the UK...compared to 30 million Christians, 2.4million Muslims, 800k Hindus, (These figures were from 2009...yes Wikipedia). Looks like they are a marginalised minority.

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Since when did a religion become a race?
    A common question mate....a race normally means that the people derive from one single ancestry. Good answer here:

"
    Are Jews a Race?

In the 1980s, the United States Supreme Court ruled that Jews are a race, at least for purposes of certain anti-discrimination laws. Their reasoning: at the time these laws were passed, people routinely spoke of the "Jewish race" or the "Italian race" as well as the "Negro race," so that is what the legislators intended to protect.
    But many Jews were deeply offended by that decision, offended by any hint that Jews could be considered a race. The idea of Jews as a race brings to mind nightmarish visions of Nazi Germany, where Jews were declared to be not just a race, but an inferior race that had to be rounded up into ghettos and exterminated like vermin.
    But setting aside the emotional issues, Jews are clearly not a race.
    Race is a genetic distinction, and refers to people with shared ancestry and shared genetic traits. You can't change your race; it's in your DNA. I could never become black or Asian no matter how much I might want to. Common ancestry is not required to be a Jew. Many Jews worldwide share common ancestry, as shown by genetic research; however, you can be a Jew without sharing this common ancestry, for example, by converting. Thus, although I could never become black or Asian, blacks and Asians have become Jews (Sammy Davis Jr. and Connie Chung). "

Source: http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    An estimated 300k Jews living in the UK...compared to 30 million Christians, 2.4million Muslims, 800k Hindus, (These figures were from 2009...yes Wikipedia). Looks like they are a marginalised minority.
    I think you should look up the word 'marginalised'.

Thanks
    Karma Level

theres over 30,000 in my area of manchester alone.

Incidentaly I also just remembered I have a long standing mate that has sometimes helped me on big jobs that we have always called Yidda, he's called Julian and and has had the name since childhood, when one of the Rabbi's heard us shouting to him he was intrigued as to why he asked is he Jewish? when explained he just laughed. Its not a word I would ever say to a Jewish guy in any sort of malice, id never do that ever I find the Jewish people a thoroughly decent religious group and enjoy working for them. I just think that the people that would find the word offensive, certainly in the UK, is the minority.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you should look up the word 'marginalised'.
    Done. My mistake, I was thinking more along the lines margins in terms of proprtions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    “The film is not intended to censor football fans,” said David. “It's simply to raise awareness that the y-word is - and has been for many, many years - a race hate word.
    Words are only offensive in context.

Fortunately, there is another Jewish point of view on things. Unfortunately, it's rarely heard:

Independent Jewish Voices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe they need to look closer to home, at the Spurs supporters who call "Yid Army" then too?
    Apathy? can't be arsed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

People need to chill the fuck out about 'words'.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its casual racism like this that I can't stand. Especially when I'm at The Arsenal and fellow fans spout this word about Spurs, I feel the need to point out that most of our board are (or were until very recently) Jewish. We also have a big Jewish following.

And anyway, "The Scum" is a far more accurate way of describing Tottenham Hotspur.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what a waste of time, Yid is about offensive as Jew imo

Yiddish was a self imposed label by German Jews if memory serves

It can in no way be compared to the "N" word

Thanks
    Karma Level

The word Yid is offensive to Jewish people in the 21st century no matter what it's origins are. It baffles me that people are trying to justify it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yid

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mackey
    ERIC! Did you just use the F-word?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    Jew?!
    Racial slur yes, comparable to others? Not sure TBH. Jews are more a minority than other races, but it's bound to offend some of them...

Especially if its free...

Jews aren't actually a race tho, merely followers of a faith.

DJ OD
    Last edited by DJ OD; 6th May 2011 at 03:10 PM.