Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help iPhone 3GS crack on rear cover (Not under Warrenty) and unlocking.

All, I have just taken ownership of a iPhone 3GS (Currently locked to Orange). I believe the unit is out of warrenty as I have checked its serial number on the apple site. I have the imfamous small crack on the rear of the phone starting from the dock connector. At the moment it is only about 2-3mm long. Will I still be able to get this repaired though it is out of warrenty?? Or is there a fixed cost? Or maybe I just live with it?? Also, I would like to get it unlocked officially as its going to belong to my missus, is it simpler for em to go to my local Orange branch? or online? The friend who sold me the phone left inside an Orange SIM that is still active, so hopefully this will assist??

Kind regards for all your help (hopefully)
    If you can't run with the big dogs, stay in the porch!!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: iPhone 3GS crack on rear cover (Not under Warrenty) and unlocking.

Worth taking it to an Apple store, they sometimes fix known faults out of warranty.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the same on mine. Will cost about £40 in a repair shop or look on eBay. I'm waitin until my contract expires before getting mine sorted.

Mine has had the crack for ages now and it doesn't appear to be eating any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

might take a punt at an apple shop, see what they say, cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not used them personally but £45 http://www.ukipodrepairs.co.uk/

Regards
    Les
    1 Metre Channel Master - Motorised With Manhattan H/H - Gennesis3 0.4 Lnb - Humax 5400 Patched With ToH3.0 - Funcard2/DS9 Edit Own Files.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i'd put it in a shell cover and live with it personally, until I happened to be going to a town with an apple store. Just make sure you make an appointment before you go.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, cheers malty

Thanks
    Karma Level

Took mine to an Apple store with the infamous crack on the back and was told they dont carry replacement for the 3GS covers

Was advised to look on ebay or get a shell cover. Decided to live with it as its not getting a lot worse.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good to know they 'might' fix this out of warranty as mine has developed this also...
    However it is a 3GS... No harm in trying however as I work near the Regen Street store in London.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck sake...

So planned my appointment. Got there 10 mins early and stood in a queue.
    It was apparent then I had to check in, so I moved out of the queue only for two ugly bints to take my space...

Anyhow, checked in, even though I did not need to, and waited....waited...waited....waited....WAITED!!!!!!!!!

Eventually gave someone my serial number and waited..... waited....

40 minutes later and 30 mins after my booked session I get to see someone. They asked my serial again and told me I was 102 days out of warranty and that it would cost £139.99 + vat to repair!

Not a happy camper.... Why the initial person could not answer something so trivial and why the fuck have a booking system if it does not actually work.

Twats.

Thanks
    Karma Level

a journey of the misinformed there...

the genius bar is for ALL problems regarding apple kit, just one of those is warranty support. They do paid repairs, software support etc etc. You might have checked your warranty online and be just wanting to pay the £140 for whatever fault you had. You were just chancing your arm and it didn't work out. Boo hoo. They took your serial at the start as that's the point of reference for everyone and everyone knows what equipment the meet is regarding.

The decision to repair or not to repair **out of warranty** for free is pretty much up to whatever genius you speak to. I had an iBook repaired almost 2 years out of warranty, which had a fault on the motherboard, but as this is a discretionary service, there's always a chance you won't be delighted by whatever they decide. My friend who's currently at Newcastle store says he never does out of warranty replacements for cosmetic issues, but knows of other techs that do.

The booking system is usually very rigid so I'm surprised you had to wait, but at a flagship store at peak time it's likely to get overloaded. If I ever use them (twice so far), I book a slot at like 10am on a weekday etc.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I was just chancing it, but I am angry about wasting an hour nearly.

If you book a time slot you book a time slot. I would expect someone like Apple to be able to manage such a simple service.