Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Who's on their second Kindle or more?

Mine started to randomly reboot then would not power up at all.

Had Amazon call me back using the website and they confirmed it needed to be replaced after asking me to hold the power switch for 15 seconds which did nothing.

When it came to sending me a new one they stalled as I had registered it on a new Amazon account but never bought any books so they needed a credit card. I had done this on purpose to get the updates but add my only collection of ebooks.

When asked why they said it was to confirm my address and that they won't debit it.

OK I think lets see and I give them a prepayment visa card I use online.

This then becomes a problem because they attempt to authorizes £200 on the card but there isn't that amount on it which prompts her to admit that they were in fact pre authorizing the amount to cover in case I failed to send the old one back inc shipping.

No need I said I will return it to Tesco where I bought it. ... No you won't she says they are not authorized to do so.

Cut a long story short Tesco's at first refused on the grounds that they just acted as an agent for Amazon. Much like you do for Kelloggs I replied !

In the end after a few phone calls they did indeed swap it so no long wait over the holiday and a shiny new kindle No 2.

Who else has had theirs swapped out?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Who's on their second Kindle or more?

we (formerly DHL) do amazon return collections and have been picking up an increasing number of kindles week on week. As I have one myself, I'd always ask what the problem was and they were mostly screen faults or wireless issues. One couple had one each and both had been replaced twice with the same screen fault.

Mine's been spot on mind you.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

mates on about no. 4/5 but he does have a habit of sitting on them etc. He did get a same day replacement on his last one (they shipped it to him/arrived on the same day) as he bitched so much about having bought so many/so many faults.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Blimey, I'm glad I stuck with my 505!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I sat on mine whilst on Holiday. When I got back I phoned Amazon and they organised for the faulty one to be picked up by DHL and sent me a new one out. The whole process took a couple of days and I was more than impressed with the service.

However 4 weeks later I get this email :

Hello,
    We're writing about your recent warranty service claim and your replacement order, No. 026-5728035-3564315. Your replacement items are being shipped to you.
    We wanted to let you know that we haven't received all the items that were replaced. Please see the updated summary below for what's missing. If you've already sent the items, please disregard this message.
    If you still have the items, you'll need to return them to avoid the charges, detailed below, to your credit card (a Visa ending in ****).
    Details:
    1Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally - Latest GenerationDue Date:31-May-2011Charge Amount:�152.00Shipping Amount:�0.00Tax:�30.40

Total Principal:�152.00Total Shipping:�0.00Tax:�30.40Total:�182.40
    For your convenience we've created return labels you can use to return your items. To print them out, click on the links below and follow the instructions.
    Amazon.co.uk - Returns Support CentreWe look forward to seeing you again soon.

I'm like WTF ! DHL had collected the knackered one the very next day which I had signed for. The funny thing was that they were also going to charge me an extra £30 for VAT ( WTF ! ).

Anyway I thought I'd phone DHL first, where I was asked if I had a receipt for the collection and the reference number. Now I had anticipated this but after hunting high and low I could not find my receipt anywhere. So I asked the man to check my collection using the date and postcode of my address to which he replied that 'They could only track a parcel by the tracking number'. So I'm now saying 'Look surely the paper trail can be found from the date of collection and Postcode, especially from the depot that had organised the collection.' He again said 'No this is not possible and I should phone Amazon' and that was that ! To say I was flabbergasted by DHL's lack of cooperation was an understatement to say the least. So I phoned Amazon and got through to a Woman who had very poor English so I was already filled with dread. Anyway they have a department that work solely with DHL and she spoke to them and then came back with the reply that they had no recollection of the Kindle being picked up according to the Amazon tracking number.
    So I told her for the second time that she must tell DHL to find the collection by other means i.e. Postcode and time of collection. I informed her that if I was the Police and I wanted this information from DHL then that information would take them about 5 mins to find.
    So after another phone call she came back to me saying 'DHL could still not find the details from the tracking number'. I'm now getting 'really' pissed off as she didn't seem to be understanding a word I was saying. So again I explain that she needs to get DHL to check again by the Postcode etc. After another 5 minutes waiting she gets back to me and says that 'They are looking into it but the good news is that she had put a note on the system saying I was not to be charged.
    2 hours later I was sent this email :

Hello,

I’ve made a note on your account that you aren’t to be charged for the replacement Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite, 3G Works Globally.

Read our Help pages for additional information about returns and refunds.

www.amazon.co.uk/returns

We hope to see you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

Anyway the moral of the story is if you send one back, make sure you keep your receipt.

Maltloaf you work as a courier. Do you know if DHL were being Lazy, their database is shite or are they just generally unhelpful ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

You may want to check your balance against the available balance on you Credit / Debit Card to see if they have pre authorized the amount against your card though it only lasts 14 days.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    You may want to check your balance against the available balance on you Credit / Debit Card to see if they have pre authorized the amount against your card though it only lasts 14 days.
    It does not appear that they have done that thank God !