Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Big Issue magazine to be sold by the jobless

The Big Issue magazine is to be sold by the unemployed and not just the homeless.

The weekly publication, which will celebrate its 20th anniversary in September, has changed the rules due to the tough economic climate.

Founder John Bird said the point of the magazine was to help people in a crisis which included some of the unemployed.

But some vendors have raised concerns the change will dilute the charity's message.

"We're now meeting people that would never have come to the Big Issue, professional people, former solicitors for example," Mr Bird told BBC London.
    'Here to help' "And we're saying we're here to help people, anybody in a crisis.

"We don't want to see people slip into long-term unemployment and homelessness."

London vender Mahesh Pherwani, said: "I do not see it as competition - we are all in the same boat.

"But it will have an impact on people's perception of how the Big Issue operates and what it exactly represents."

The Big Issue was launched in London in 1991 with the aim of helping the homeless help themselves, and the slogan of 'offering a hand up, not a hand out'.

It operates by selling the magazine to vendors for half the cover price. They then get to keep the difference when they sell the magazine on.
    Back in 1991 it cost just 50p, now it is £2.

There also are now editions in the North, the South West as well as Wales and Scotland.
    The charitable organisation currently supports 2,900 people and the magazine is read by nearly 700,000 people every week.

Speaking on its impact Mr Bird said: "I think the greatest thing we've done is we've changed the way people look upon the homeless.
    "We've given dignity back to the victim, so the victim can stop being a victim."

>>Source<<
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Big Issue magazine to be sold by the jobless

Can't see the jobless round here having time to do this tbh, they're to busy getting pissed in the pubs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ilscuro View Post
    Can't see the jobless round here having time to do this tbh, they're to busy getting pissed in the pubs.
    All of them? Or are you just putting every unemployed person into the same bracket?
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Of course i don't class every jobless person like that, but i speak as i see mate, every pub in my town centre is full of jobless peeps every day, how the hell are they going to get them to leave the comfort of the pub to start standing outside in all weather selling the big issue.

Thanks
    Karma Level

another person so completely out of touch with reality he should be part of the govenment

Thanks
    Karma Level

John Bird is far from being out of touch, he's one of the few who actually cares enough to do something.

I can't say I agree with allowing the jobless to sell the big issue. Being jobless and claiming the doll, living in a house etc is totally different from being homeless, where you have an awesome time camping on the street and drinking surgical handwash from hospitals.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Afaik, you can't claim dole if you sell the Big issue, you are classed as self employed.... although you can still claim tax credits and housing benefit, as well as getting a national insurance number so then you have 'right's' to work and if you are in the country illegally, you become legit in that respect.

Just my understanding of the law.

Thanks
    Karma Level

who actually buys the big issue? I hate to admit it but ive never once bought it off anyone, I donate my hair for wigs for a childerns cancer charity and i also give to the local special care baby unit because my sis is a senior midwife on there but ive never even considered buying the big issue,

if they did something like they have in the states where you get coupons for discounts if you bought it id snap one up but I cant see it happening (yes ive been watching extreme couponing lol)