Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Home Media Center set up and Disk Playability

Hi all i have a LG BLUE RAY PLAYER WITH DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND,MODEL NUMBER HX906PA.
    The thing is, according to the manual this system will play everything and i am really up to speed with how to copy and burn but every time i put a standard AVI i have burnt to disk it actually locks the player up and i have to switch it off at the mains to get the disk back out? This has never happened to me before and my question is: If i have a blue ray player do i have to burn a standard 4.7 gig Blank DVD with a certain type of program as this is the first time i have owned a blue Ray it plays bought Blue ray and bought DVD but not copied from my PC the program i use for all my conversions is Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter.

Regards.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Home Media Center set up and Disk Playability

Hello mate have you tried just playing the files using a USB stick, or do you really need to burn disks? The player looks as though it can handle all of the typical files, just wonder whether it can do that via USB
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes it can play the files on USB my mate the problem is, i have loads of DVD'S and i was hoping i would not have to put them all on a hard drive to play them. The main reason of the post was why it locks up the player as this to me seems very strange?

Thanks
    Karma Level

it could just be a quirk of the player, have you checked for an update?

You mention using Xilisoft AVI to DVD Converter, you wont need to convert anything on a decent player, just burn em to a disk using imgburn.

If i was doing this, an external usb hdd would be my choice, works out cheaper than using dvds in the lost run too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the feed back gents, in reply to the above 909 the first thing i did when i got the box was update it lol but only because it told me to

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Am I right here. You've a load of copied DVDs you've converted yourself from AVI and it's those it's not happy with, yeah? Or are you just putting a raw AVI onto a disc? I can't work out what it is you're doing as you say you've a load of DVDs you don't want to put on a drive and say the machine doesn't like an AVI burned to disk, but then say you're using a AVI to DVD converter?

What are we taking here. A copied DVD from an AVI or an AVI on it's own.

Thanks
    Karma Level

are you burning the discs as data discs or as video? You may need to be burning them as data with you avi/divx/mkv etc files on it.

do the discs play ok on a computer?

As said before though your best option is an external hard drive, that way everything is there when you want it, no need for disc swapping etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok guys,

1)I have bought a new blue ray and a new tv and can play my movies via a USB Stick and also use my media center 1 tbite
    2) Before i bought these items, i had a HD DVD Player and i would convert my AVI files or XVID TO dvd and burn them to a blank disk for all of my family to watch, this i did for a number of years and i have stock piled quite a big selection of DVD movies on DVD Disks. The disks play perfectly on every dvd player within my family (Large) structure but will not play on my new one and that was my original point, i hope that clears up my original request lol i now feel like i am writing a book

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just one question to add... have you tried playing other dvd discs on the player to make sure it is not a fault with the player itself.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes it plays original disks perfectly my mate, tried a few before i made the post.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if theres no update for the hardware and the copied disks just wont work, I cant see what else you can do. Give the old dvds to family members and re download the films you want in avi and keep them in avi.

I can never work out why people buy HDTVs, Bluray players and fuck knows what else and then download shitty xvids to play on them, but each to their own.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you brought it recently why not just take it back to the store and get it changed or contact lg about the problem, it may be a fault they are aware of.

Like 909 says, just redownload the films you want. you dont need to worry about converting them to dvd because your player will play them, also if you go down this route you may want to get mkv files rather than divx, youll appreciate the quality a bit more

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks all, and yes, im already going down that route my tvx media player has a tbite hard drive so lots of room for MKV AND 1080P will use the blue ray for its internet streaming keeps her indoors happy coz she can browse that Face book shite on her telly, lol jobs a good un

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For what it's worth - I rarely download full DVDs, usually just the movie MKV but one of the kids wanted one yesterday. I've just got a new LG home theatre bluray player so thought there might be problems after hearing about yours, but it was fine. That said, it was a bunch of VOBs and not an AVI conversion. Upshot was though it had no problems playing burnt DVDs. It's been a long time since I've come across a player that has spat copies out. Even the kids £20 player in their room plays copies and AVIs. It's not uncommon for a unit to be faulty - if you read over the LG products on AVForums you'll see a few have had to return them. Why not contact their support? Or, grab a hold of ConvertXtoDVD (trial version is free) and see if a converted AVI runs on the player with that first. It might just be a quirk with Xillisoft and that particular player.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

And just saw this - dunno if related (or if anyone even cares at this stage).
    From a post on NZBMatrix.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know why I can't stream this via DLNA/TV Mobili to my TV?

Both this and the first episode - they're the only files from dozens that can't be streamed (it actually turns the TV off!)

Thanks!
    darkew (VIP) at 2011-06-28 03:11:12
    @ darkew

Is your TV a LG?

For some reason, the way Falling Skies is encoded causes the LG media player found in LG TVs and BluRay players to turn off. I've streamed countless videos and Falling Skies is the first ever to cause this problem.

Another user noted this issue in the 1x01 comment thread and I am experiencing the same problem.
    It's the specific mention of encoding that grabbed my interest, and maybe why it might be worth a go trying another piece of software.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok guys problem number 2 for this Model No LG HX906PA blue ray player, when connected to the internet i cant for the life of me find the actual browser facility it only seems to allow the lg presets. I have access to BBC IPlayer and U-Tube but no Face book or Twitter, the 2 things her indoors uses? The search button at the bottom of the screen of what i thought would be a browser does nothing, it just says Comming? without a browser like Google i am completely lost i have messaged LG but had no reply so i am hoping you Tech wizz kids can help me out.

Regards.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think you get full Internet access, just the lg presets they choose.
    When I tested one of their machines for them it only came with YouTube, flickr and one other Internet service, can't remember what it was.
    I don't think you'll have a full browser. Have you read anywhere that you get Facebook on it?

Thanks to theodotcom

Raff0 (4th July 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes mate, had a demo on the 6000(had it all) i think it was, but we got talked into this one because the tosser who sold us the media box said it had everything the 6000 had, he lied.When i went to have a quite word with him this weekend he blamed LG for lying to him lol i told him i would no longer be using his services (7 years with him and 4 tv sets) and would not recommend him to anyone else, he apologised and i left.
    I do think LG have a bit of a cheek saying there TV sets are smart when they don't even have a normal browser, what do you guys think ? lets start a poll and see if we can get this company moving with the times as the browser spy glass or search as they call it is there, it is just in-active and says SOON lol whatever that means.