Close

Thread: Acer 5315 bios

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Acer 5315 bios

Hi all , i have a acer 5315 from what i cant understand has recently undergone a bios upgrade through windows that has failed , on pushing the power button all i get is fans n lights for a couple of seconds , i had downloaded the latest bios from acer (1.45) put the image on a bootable cd , removed the battery , ran the laptop on dc and started the crisis mode alt +escape to find it still shutting down after a couple of seconds not the expected 2-3 minutes , does anybody have any advice on what im missing any help appreciated big3

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Acer 5315 bios

Do you know what BIOS it is mate? Different BIOS has different disaster recovery. Could be phoenix, insyde or another type. Clearing the CMOS might help but I am not sure where the jumper pads are on that model.

EDIT:

After brief research:
    One of my client had the same issue. To reset the CMOS battery on a Acer 5315 is to short out the CMOS battery on boot up by using a screwdriver on both leads of the battery. This will not harm the laptop.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently the jumper pads are beneath the ram slots that i cant find , ive tried shorting the cmos at the battery with no joy, and i dont know what bios is loaded , but the owner says it said pheonix on start up , but im convinced its insyde should i strip it and look for the bios chip and take it from there?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ive dowloded this file called ICL50HW.fd its the insyde bios , can any1 comfirm this is the required file , its the icl50 m/b if this sheds some light any help appreciated big3

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Undocumented INSYDE BIOS recovery method.-Use andy's tool to obtain possible names.
    Hi guys,
    After bricking my acer 7720g notebook, i found an easy bios recovery method for my notebook,
    Theese worked for my acer 7720g notebook
    i used flash drive but it can work with cd or dvd
    download the bios files from acer site, unpack them (right click extract with winrar)
    Rename the bios file xxxxxx.fd to ICL50.fd or ICL50HW.fd (do not touch the extension) PLEASE CONFIRM WHICH FILE IS CORRECT. THIS WILL HELP FOR OTHER USERS. Use andy's tool to obtain the right name for your recovery.
    Copy the file to usb fdd,or usb flash stick. DO NOT MAKE anything etc. ONLY COPY
    Remove battery, adapter (power cord) , mouse etc.
    Attach usb fdd, or usb flash stick
    Hold down <Fn> + <Esc>, Edit by Yen: At other Notebooks it's <windows> key + <B>
    Plug the Ac Power adapter, wait about 3-5 secs
    Press the power button
    Now release the buttons.
    It took about 2-3 minutes and notebook powered down itself.......
    Then plug in the battery simply power it on.
    That’s all. Now normal screen appears and acer is alive
    Pls. say it works for u or not

To obtain the right name for your recovery, get andy's tool and open your bios with it. It'll pop up an info window with the right filename for recovery: EFI uses different names for the recovery file.
    http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...ell-EFI-BIOSes

Source

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would also suggest using a USB Floppy drive for this.

Some laptops do not recognise USB Keys or CD Drives before POST.

They do however, recognise Floppy drives for this exact purpose. You can usually pick them up from eBay for next nothing.
    BIOS Recovery is a nerve racking experience, but you have nothing to lose. Acer would tell you to replace your motherboard as they do not want the agro of recovering it.
    I have done a few BIOS Recovery's before and it's an excellent feeling once you bring it back from the dead.

As evilsatan said, it's a combination of key presses to invoke the BIOS Recovery procedure on switch on - which is most definitely - not documented. The laptop manufacturers want you to buy a new one. It WILL take you a few attempts and even feel like your not getting anywhere. But keep at it and it WILL work so long as you using the right procedure.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the reply , have dowloaded the identical size and named file as above , loaded it onto a formatted 2g stick , enabled crisis mode, which is remove battery and ac power , hold down power button to drain and residual charge ,hold down fn+esc apply the ac power only then power on ) , now the fans spin up as mentioned but my usb doesnt appear to be doing anythin (no blinkin led) ive tried other slots too , do you think the board is dead ?? ive tried several times now with no luck , just as a thought i changed the ram also still the same , 1 question shoud the processor light be on as mine isnt during crisis recovery as i cant find the answer anywere?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    It WILL take you a few attempts and even feel like your not getting anywhere. But keep at it and it WILL work so long as you using the right procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by big3card View Post
    do you think the board is dead ??
    This procedure can be done JUST with the board on it's own. It does not need RAM or CPU even. It's loading the BIOS to the chip, which happens before the Chip/RAM even gets recognised.
    My first BIOS Recovery took 3 days to work out. But it is to do with the timing for holding the buttons down, plugging in and the letting go.

If it does not do anything after 5 attempts. You should use a USB Floppy Drive. (Ebay £8 Delivered for HP One)

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If it was a failed BIOS update then the board shouldn't be 'dead' per se, it just doesn't know what to do when it is provided with power. The recovery procedure should be a failsafe to invoke a BIOS update (even with a screwed BIOS) before anything else. I have never had to perform one so unfortunately can only provide you with the procedure instructions I found on your behalf on mydigitallife.info.

As Dejavu has said you might need to try from a floppy as not all BIOS is compatible with USB flash drives, you could try it off of a CD before you buy a USB floppy drive. There is no guarantee that a USB floppy drive will work or even if the procedure you are following is compatible with your board. Try the alternative keys (Windows key + B) and follow the guide I posted as closely as possible.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This was my first attempt at trying to solve this BIOS Recovery business - I was struggling with a Phoenix Bios (which is almost the same as Insyde BTW).

Got sooooo desperate and not much documented information, I made a crap video to see if anyone can help sort it. Makes me giggle looking back on it now! Popular name though - 262 views.
    I did solve it in the end, just persistence. It's just bloody awkward.

(Excuse the strong Essex accent - I cant stand my voice either!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8T0Y309g9w

Thanks
    Karma Level

@DejaVu, i really hope your video, once i'll be able to see the url, will help me to rescue my acer aspire 5315

i did get the bios update file on acer support website (1.45), as soon as executed it failed with "verification error message", the computer was still alive : wifi led blinking and even some windows notifications were displayed. But all the inputs(touchpad&keyboard) were inoperative. Power button was inoperative too :/ i waited for half an hour and then removed the power cord and the battery.

Now the laptop refuse to switch on and the power leds are blind (
    No way to get any sign of activity while playing with power cord, power button and fn+esc keys ...

it's a shame for acer to still offer this dangerous file on their website many year after stopping to build this computer

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by deadacer View Post
    @DejaVu, i really hope your video, once i'll be able to see the url, will help me to rescue my acer aspire 5315

i did get the bios update file on acer support website (1.45), as soon as executed it failed with "verification error message", the computer was still alive : wifi led blinking and even some windows notifications were displayed. But all the inputs(touchpad&keyboard) were inoperative. Power button was inoperative too :/ i waited for half an hour and then removed the power cord and the battery.

Now the laptop refuse to switch on and the power leds are blind (
    No way to get any sign of activity while playing with power cord, power button and fn+esc keys ...

it's a shame for acer to still offer this dangerous file on their website many year after stopping to build this computer
    Even more of a shame that you have chosen to answer a three year old thread, we know your game you naughty cheese eating surrender Monkey.....
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you really think a three year old solution is no more valid and that a new thread should be reopened while forgetting previous informations, then please delete my account

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by deadacer View Post
    if you really think a three year old solution is no more valid and that a new thread should be reopened while forgetting previous informations, then please delete my account
    We would prefer to have new Threads created with your symptoms, with maybe a reference to the older threads instead of explaining 'I'm having the exact same problem'.
    The reason for this is to keep the forum more organised and easier for the staff to manage as well as members in the future being able to search the forum for more solutions to similar problems.
    If multiple answers are all in the same thread, it becomes messy and difficult to look for the correct answer... check out the XDA-Dev's ROM threads for example!

DF is more of a community than a quick fire round of Q&A's, as we are all middle aged geeks, wallowing in our own faeces (in the words of the late 'JulianTL'). We've been active on this forum for over 10 years and enjoy discussing hundreds of different topics with each other, daily!

In answer to your original request, my video will not help you in anyway if you plan on trying to recover the BIOS on this Acer.
    Turns out, this video has just gotten quite popular on YouTube due to the 'hardly unique' name it's uploaded with. It's just guessing at what to do with the Laptop and asking others for help.

The thing you REALLY need is a USB Floppy drive and 1.44Mb Diskette with the Laptops 'Original' BIOS on it and try to force a recovery using the procedures on MyDigitalLife's website.

Google "mydigitallife Bios Recovery".
    Hope that helps.

Welcome Deadacer <- very apt!
    Now I have helped you out with your issue - the 'please delete my account' seems to me your only here for one thing and is a shame that you could end up as an information seeker instead of an information provider.