Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Newbie America for a week in September

Me and two friends are looking to get away in America for a bit of sun and fun in the first week of September.

At the moment were really stuck for ideas and having problems with prices. Our original plan was Miami for a week to catch the sun, but it's looking like we'd rather rent a car and spend the time split over Miami and somewhere else, or even a few places.

Anyone have any suggestions for areas within a reasonable drive of Miami, maybe more of a city area or somewhere we can explore, whether it be city life or the mountains? We'd like to have a bit of fun drinking and getting to know some of the locals and meeting some new people.

Flights are all around £450 return, and I'm struggling to find anything cheaper (although 450 isn't the end of the world), my next though was accommodation, would we be better off exploring and finding hotels to stay on the day, or trying to book everything before and keeping to a schedule (not sure if I'd want to tie myself down to dates if we were going to a few places). And any idea of what we'd be expecting in price? (Clean and safe is probably the only two requirements).

Cheers for any advice, havn't been stateside for about 7 years, when I was too young to drink and tagged along with the parents!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: America for a week in September

You can drive up to Orlando and not need to book anything,

There are hundreds of hotels on the highway, all different prices and standards.

If you want my honest advice, get away from Miami as fast as you can. Its overrated, dirty, and just plane horrible.

There are some very nice places up the coast for you to visit.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

Fon

Thanks to Fon

Erad (6th July 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am going next year / have it booked for late April early May for a few weeks - flying out to Chicago, renting a car out and driving west over to LA on route 66 with a fair few stop offs - going Roswell stopping a night at grand canyon, couple in Las Vegas, few in LA + a load more - can't wait

Thanks to prezzy

Erad (6th July 2011)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive been visiting the state of Florida at least once a year now since '96, and as Fon says, Miami isnt the most pleasant place in the world, and wouldnt be on my holiday plans.
    How about the normal (and cheaper) central base of Orlando, and do a couple of days there, and a couple of days at each coast....Daytona/Cocoa over on the east, and St Pete's/Clearwater over on the west. I know in Orlando you have little chance of meeting locals etc, but away from there, when you hit the beach bars and family run motels it will be better. You could also for example visit the Daytona speedway and do the Nascar experience, and maybe visit Tampa or Jacksonville and take in a football game....the tailgate experience outside the ground on gameday is superb.
    Last edited by tronads; 6th July 2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: keyboard retard

Thanks to tronads

Erad (6th July 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I personally like the idea of steering away from Miami now, I've heard the same from a lot of people and I'm trying to convince the others.

I think that the Orlando idea sounds good, especially going to Clearwater, Daytona and Tampa etc. I was looking at taking in a bit more of a city as well, somewhere like Chicago or Boston, but I feel like the distance is too far from say Boston to with a beach and nice weather, especially in September, any ideas, possibly flights?

Starting to think that a week isn't enough and would be spending that week driving around for the things I want to do!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Miami is good. There is a rough area, but South Beach is pleasant enough, and there is a good nightlife and a nice beach.

If you are going to drive you aren't going to get very far, especially in a week. Orlando is nice enough, but apart from Touristy bits, there isn't really much to do. Depends what you want. I have been to Clearwater and Daytona, and while nice during the day, there isn't a hell of a lot to do at night for a group of lads.

I spent a month in the US and landed in New York, flew down to Miami and then drove to Orlando. From there I flew to SanFrancisco and then drove to LA and then drove on to Las Vegas.

If I was to recommend any of it... I'd say fly to Frisco, spend a few days. It is my favourite city in the USA by far. Then explore LA for a bit and then pop to LV. They are all pretty different and within close enough driving proximity of each other. The drive from Frisco to LA took us 9 hours, although we drove down route 1. Which I would recommend as it is a coastal drive and beautiful scenary. I believe you can get there in under 5 hours if you take route 5, but it is motorway driving with motorway scenary.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fly to San Franscisco spend a couple of days there then drive down route 1 (Amazing road) through all the surf towns via LA then through to San Diego on the border to mexico.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When I retire, and the kids have left home etc, and I have some money maybe, I plan to do the Route 66 drive. Inspired from a Jeremy Clarkson special I watched years ago that I have never seen repeated, the mix of cities and old historic towns, random motels etc, looks like great fun.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have always wanted to do Route 66. Its on my bucket list