Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Can Windows 8 Kill XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Posted on Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips
    A good point was made by Ed Bott of ZDNet when he wrote a post that said that businesses were going to use Windows 8 as an excuse to get Windows 7. Sounds like crazy logic, but it makes sense. Businesses are not on the forefront of the technology revolution. They like to play it safe. Right now XP is safe. *Windows 7 is not. Next year, presumably in April when Windows 8 is released, it will make Windows 7 safe. Windows 8 will be looked upon as cutting edge technology, but untested.

With the majority of businesses still using XP the growth towards Windows 7 will intensify into acceptance. The result is inevitable. XP and Vista should breathe their last sometime in 2012.
    The Economy and The Cloud
    That said, the big IF is whether the US economy will improve enough to give businesses sufficient confidence that they can spend money. With the real estate market in the doldrums, jobs moving overseas, inflation, and high debt, businesses are worried that spending too much money may in fact kill their chances of profitability, if not the business itself. So one big issue is whether or not the economy will rebound.
    Another issue that is starting to manifest itself, which was not a player when Windows 7 was released, is the Cloud. This allows software and hardware upgrades to be less important, because a company can lease the latest software and hardware from a Microsoft Data Center and make the transition to the most current technology. With Windows 8 coming, it may even supplant the Windows 7 element. All that Microsoft has to do is show that the legacy applications will run on Windows 8.
    There is also fact that Windows 8 may have many features currently seen today in tablets and mobile smart phones. So the view that the technology is untested may not applicable, which in turn will allow businesses to make the transition to the most current OS.
    April 2012
    The latest rumor about Windows 8 is that it will be available to manufacturers in April 2012. *By then the status of XP, Vista, and Windows 7 should be clear. The nature of the economy and the status of the Cloud should also be clear. XP and Vista should see the end of days. But even Windows 7 may be supplanted by Windows 8.
    Ed Bott, Can Windows 8 finally vanquish the ghosts of XP and Vista?, ZDNet

Can Windows 8 Kill XP, Vista, and Windows 7 is a post from Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips - The Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumours & Screenshots. Visit Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips for the Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumors, Tips, Themes, Wallpapers & Guides.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Can Windows 8 Kill XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Nope.. in fact from what I've seen of the interface i rekon it could/should go the same way as wm7.. I haven't seen anyone irl sporting a phone with that os.. interface just looks shit to me and you could probably recreate it easily on current versions of windows with a theme/skin.. but why bother.. it's shit..

is there any more info on 8 appart from the "skin" ?
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

From what I can tell, there isn't any major differences between Win7 and Win8 behind the "hood".

I think it might just be a bit of a stop gap OS, similar to how Vista was.

Vista IMO was a half hearted attempt of Win7.

It also seems like they don't really give to much of a shit about business users. I can't see companies using this new "interface" much. Due to costs, it's no surprise that most business users are still happy with XP, as it works and does all their client users need it to do.

Won't be long before Windows will be a home user only OS.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember noticing win7 made things easier if you didn't have a clue but harder if you knew what you were doing. This seems like much bigger leap in that direction.

Thanks to Over Carl

Possy_99 (18th July 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I remember noticing win7 made things easier if you didn't have a clue but harder if you knew what you were doing. This seems like much bigger leap in that direction.
    that pretty much sums up my win7 experiences, thats why I'm still on xp

I know I'll have to upgrade eventually though, XPs limits on ram are going to hit home when I get a 24mpix DSLR.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can get xp x64 - uses the same codebase as server 03 x64. I quite liked it except I seemed to find a glitch where program windows wouldn't restore properly to full size. Used to boot pretty quick as well. We used it at work for our cad pc's until autodesk recommended use of d3d 11 over opengl.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah I keep saying I'll try it and never do, will give it a go when it comes to install time.