This may be a Mac problem, but I suspect it is more general across platforms so I'll try here before resorting to the Apple thread.

Yesterday, I downloaded the weather.com browser Toolbar which, the site told me, was suitable for Firefox, Safari and a couple of other browsers. It made no mention of platform or version numbers save, with Safari, that it needed version 4 or later (I think). It made no mention of it requiring Windows and the dowload and install process certainly looked "Mac like" and did not require exe files, etc. Nor did it launch Parallels which it would have done if it had needed my virtual Windows 7 to be launched.

Whatever it said, I conformed to the version requirement.

When I downloaded and installed Toolbar, however, it reported that my version of Safari v5.1 (6534.50) did not allow installation of the Toolbar.

Maybe my maths is poor, but isn't 5.1 greater than 4.n?

I went to the weather.com FAQ and support pages and, after clicking furiously through a user hostile site, came to the final page which said that, if my question hadn't been answered, i could email them by clicking "one of the options below".

There were, of course, no options below so I cannot contact them.

Brilliant customer service there, Guys and Gals at weather.com!

Now, whenever I launch Safari, I get an irritating pop up which tells me that the Toolbar cannot be installed with this version of Safari.

Every bl**dy time!

i can find no uninstall option, I can find no application which might be trying to install the Toolbar every time nor can i find any add-on which may have partially installed.

There is nothing in the message that might indicate its source.

I have Cleared cache and Reset Safari - both to no avail.

The bl**dy pop-up continues -and yes, I have AdBlock, Pop-ups disabled and Flash disabled so I think I've covered all bases!

So, how can I get rid of this irritating message, where is it coming from and how can I contact weather.com?

Any help would be much appreciated before I put my fist through the screen!

It probably isn't relevant, but just in case: I'm running Safari v5.1 (6534.50) under MacOSX.6.8 Build 10K549 on a quad-core i7 27" iMac with 16GB RAM, fully up to date with all software updates that might be relevant to this problem.