Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Best accounts and filing cabinet software?

I am looking for some software where I can scan in all of my hardware/software receipts and file the receipt by client name. The idea is if a client calls up with a problem with hardware I have supplied I can quickly find where I bought the product from and check warranty status.

I am also looking for decent accounting software, I know Sage offer numerous packages. At the moment I am a sole trader with no employees so all I need to put into my accounts is my receipts, invoices I send to clients and running costs. This software would ideally help me fill in my tax returns or make it a simple process as well as keep tabs on how I am doing.

I have searched in google but there are so many bits of software to choose from, I though if I ask on here at least I will end up with decent software and not need to change later down the line.

I use Invoice2Go for iPhone and iPad to generate and store my invoices so if any software could connect to that it would be great but I guess not many can do this.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best accounts and filing cabinet software?

I use a combination of CommitCRM and Quickbooks Pro.
    Commit is a CRM package designed for the IT service industry and it has made me so much more efficient in running my business.

My basic workflow goes like this:

Customer calls or emails. Check Commit to see if they have an account if not create one (Name, Address, Phone numbers etc.)
    Create ticket(job) for customer and and if needed schedule appointment.
    Add notes to ticket and upon job completion add resolution and charges. (if any hardware supplied add this as an asset including purchase details and warranty etc.)
    Use Commits send to Quickbooks for Invoicing option. (This adds the client to Quickbooks if needed and then creates an invoice.)

All of this information stays on the customer account so you can easily check back on jobs to see what has been done or what hardware was supplied etc. You can add attachments and notes to records also and you can set up service contracts. You can also create a knowledgebase.

On top of that I then use Quickbooks for recording all of my stock purchases and expenses. At the end of the year you can create reports in Quickbooks that should make filling in your Tax Return a lot easier.

This is not a cheap option but I have been trying different bits of software since I went self employed in 2006 and I just found that the cheaper options didn't flow right for me. You can get trials of both Commit and Quickbooks to try before you buy.

PC Repair Tracker is also worth a look if you want a cheaper option.

If you join ACRBO you will find discounts for both CommittCRM and PC Repair Tracker.

Hope this helps

Thanks to x_Mr_C_x

evilsatan (8th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

A simple and easy to use accounting software is VT transaction.

This can generate invoices which can be viewed easily at a later date from the sales ledger.

Entry of expense invoices etc is simple and if you are VAT registered it can generate a VAT return too.

The software comes with a plug-in for excel which generates an accounts template and arranges the figures in the same format as a tax return.

The website offers a free 60 day trial so you have a play around with it

http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/

Thanks to andmor

evilsatan (8th August 2011)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the replies! I will be looking into all solutions recommended. That PC Repair Tracker looks very interesting but I will have to demo it to see if it would work for me.