Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Windows 8 To Ditch DVD Support?

Posted on Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips
    Following Apple’s recent decision to phase out DVD drives in its PCs, it seems that Microsoft is planning on following suit with Windows 8. *DVD playback is built into Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate, thanks to a deal between Dolby and Microsoft.
    However, on a recent earnings call Dolby Chief Financial Officer revealed that no such deal will be in place for Windows 8:
    We work with operating system providers, ISVs and OEMs to support DVD on the PC. In recent years, our mix of PC licensing revenue has increasingly shifted towards the operating system as our technologies are included in 4 editions of Windows 7. However, we have recently learned that our technologies are not currently included in the Windows 8 operating system under development. If our technologies are not included in the commercial version of Windows 8, we expect to support DVD playback functionality by increasingly licensing our technologies directly to OEMs and ISVs, and we will seek to extend our technologies to further support online content playback.

Whether this will lead to PC manufacturers doing deals with Dolby remains to be seen. *By making this decision, it is possible that Microsoft are betting that most Windows 8 users won’t want or need a DVD drive in their shiny new Windows 8 PC.
    I most certainly won’t miss having a DVD drive as I rarely use one. *None of my PCs have a DVD drive installed, although I have a portable DVD drive I keep in a cupboard that I take out maybe once every 3 months. *Last week my wife bought a CD for the first time in years, and it was quite comical trying to remember how to remove the copy protection to make a copy as it had been so long.
    Will you miss having a DVD drive in Windows 8? *What do you think will be Windows 8 Min Spec?
    Source: All About Microsoft
    Windows 8 To Ditch DVD Support? is a post from Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips - The Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumours & Screenshots. Visit Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips for the Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumors, Tips, Themes, Wallpapers & Guides.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Windows 8 To Ditch DVD Support?

i think this is a good idea, people are streaming and downloading more than ever
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how would i install a retail dvd game on a win 8 system? or my back cat of games. all gamers willn stick with win 7 if this was true

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It says no DVD, not no optical drive...presumably Bluray will be the standard for Windows 8 and beyond.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't see it happening to be honest, could be wrong though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL, what a bunch of donuts!

They are purely talking about the DVD movie codec will not be imbedded in the W8 OS... not the fact that DVD drives won't work!

Its no great issue... download VLC, fixed!

Thanks to MsDG

d3xt0r (17th August 2011)