Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Proxi / VPN software

As some of you may know, I am in China for a while and as such I am stuck behind 'the great firewall', I have googled as much as it allows on this and it seems that China has clamped down on all ways for defeat the great firewall apart from a few paid for VPN software routes. All the info I can find is based upon accessing facebook, which I would like but I wouldn't pay for that alone, ideally I want the net just like it is in England.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? The ones I can find are subscription based, some at around $8 per month, others yearly at slightly less.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Proxi / VPN software

I've tried getting bbc iplayer here in Japan for a few years now (using free proxies) and it is very hit and miss. Sometimes you can be lucky, get a nice fast connection and everything works quickly; other times you can be messing around for hours just to get something stable.

If you want constant performance, you're going to have to pay (very much like newsgroups I suppose) Before you sign up for anything. I'd get your misses to have a look around the chinese sites and see what they are using over there. I would also suggest only going for a month by month or at maximum half year package, because you don't know what they will do to the 'great wall' until it is to late.

At a guess, I suspect many Chinese would go via a HK proxy. (The wall's operation there isn't the same as on the main land)

Thanks to Thrush

{{909}} (23rd August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Look up Tor - apparently this lets Chinese get round the great firewall. However I can't say if doing a lot of reading on this will get a knock on your door.

Thanks to Over Carl

{{909}} (23rd August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

the website for tor is blocked dunno if getting an offsite download would work.

I managed to chat to on one of the customer service chaps on the site for a paid VPN client and he confirmed I would receive the same internet I had in the UK, as they route me through the UK to ensure I can get iplayer and so on. I will look into it more once I have my apartment sorted, as far as i can tell the cheaper services only let you log in from one location.