Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Any call for an easy & quick, idot-proof guide to XBMC and SABnzbd etc, etc?

I have recently found a very easy way to get XBMC onto my ACER REVO, with SABnzbd, Sickbeard and Couchpotato, all working as well, with very little input from the user.

Basically I am using OpenELEC with SABnzbd-suite, and everything is running well.

Just wondering if there was any interest in me putting up a tutorial for it?

Thanks to adeingolf

emu (9th September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any call for an easy & quick, idot-proof guide to XBMC and SABnzbd etc, etc?

I've just moved house and am going to be setting this up in the living room over the coming weeks so would be interested to get some ideas.
    LEEDS AND PROUD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any call for an easy & quick, idot-proof guide to XBMC and SABnzbd etc, etc?

Is it any better than DejaVu's tutorials already posted on here? - if so whack it up - in fact post it anyway - can never have too much info - might be good things in both of them

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldnt say its better than Deja Vu's - indeed I used his a lot when I used XBMClive, but I do think its a lot quicker and easier, with a complete guide to Sabnzbd for new users.

Will post it up shortly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The purpose of this tutorial, is to enable even the most "inexperienced" Linux/XBMC/PC user, to set-up an XBMC machine using OpenELEC - a very small, fast booting Linux distribution, with the additional features of "SABnzbd-Suite".

Configured correctly, XBMC will then automatically download your choice of Movies and TV Shows, move them to your preferred storage location and update your XBMC library.

This makes it extremely easy, with a lot of the pre-configuring done for you, and you should be up and running with a working media centre very quickly.

OpenELEC is put on your XBMC machine much like XBMCLive, so you will need a USB/SD memory device, a PC to make the bootable files, and the correct OpenELEC build for your XBMC machine.
    OpenELEC have builds for many devices, including ION, Intel, AppleTV and a Generic build, suitable for most forms of available hardware. More info can be found here - http://www.openelec.tv/get-openelec/which-build

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE - SABnzbd-suite is not yet implemented in the current RC build (RC5), and so we will be using a development (or nightly) build of OpenELEC, that utilises the SABnzbd-suite options. The development builds can be found here - http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/

STEP 1 - Make the Bootable USB stick (using an ordinary windows PC)

After downloading the relevant OpenELEC build, (im using an ACER REVO, and so am using "OpenELEC-ION.i386-devel-201108xxxxxxx-r7720.tar.bz2"), extract the files and double click "create_installstick.bat" and follow on screen instructions.
    For detailed info on this - http://openelec.tv/installation/install-1-windows

STEP 2 - Install XBMC on your HTPC

Insert USB stick and boot from it.
    Choose where you want to install OpenELEC - HDD, another USB stick, CF/SD Card etc.
    Once installed, remove USB stick and reboot.
    For detailed info on this - http://openelec.tv/installation/install-2
    Using quick install to REVO's HDD, it takes less than 10 seconds to install!
    If all has gone well, you should now have a fully functioning XBMC install that boots very quickly.

At this stage, if you already have a library of Movies and TV Shows, then it is worthwhile adding them to XBMC library now, BUT if you intend to use SABnzbd-suite also, then I cannot express how important it is, that you organise your library for both Movies and TV Shows first, ie get them into the suggested format for XBMC library.

STEP 3 - Installing SABnzbd-suite

It is installed as an add-on within XBMC, goto:-
    System > Add-ons > Get Add-ons > OpenELEC.tv repo > Services

Once installed, reboot XBMC and you will have SABnzbd, Sickbeard and Couchpotato running on HTPC.

SABnzbd can be accessed on another PC on network via http://(IP addess of your HTPC):8081
    Sickbeard via http://(IP address of your HTPC):8082
    Couchpotato via http://(IP address of your HTPC):8083

EG - my address is - http://192.168.0.179:8081

The idea is that you can now configure and run your HTPC from another PC.

STEP 4 - Configuring SABnzbd-suite

This section assumes you have a premium News Provider, and a VIP account for an NZB Search client (For API key)

In your browser type - http://(IP ADDRESS OF HTPC):8081

This should bring up the following :-

We need to configure SABnzbd+, go to the tab "Config" and then select the tab "Servers" (all other tabs are pre-configured for OpenELEC).

Fill in the requested info on this page, which is provided by your ISP or binaries provider. When filled in, you can test your settings with the "Test server" button. If everything is correct you'll get a message "Connection succesful". If your settings are correct, click "Enable", and save changes.

Go to the tab Categories, add a new category called "tv", under scripts, select SABtoSickbeard.py and save this. Also add a movies categorie, but don't set the script, Couchpotato deals with this.
    The Folder/Path, is where you want your finished and then moved downloaded TV Shows stored.

Thats it for Sabnzbd.

Step 5 - Configuring Couchpotato

In your browser type - http://(IP ADDRESS OF HTPC):8083

You should be presented with Couchpotato front page. Click on the "cog" symbol, then NZBs/Torrents

Fill in details so as they are as above. Then goto "Providers" tab.

Fill in your details here including API key from NZB search client. Then goto "Quality" tab.

Here you can set the minimum quality that Couchpotato will find for any given film. I have my own setting so that it will only download a film at a minimum quality of Blu-Ray Rip. If it does d/l a BR Rip, it will overwrite this with a 720p and/or 1080p version when they become available.

Next goto "Renaming" tab

The downloads folder is where Sabnzbd downloads files to, so is the same as on the Folders config in Sabnzbd.
    If you want to store movies somewhere else, then that location is put in "Movie Destination" From the example above, I store my Movies on a USB HDD attached to the REVO, called REVO EXT Drive, in a folder called Movies.

Next goto "Notifications" tab.

Ensure the first two boxes are checked and then we need to set the host for XBMC.

Now in XBMC, navigate to System -> Network -> Services and check the box "Allow control of XBMC via HTTP"
    Set port to 8085
    Username to XBMC
    Password - blank
    Now you should receive pop up notifications in XBMC, whenever a movie is "snatched" and started downloading etc.
    Try clicking on "Send a message to XBMC, see if it works. - You should get a pop up on your XBMC screen.

Next goto "Userscript" tab.

On this tab, installing the Google Chrome script, will allow you to add movies to the wanted section, which Couchpotato will then send to Sabnzbd when they are available. Obviously you need to be using Google Chrome browser!
    Sites that the script work on include - www.IMDB.com www.trakt.tv www.sharethe.tv

To add movies to be downloaded, simply goto one of the above sites and click on a movie. The "add to Couchpotato" pop up will appear, and allow you to select the quality for the download.

You can also type in the movie name in Couchpotato's search box.

STEP 6 - Configuring Sickbeard

In your browser type - http://(IP ADDRESS OF HTPC):8082

For configuration, go to the tab "Config - Search settings" and check if everything is filled in as the screen below:

Make sure you have added at "SABnzbd Category" the term "tv" and hit "Save changes". Now go to the tab "Config - Search providers" and select NZB providers that you have an accounts for. Fill in the required info for those sites in the menu below "Configure Built-In Providers" and select the correct provider by selecting it in the pull-down menu. Hit "Save changes"

Next is Post Processing :-

Then Notifications :-

Check the boxes you want, insert the XBMC port number and then click "Test XBMC" - you should get a notification in XBMC.

Adding Shows to Sickbeard.

Now click on "Home". Click the tab "Add show", and the following screen will appear:

Click on "Add new show". You'll now get a 3 parts add-menu.

Fill in the name of the series you would like to have. Note that series that aren't released yet can be added too - Sickbeard will then download them when they become available. Now click on "Search", select the correct series and press the button "next".

Check the download location and make it default. Series will be stored in their own folder, and if you select the "separate seasons" option in the following screen, the seasons will also be separated in different folders. Once you've finished, press the button "next".

Set these options as you wish - I set initial status as skipped so that I can go and choose which older episodes I want. All new episodes will be downloaded automatically. If you now save defaults, each time you add a new show, you can just add it straight away.

Once a TV Show is in Sickbeard, any new episode will be downloaded automatically.

4 Thanks given to adeingolf

blaggard (9th September 2011),  copey123 (26th August 2011),  drdude (28th December 2011),  ThE gOg (22nd December 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

great guide mate.

i have a slightly different probably noob question, say you have all this data movies, tv shows etc on the drive in your htpc running openelec/live and you want to get them off there apart from the file explorer thats within xbmc, can you access the files any other way?

i'e can you access the folders via a windows client on the same network? also is it possible to hook up an external hd to the htpc and get stuff off that way?

reason i ask is i've just got an emachines 1401 that i want to use with live/openelec but i also will need it to be a download box too, i'll be using it whilst away from home during the week, but will probably want to drag some of the files off to take home.
    :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep you certainly can.

I have a 1TB USB HDD connected to my Revo, where I send downloads too.

The USB HDD and all folders on htpc can be seen from another windows machine through the network and you can move the files across the network.

Also, although sabnzb, couch potato and sickbeard are stored and run on HTPC, they are all controlled via a windows machine on network.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i setup my er1401 with xbmc on an sd card and dual boot with windows 7

that way best of both worlds

missus pops the sd card in when she wants to boot straight into xbmc

Thanks
    Karma Level

cool cheers for the reply mate.

i understand how sab and all the rest work via the browser etc i have them running on my unraid server at home.

whats confusing me is how do you actually access the ones on the htpc from your windows machines?

eg i have my shares on the server in my network places by adding them via say \\tower\videos etc. how do you get to the ones on live/openelec to drag them off, or drop folders on to your external drive?

i'm probably over thinking this tbh i usually do:-/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    i setup my er1401 with xbmc on an sd card and dual boot with windows 7

that way best of both worlds

missus pops the sd card in when she wants to boot straight into xbmc
    i had considered doing this too mate, how do you find it performance wise? i installed to a usb ages ago and found it to be very sluggish.

can you then access the files on the harddrive to run on xbmc? can you navigate through the folders etc on the c: drive when in xbmc?

edit: also how does win 7 run with just the 2gb of ram?
    Last edited by ThE gOg; 22nd December 2011 at 10:57 PM.