Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Microsoft Showcases New Windows Explorer With Ribbon UI

Posted on Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips
    We already know that Microsoft is working on improving the file management capabilities of the Windows 8 operating system. Back when we published the story we suspected that Microsoft would improve other core areas of the operating system as well. Today, Alex Simons posted a large, and I mean very very large, article on the Building Windows 8 blog that demonstrates how the new Windows Explorer will look like in Windows 8.
    Microsoft engineers basically took a look at how Windows Explorer is used under Windows 7 to come up with a streamlined version of the program that will improve the workflow for the majority of users. In particular, the goals where the optimize the program for file management tasks, to create a streamlined command experience and to respect Explorer’s heritage.
    After evaluating several user interface concepts, Microsoft made the decision to go with a ribbon style UI that many Windows users are already familiar with. The interface is not without criticism though, and it will be interesting to see how users react to the new layout of Windows Explorer. Lets take a look at one of the screenshots that Alex posted in the announcement.

You see the ribbon interface at the top. It is only natural that the interface takes up more screen estate with the possibility to minimize it with a click on the minimize button.
    The most common commands are displayed as buttons in the interface, from copying and pasting information and files to deleting and renaming them. Microsoft has created a screenshot that demonstrates how often select commands are used in Windows Explorer.

Paste is the most used command with 19% of all activities in Windows Explorer followed by Copy and Properties with 11% each, Delete with 10% and Rename with 8%.
    The tabbed design means on the other hand that some elements are only accessible after switching tabs.
    The share tab lists sharing options that include zipping, emailing or printing files.

The View tab lists all common view modes settings, for instance to hide or display the preview pane, change the file listing mode or hide or display columns in the listing.

Some of those features are not as easily accessible anymore as before, which includes the ability to change the view mode of a folder.
    Depending on the folder, other tabs may be displayed. This includes a Library Tools, Picture Tools or Disk Tools tab. It will be interesting to see how users get along with the Disk Tools tab for instance when they open computer, as it allows them to format, cleanup or optimize a drive.
    Windows Explorer under Windows 8 displays more visible files and folders than Explorer on Windows 7. This is mainly due to the minimalistic status bar. Microsoft has furthermore changed the font to a more readable one judging from the screenshots.
    Here is a video that announces the new Windows Explorer.

You can read the whole announcement over at the Building Windows 8 blog.
    Microsoft Showcases New Windows Explorer With Ribbon UI is a post from Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips - The Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumours & Screenshots. Visit Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips for the Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumors, Tips, Themes, Wallpapers & Guides.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Microsoft Showcases New Windows Explorer With Ribbon UI

Ooooooohhhhh fuck!

Not more ribbon menus. I wished they would stop painting over the fact that not much has changed since the last version by just fucking around with all the menu's so you can't find shit anymore!

Thanks to MsDG

Possy_99 (30th August 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah, i feel another Millennium Edition style os heading our way.. Keep your fancy graphics and 'intuative' UI - they've been nothing short of a nightmare since vista/2007! The main thing I hate about vista/7 though is file management.

in xp I always used to use explore instead of open on my computer icon, you could have a nice tree view on the left so you knew exactly where you were and switching folders or drives was pretty stright forward.. now I have to have two or three seperate explorer windows open to get the same job done with vista/7.

m$ have been trying to push out unnecessary crap for a while now.. the ribbon UI is what has made me stick with office 2003 - hell, I doubt I even use 10% of offices' potential anyways, all I need to do is write the occasional letter and maybe do the odd spreadsheet.. so do I really need to update.. i think not.

And m$' recent advertising campaign annoys me too, oooh.. my mum's pc/laptop of more than 4 years old.. Oi, M$!.. NNOOOO!!.. just because it's >4 years old doesn't automatically mean it need replaced! If it serves it's purpose and gets her on facebook then why the fuck would I want to spend £300+ for a new computer to run all that extra shite you say she needs when infact it's just going to complicate my life as I'll have to show her (and probably many others) how to get round your shitty UI.

:END rant
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

xp4life bro