Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HTPC - revo 3700

Quote Originally Posted by adeingolf View Post
    Honestly, the easiest way would be to put XBMC, sabnzb, couchpotato and sickbeard all on the Revo, and media on an external drive as you are suggesting.

http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...ABnzbd-etc-etc

Is an easy way to put OpenElec version of XBMC and Sabnzbd+ suite (includes Sickbeard + Couchpotato) on the Revo, and just control everything from your laptop.
    Unless your a complete tard I'd say the easiest way is to install Ubuntu (20mins tops).
    Add XBMC repo (30 seconds)
    Install XBMC from repo, install Sabnzbd from repo.
    Whole setup should take no more than 30 mins.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by adeingolf View Post
    Honestly, the easiest way would be to put XBMC, sabnzb, couchpotato and sickbeard all on the Revo, and media on an external drive as you are suggesting.

http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...ABnzbd-etc-etc

Is an easy way to put OpenElec version of XBMC and Sabnzbd+ suite (includes Sickbeard + Couchpotato) on the Revo, and just control everything from your laptop.
    Id be using the onboard wireless to connect to my network for the downloading - is there any twaks required to get it working under openelec?
    Also, would I need to 'mount' the hdd so that sickbeard etc can see it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tombott View Post
    Unless your a complete tard I'd say the easiest way is to install Ubuntu (20mins tops).
    Add XBMC repo (30 seconds)
    Install XBMC from repo, install Sabnzbd from repo.
    Whole setup should take no more than 30 mins.
    I guess its "horses for courses", but what about Couchpotato and Sickbeard? - OpenElec takes about 10 secs to install, Sabnzb suite same and very little to setup. IMO perfect if you "just" want to use as media player....

I have revo wired to router, so have no experience of wireless, but it shouldnt be a problem as wirless is supposed to work "out of the box"

And external HDD should just be seen from XBMC and Sabnzb from the outset.
    Last edited by adeingolf; 15th September 2011 at 04:43 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would get a mains powered external if I were you, higher rpm and more stable performance not to mention cheaper.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've tried Ubuntu on the Revo but as its my only PC in the house I needed to have Windows 7 on it. I use MAME on my Revo and it works brilliantly with a PS3 pad, good fun to be had £500 budget you should be able to get a decent NAS as well as a REVO?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I must admit I am considering building an NAS, however im not sure how well homeplugs would perfom in my house as upstairs and downstairs use different swicthes on the electricity box. I just wish there was a decent tutorial on how to build a decent NAS and put sab etc on it. Most of the NAS builds suggested on xbmc forums don't seem to have enough power for sab etc, which would then mean having the revo plus the NAS on 24/7 whereas I'd rather just have the NAS on doing the downloding etc then startup the revo as and when required. Also would leaving an external mains powered drive plugged on all the time be ok?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by callumz View Post
    Also would leaving an external mains powered drive plugged on all the time be ok?
    I've had a USB mains powered drive in my old R3600 and also in my R3700 just rammed behind the TV without much ventilation and it works perfectly.

You could probably stretch to a QNAP NAS which will run Sab and Sickbeard (i think sickbeard) on the NAS. They come highly recomended on here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would these 2 homeplugs work together, put the first one downstairs then the server + revo could go into the other one upstairs because it has 3 LAN ports:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/newli...or-single-pack

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/newli...its-encryption

As for the external harddrive if I go down that route would one like the following be any good:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-s...d-drive-retail

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

External drives can be left on as most will spin down when left idle for x amount of time. That Samsung one is supposed to be a good one.

This powerline kit should do the trick as it includes a switch, it is not clear if that is all you need but as it's called a starter kit it should have a plug for the router end and the switch should be for the other end:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/d-lin...or-starter-kit

Thanks
    Karma Level

all the electrics are on the same box, but there is different 'trip switches' for the likes of upstairs lights,downstairs lights etc. will the homeplugs operate ok, the one you suggested looks great for that price!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

From my experience you need to test a homeplug to see if it will work. I have a few clients with offices at the end of their gardens where homeplugs work but can occasionally disconnect. I have another client who had an extension and no signal would reach there through the mains, possibly because it had to go though a fusebox.

As I said, check that kit comes with all you need but D-Link are a good brand so even if you have to purchase an additional plug that might be worth it. You can get wireless AP homeplugs from company's like Billion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It says in the description that it has a 1 socket plug for the router end. If it didn't work would it be possible to return the item or would I have wasted 50 pounds?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Distant selling regulations, you can return within 7 days if unopened but in reality make sure it is pristine and you can package it back up properly to return.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If i decided to put win 7 onto the revo would i be able to install it off the usb external harddrive or would i need to purchase an 8gb usb stick because the largest stick i have the now is 1gb? Also could you recommend a wireless keyboard and mouse, for xbmc ill be using the app on my phone.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So you run the server 24/7 connected to your tv?
    What os do you run on the server?
    so the server downloads and also runs xbmc - to output the movies to the tv?
    Do you have a small hdd for the os and then other hdd for the media? and what is the noise like when viewing a movie?
    Would I have to connect it to my router via wired or could i go wireless, because wireless would be fine when downloading and as the movies are local it would be fine when playing back.
    Once again sorry for so many questions, you guys are so helpful!
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I have the os installed on the 250 gig free drive it comes with. XBMC is on it too and outputs to the TV via HDMI but I access the whole lot through my TV or via TeamViewer on my laptop. The server is silent as a mouse and runs cool.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If i decided to put win 7 onto the revo would i be able to install it off the usb external harddrive or would i need to purchase an 8gb usb stick because the largest stick i have the now is 1gb? Also could you recommend a wireless keyboard and mouse, for xbmc ill be using the app on my phone.
    I used a 4gb usb key and it worked fine. For a wireless keyboard i have the Keysonic ACK-540 RF works brilliant. Guess these would work fine with a Revo too

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My Revo R3610 came with Win 7 pre-installed and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I now use my iPad for keyboard, mouse and XBMC Commander.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lots of good advice in here - but this is a BAD idea.

Your Revo is effectively a Nettop (Similar spec to a Netbook). XBMCLive blows Windows 7 version of XBMC out of the water. Video Acceleration in XBMCLive is far better than that on Windows 7 version. Also, Windows 7 is well known as a blotted OS. Why install shit you dont need and make it run slower than it's capable of?

Wireless Keyboard & Mouse? The original Revo one is Ace - get the wireless version as standard or get this.

If you have not bought it yet, I would highly suggest CEX. They are cheaper than eBuyer!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just put unified remote on my phone its pretty decent suppose ill only need a keyboard because the mouse on the phone is nice but small keyboard is a bit annoying. nvm it comes with one.
    Going to go for this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/279899-acer-as...c-pt-semec-037
    is there anyway around the only 2.7gb ram showing in xbmc live dev?
    might aswell get this one extra 2gb ram for 30 quid.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've only been looking at XBMC this week and have set it up on my laptop with the whole couchpotato thing. More just to learn how it all works. I was thinking of what my next step would be and this has decided it. I'm going to get a Revo and add an external hdd, I can build up from there if I want to later. I was going to go with windows but think I'll stick to linux based on what some of the guys have said on this thread. My questions are, should I stick with the 2GB ram or splash out for the 4GB? If later I wanted to add an apple tv, mainly for the kids in another room to watch films, etc. Can I just stream from the external hdd to the apple tv. Thanks Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast