Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question HTPC - revo 3700

I am looking at getting / building an HTPC to download and watch tv shows and movies.
    To give you an idea of the setup I have at the moment I use sab,sickbeard etc on my laptop and then stream to my 360 via the wireless network. I want to replace this setup with the revo. My question is where will I store the downloads (as the revo only has a 250/500gb internal harddrive. Could I simply get a 1TB external harddrive, then have sab download to the internal and use sickbeard and couch potato to move the downloads to the external and then play them off the external in xbmc? Would this then mean the external would only be powered when viewing movies and when couchpotato/sickbeard is doing the moving? As id plan on having the revo on 24/7 to download new episodes etc as they are released.
    Ideally id love to have a server or something doing all the downloading then just use the revo to play but due to my wireless router being downstairs and the room in question being upstairs a wired network is out the question and my main reasoning for moving to a revo over the 360 is for HD quality which I couldn't stream wirelessly.
    Or could I get an old pc shove some large hdds into it, then simply run an ethernet cable between the revo and the old pc and put some software on the old pc to don the sharing. Then the Revo could access the internet(via the inbuilt wireless) and download the content to the old pc or would the old pc also need to be attached to the router.
    Another option I was thinking of was putting a homeplug downstairs then router to home plug. Then upstairs put a connection from a homeplug to a switch then connect the old pc to the switch and revo to the switch. Would this then mean that the nas and htpc would be networked and have wired internet?(then i could use the old pc for all the downloading).
    p.s when I say old pc i mean id built one based on old parts off ebay, also I dont NEED to buy a revo I could build something if it works better, ideally id love to store the old pc in a cuboard in the same room as the htpc so that noise is at a minimum when viewing movies. Or is there a way i could build an 'all in one solution'. Basically build an htpc pc with wireless and alot of storage that can play 1080p content (I think this would be the easiest option: yet im concerned about the noise when watching movies).
    Last edited by callumz; 14th September 2011 at 06:39 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HTPC - revo 3700

For budget:

Homeplug connected to router
    Homeplug upstairs
    Attach switch to homeplug upstairs
    HP Microserver upstairs attached to switch or downstairs attached to router (£220 @ Crescent but HP rebate £100!)
    The server can be configured to do all of the downloading/extracting/sorting so your Revo is only on when in use for viewing

The HP server could be replaced with a Netgear ReadyNAS or a old PC full of drives and running FreeNAS.

I received my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 today, have populated it with 4x2TB but the RAID5 striping is going to take another 30+ hours, then I will start moving my media onto it. The external HDD solution will work, I do that at the moment, but NAS would be perfect. Once the NAS is on your network you can access it from remote locations and add media extenders to various rooms and they all access the centralised data.

This thread will be of use to you:
    http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...t-your-storage

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    For budget:

Homeplug upstairs
    HP Microserver upstairs attached to switch or downstairs attached to router (£220 @ Crescent but HP rebate £100!)
    The server can be configured to do all of the downloading/extracting/sorting so your Revo is only on when in use for viewing

The HP server could be replaced with a Netgear ReadyNAS or a old PC full of drives and running FreeNAS.

I received my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 today, have populated it with 4x2TB but the RAID5 striping is going to take another 30+ hours, then I will start moving my media onto it. The external HDD solution will work, I do that at the moment, but NAS would be perfect. Once the NAS is on your network you can access it from remote locations and add media extenders to various rooms and they all access the centralised data.

And would I also attach the revo to the switch upstairs or directly to the server?
    Also would the freenas os be ok to run sab,sickbeard and couch potato on the server?
    sorry for the all questions.
    Last edited by callumz; 14th September 2011 at 06:56 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

FreeNAS will run on most systems, I think P4 or higher, 1GB+ RAM is recommended. Not sure about running apps on that.

It is up to you how you connect it but usually the most convenient is to attach server/NAS to router, then you can attach router to homeplug, upstairs homeplug to switch, revo to switch.

Anything connected to your router by cable or wireless will be assigned an IP from the DHCP server (automatically) and so will be/can be accessible through your network.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    For budget:

Homeplug upstairs

I have a HP micro server running all the programs you mentioned and outputting full hd to my tv via hdmi. I would say the server is better then a revo as the amount of upgradeable hdd space.

I got this after all the recommendations in the mentioned thread above.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by saintashley View Post
    I have a HP micro server running all the programs you mentioned and outputting full hd to my tv via hdmi. I would say the server is better then a revo as the amount of upgradeable hdd space.

I got this after all the recommendations in the mentioned thread above.
    So you run the server 24/7 connected to your tv?
    What os do you run on the server?
    so the server downloads and also runs xbmc - to output the movies to the tv?
    Do you have a small hdd for the os and then other hdd for the media? and what is the noise like when viewing a movie?
    Would I have to connect it to my router via wired or could i go wireless, because wireless would be fine when downloading and as the movies are local it would be fine when playing back.
    Once again sorry for so many questions, you guys are so helpful!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Revo behind my TV with a fanless 1tb drive attatched on 24/7 doing sab, sickbeard and xbmc and its perfect. Quieter than my virgin box. No need for anything else?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    I have a Revo behind my TV with a fanless 1tb drive attatched on 24/7 doing sab, sickbeard and xbmc and its perfect. Quieter than my virgin box. No need for anything else?
    Do you just use xbmc live as the os?

Thanks
    Karma Level

just picked up an emachine er1401 off ebuyer for 109 pounds added 2tb of external drives

win7x64 installed with xbmc and sabnzb and addons
    plays everything fine and nice and quiet as well

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by callumz View Post
    Do you just use xbmc live as the os?
    No I have Windows 7 running with XBMC installed on that. Works fine. I only download 1080p stuff with DTS audio and it plays flawlessly

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Revo is the nuts. . . .I just voided my Warranty by adding 2 gig of ram though which is a bit of a shit, just opening the case voids it!
    Other than that it's marvellous, I don't run Sickbeard yet (had it since Feb so I guess I won't!) but I'm also running XBMC within W7. I sometimes download direct to the Revo but often I'm sitting at my Mac and download on that throwing it across on the Network.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It is down to preference, if you would like a Windows station then install Win 7 XBMC. If you do not intend to use any features of Windows then install the live or Linux version as HD material is more stable and it will act like a kiosk, turn it on and XBMC loads and updates from the server/external hard drive.

I opened my Revo for the first time yesterday and drilled the case to add an external SMA aerial and I am replacing the wireless card with a 3 aerial wireless-N card. Problem is now the base for the Revo will not fit so I have to mount it somewhere.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the idea of windows the more I think about it. Would the revo be capeable of running a psx emulator on win 7?
    Would be brilliant to play some old classics!
    Im going to go for the 4gb revo I think with linux then install a fresh copy of win 7 ultimate. Still unsure on which type of external harddrive for the media would be best, any ideas?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

A NAS/server would be best as you can then use it to run services to download and manage content. You are looking at about 50W power consumption this way so can leave it on 24/7 and access/manage remotely and stream to any device on your network.

If you opt for the external hard drive then try to get an eSATA model for faster transfer speeds, other than that just check reviews but most externals are the same as each other just different casing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hmm well I could get the revo plus an internal drive and usb caddy (so the drive can be reused in the server at a later date). Then at a later date I could build a server, get 2 homeplugs + a switch then connect the revo and server to the switch then switch to home plug then another homeplug downstairs to router? would that work?
    The server couldnt be placed downstairs due to the missus moaning about space . Then what OS would be best on the server to run couchpotat0 + sickbeard?
    This stuff is pretty interesting.. endless possibilities!
    Though i would say my budget on the project the now is around 500-600 pound mark.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That should be enough for a HP microserver and Revo. The microserver would probably be best running Windows server 2003 but look at the thread I referred to earlier for more info.

No need to buy an internal HDD and caddy, get an external then just remove the drive if you want to. External drives are cheaper than buying a caddy separately and the cases are usually of a higher quality and more stylish.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ubuntu, XBMC from repo.
    Then add sabnzbd plus any other server related services you want.
    I do not understand why anybody would install windows 7 on a machine that you want to use as a media centre. It's totally over the top and as it full of bloatware you can guarantee that in 6 months time you will be reinstalling as it runs like a dog.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What he said.

Servers of all types ideally need to be as unbloated as possible. If all it's doing is sharing media, then any linux build will suffice and it will run more stably and quicker. Don't even get me started on M$ Updates!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think ill go with just the revo and external hdd route to begin with: then as my media collection grows I can build a server and network using homeplugs. I can only imagine the missus face if I got 2 new toys at once!
    EDIT: I'm assuming I want the external hdd to be USB powered? Thinking about getting 2 x 1TB one for movies and one for TV shows
    Last edited by callumz; 15th September 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Honestly, the easiest way would be to put XBMC, sabnzb, couchpotato and sickbeard all on the Revo, and media on an external drive as you are suggesting.

http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...ABnzbd-etc-etc

Is an easy way to put OpenElec version of XBMC and Sabnzbd+ suite (includes Sickbeard + Couchpotato) on the Revo, and just control everything from your laptop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast