Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech My First Impressions of the Windows 8 Preview

Posted on Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips
    I’m sure each of the excellent writers here on Windows8News.com will want to share their thoughts on the new Windows 8 developer preview. I am no different and thought I would go over what I’ve found. As soon as the Windows 8 developer preview was available, I began preparing my main desktop for the install. Since this is only a preview and I will not be using this install as a primary OS, I simply took an old*40GB 7200rpm*SATA hard drive and formatted it and used the .iso to install the new OS. Here are my thoughts on the first preview, keeping in mind that this isn’t even a beta and is missing many features and programs that will come installed on the beta and final builds.
    Install & Setup

Setup was a breeze. I wasn’t sure how Windows 8 install and setup could be any easier than Windows 7, but it just is. There may even be less menus and screens than the setup process for Windows Phone, but I’ll need to verify that. Actual install time was under 20 minutes with absolutely no setbacks. You’ll be brought to a screen where you can sign in with your Windows Live ID, this is very similar to Windows Phone. Once you enter your ID, the PC will begin setting up with your settings. In the preview, you do not have local access to mail and media via the new metro interface, so I was unable to check that stuff out. However, it is said that the beta will allow users to bring down all of their info and files from SkyDrive to populate their PC.
    Performance

The performance of the Windows 8 developer preview is outstanding. Everything is incredibly smooth on my own PC. Scrolling and switching back and forth between programs and full screen apps is blazingly fast. Load and boot times are also very fast. Unoptimized, my PC boots from cold to working desktop within 15-20 seconds and this is with a normal 7200 rpm SATA hard drive.
    Controls & Navigation

I am using a desktop without a touchscreen monitor, so I cannot speak to the touch aspect of the Windows 8 preview. The controls for Windows 8 are very good, but they do take a little getting used to with a keyboard and mouse. Figuring out how to bring up the different toolbars and menus took tome time and some trial and error, but once you have the controls down, they are easy to use and seem well thought out. Windows 8 is chromeless, so all toolbars and menus are out of sight until you make some kind of gesture or mouse movement.
    Pinning and resizing screens and apps is very intuitive. To scroll through your open apps, just pull from the left side of the screen and snap it to the side to open it side-by-side. (Note: this option is only available on higher resolution screens.)
    Start Screen

The Start menu is the new Windows Phone-esque Start screen. Even when you are in classic Windows mode, pressing the Start button simply brings you back to your tile Start screen, so that takes a little getting used to. Programs and apps will populate automatically on your Start screen, but it is up to you to decide how they are to be positioned and displayed.
    Peripherals & Devices

Every device I attached to my PC just worked with the preview. I tried a number of mice, keyboards, cable modems, monitors, usb drives, external hard drives and a webcam. All installed behind the scenes and worked flawlessly. I had zero issues with drivers and devices not working.
    Issues

While I did come away with many positives with my time in Windows 8, I did find some issues and bugs, which is to be expected in a developer preview. I would often run into issues with Metro IE. Desktop IE worked fine without any problems, but some flash sites had trouble loading (radio.com for example). I would also experience some small freezing within the IE window, which would cease once I scrolled back through my available apps.
    Conclusion

Overall, I am extremely excited about Windows 8 and cannot wait for the beta. I was worried about navigation in Windows 8 with a mouse and keyboard, but my worries were, for the most part, laid to rest as the process felt right after learning the navigation controls. I would have liked to see Microsoft ship the preview with more available features and apps, but this is just a dev preview, so I can’t hold that against Windows 8 at this point. Because of the limited functionality, I would never recommend that a user have this as their primary OS, but if you do have an extra hard drive lying around, it is certainly an experience worth having. Feel free to let me know what you guys think about what you’ve seen thus far as well as sharing any issues or hiccups you may have had.
    My First Impressions of the Windows 8 Preview is a post from Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips - The Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumours & Screenshots. Visit Windows 8 News, Rumors & Tips for the Latest Microsoft Windows 8 News, Rumors, Tips, Themes, Wallpapers & Guides.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My First Impressions of the Windows 8 Preview

Downloaded and installed on my laptop for a try and this takes a hell of a lot of working out .. it's a little baffling at first.

The windows key switches between a Win 7 Mobile style OS and the normal Win 7 desktop (I found by accident).
    There is no start button, that switches you back to the Mobile OS style.

When you start IE from mobile os style there is no menu bar and the address bar is moved to the bottom of the screen.
    From what I can gather after much searching I cannot close the browser or any other app, I have to ALT-TAB back to the desktop and leave it open. I can close it when I'm in the normal style IE run from the desktop.

I deleted the Store tab off the mobile os style desktop and have no idea how to add it back so I've never visited the store or tried to install any apps from it.

It looks ok but there is little wonder that they have let everyone download this to try as it is a massive step almost Win 98 - XP size step. They will be seeking as much user feedback as they can before they go live with it and I really can only see this being the Home version, not sure how this would help in business.

Anyone else tried it yet?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

havent tried it yet but am definitely tempted, might give it a go next week
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is another thread talking about this...

http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...Download-Links