Close

Thread: Vietnam...

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Vietnam...

Has anyone here been to , or lives in Vietnam? What was your experience of the country and is it somewhere worth going to see? Thinking of booking for 2 weeks next year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Vietnam...

there are loads of agencies arranging hols to places like vietnam now, go to a local travel shop, Im sure they'll have mags on it. Better still, visit the local library, they'll have stacks of books from lonely planet and so on.

Thanks to {{909}}

CallmeGoose (23rd September 2011)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ive just started reading up on it now. looks like a fascinating country. I would also love to do a few days in Cambodia too and see Angkor Wat.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I went to Vietnam last year. It is a lovely country, although some places are a little hectic to say the least.

I started in Ho Chi Minh and then went on to Phu Quoc Island and then on to Nha Trang and back to Ho Chi Minh.

I really like it there. The places are so different you can find something for any type of holiday. I also liked that it is a friendlier less sex industry orientated place. I am not saying you won't see pr0stitutes, but it is low key and nothing like Thailand. Everything is really cheap and the food is good.

What were you thinking of doing?
    Last edited by Geko; 23rd September 2011 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks to Geko

CallmeGoose (23rd September 2011)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Basically its a tour offered by trailfinders. (Below). Now i fully expect a roasting from DF members here but im going to propose my girlfriend on this holiday, so I want to do it somewhere nice. There must be a place in Vietnam, which is like a 5* beach resort, secluded, etc?

Day 1 Hanoi
    On arrival transfer to your hotel and enjoy the rest of the day at leisure.

Day 2 Hanoi
    Spend the morning exploring the temples and pagodas of Hanoi. In the afternoon, visit one of Hanoi’s fine museums before a walking tour around the city’s charismatic Old Quarter. End the day watching a performance of the traditional Vietnamese art of water puppetry.

Day 3 Hanoi & Hoa Lu
    Head out of the city to Vietnam’s first capital, Hoa Lu to visit its temples and citadel and perhaps climb one of the surrounding limestone karst hills. After lunch in TamCoc board your private sampan for a cruise through the Thung Nang Valley before returning to Hanoi.

Day 4 Hanoi to Halong Bay
    Drive through the Red River Delta to board your boat and enjoy lunch as you cruise at a leisurely pace amongst the towering rock formations of this breathtaking bay. Overnight on board.

Day 5 Halong Bay to Hué
    After breakfast on board, disembark for your journey back to Hanoi where you have the rest of the day at leisure. Take the overnight train to Hué travelling in an air-conditioned 4 berth compartment - a great way to see the country.

Day 6 Hué
    On arrival in this former royal city enjoy a half day tour of the city. Visit the Imperial Citadel, once home to the 13 emperors of the Nguyen dynasty, take a cyclo ride through the Old City to Tinh Tam Lake and drive on to Thien Mu Pagoda.

Day 7 Hué to Hoi An
    Explore the majestic imperial tombs of Tu Duc and Khai Dinh before heading over the spectacular Hai Van Pass to charming Hoi An, a major Asian trading port in the 17th and 18th Centuries. Stop en route at the Cham Museum in Danang.

Day 8 Hoi An
    Take a morning tour to My Son and Tra Kieu, capitals of the ancient Champa Kingdom. In the afternoon enjoy a walking tour of Hoi An passing former merchants’ houses, the 400 year old Japanese Covered Bridge and the colourful market.

Day 9 Hoi An to Ho Chi Minh City
    Fly to Ho Chi Minh City and enjoy a full day tour of the city, including Chinatown, Ben Thanh market, a visit to either the War Remnants or History Museum and a walk around the major colonial sights.

Day 10 Ho Chi Minh City to Mekong Delta
    Drive to Cai Be and board your boat for a relaxing overnight cruise through the fascinating waterways of the Mekong Delta region.

Day 11 Mekong Delta to Ho Chi Minh City
    Enjoy breakfast on board, before disembarking at Cai Rang to explore its bustling market by local boat. Transfer to Ho Chi Minh City for your onward arrangements.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Phu Quoc would be perfect for proposing. Google it.

The sun goes down in about 5 minutes at 6.30pm each day. You can also eat dinner on a tbale on the beach. Much like how you see couples propose in the movies. I went 2 years ago, and it was developing quickly, but I imagine it is still the same. Probably the most romantic place I've seen.

The best I could find with a 30 second google - http://www.sgphuquocresort.com.vn/te...?id=25&lang=en - It gives you an idea

Also ... It's so cheap and easy to arrange travel yourself, I doubt you'll need a tours setup. I turned up at Saigon with no idea of where to go or what I was doing a day in advance. And it all turned out great.

And... Don't forget your visas.

Edit - That tour also sounds heavy going. You want to enjoy the places you visit and not be rushing from one to the next. I think you need to take a bit more time in the areas. You only want a day in Ho Chi Minh though. It's hectic.

Edit 2 - Saigon (Ho Chi Minh) Traffic

Last edited by Geko; 23rd September 2011 at 05:20 PM.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for your advice Geko, its much appreciated. I think with the trail, we can add things, and take things out so ill probably do you as you say and spend a day or two longer in some places. Thanks for the link, looks ideal :-) Do you need vaccinations for Vietnam?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    thanks for your advice Geko, its much appreciated. I think with the trail, we can add things, and take things out so ill probably do you as you say and spend a day or two longer in some places. Thanks for the link, looks ideal :-) Do you need vaccinations for Vietnam?

We didn't have any. I think I would have checked. So I will say No, but I'm not 100%.