Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Newbie just ordered my new camera, what extras should i get before it comes ?

i just ordered a Canon EOS 600D with 18-55mm after playing with my mates nikon d3100 for a few weeks and enjoyed it so much i decided to buy my own camera and am wondering if there is any thing els i should look at getting for it.
    like bags lenses covers or any thing to help me look after it ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: just ordered my new camera, what extras should i get before it comes ?

A prime lens (circa £80) is a must.

Thanks to tronads

rids (23rd September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: just ordered my new camera, what extras should i get before it comes ?

also an sd card but im sure i read on here some where about diffident speeds of them. i have never paid much attention to this in the pass can i please be pointed in the right direction with that ?
    (please dont try to sell me one in here i want to keep the thread alive)

Thanks
    Karma Level

The £80 Prime Tronads is referring to sounds very much like the Canon 50mm F1.8 Mk II. In which case, I agree. Do get it. Very good lens.

Other stuff

Spare Batteries
    Spare SD Card (not sure on speeds, mine uses CF)
    UV Filter to protect the front element of your lenses.

To consider

Circular Polariser to reduce glare on metal surfaces and water in sunlight. Also to reduce reflections if shooting through glass
    Get a Good bag with room for extra lenses. LowePro, Crumpler etc.
    Lens Pen - Every Kit bag should have one. High St. will charge you £10, Online, as cheap as £1 - though be careful, I'd go middle of the road.
    Card Reader - Do not use valuable battery power copying files from the camera to the PC. Use a Card reader
    Ext Flash unit when you can.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

rids (24th September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont really agree with many of the suggestions above, only things I'd def recommend are a spare battery and a UV filter for the front of the lens. Other stuff you will find you want when the situation arises.

As for SD speeds, faster is better, as with anything but you will only need one exceptionally fast if you are using burst shooting (3-5 shots per second), which I dont think a newcomer would use anyway (I rarely do) so if you have a decent sized card lying around, use that for the time being.

A bag is certainly a good idea, but this will greatly depend on how much kit you end up buying, I'd buy something on the cheaper end of the scale at first and invest in a better bag in 12months when you may have established a lens/accessory collection you need to lug around.

One thing I would add to the essentials are books, as many as you can afford and not PDF versions cos you'll never look at them. Find a good book on composition and a dozen books by popular photographers (better to borrow these). Although nobody ever follows this advice, I cannot stress how much it helped me find my way in photography. If you can find dvds (or youtubez) about modern photographers this can be very inspiring too, I watched a video about winogrand and another chap I forgot the name of (both street photographers) who instantly made me want to go out and try apply their ideas to my shots, which was basically "never care what other people will think" I managed to take one shot before I bottled it and came home, but I'll try again
    Last edited by {{909}}; 24th September 2011 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks to {{909}}

rids (25th September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok I think I do want a fast sd card as the thing I enjoyed with the nikon cam I borrowed was the burst shooting of my dogs. (I did put some pics up)
    I have some photography books in the loft from when I was 15 tuning about with an old zenith slr (still have it and maybe my old pentax slr some where) would they still be relevant at all with a DSLR. It dosent matter to much as I will defo get a few books to help.
    With the filters do you get a good bad variation with them or can I just buy the cheapest or is it worth buying a quality one ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree with 909. Books. The ones you have will still be relevant. Get the 'bible' - it's called 'understanding exposure'.

Get a relatively cheap bag first, soon you'll need a bigger one, as you add more 'junk'.
    50mm lens is a great lens, but concentrate on getting great shots from the kit lens first. Once you master technique, then look at other lenses.

Thanks to muttleymacclad

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bag essential. As far as UV filter goes don't buy cheap shit. Crap glass on the end of a reasonable lens = well you guessed it. Lens cloth for inevitable need a quick wipe moments. Spare battery is a good call though you should get at least 700 shots from the one with it. The book above us a good un too. Card reader is essential too.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

has any one used one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-Fi i dont think i will ever have the need for it but it caught my eye.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    Agree with 909. Books. The ones you have will still be relevant. Get the 'bible' - it's called 'understanding exposure'.

Get a relatively cheap bag first, soon you'll need a bigger one, as you add more 'junk'.
    50mm lens is a great lens, but concentrate on getting great shots from the kit lens first. Once you master technique, then look at other lenses.
    i just ordered 2 books
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0817439390/ref=oss_product
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1118094980/ref=oss_product

i hope that was the book you was talking about and i thought the second one might help me find my way round the camera.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the exposure book is a good one, I haven't got it but I've seen it recommended on lots of sites. You should find that some things just come naturally, or are just plain obvious but truck through the book and you should find some good info and advice.

One thing I always say to people and why I recommend getting books by famous photographers is that you are never going to improve in photography if you don't study other peoples work, just the same as you couldn't write music if you don't listen to other musicians.

Thanks to {{909}}

rids (26th September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

For a cheap bag try 7day shop, they do one for around £15 and it's a cracker for the money.
    Found a link for you http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=110009

Thanks to cybollox

rids (26th September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cybollox View Post
    For a cheap bag try 7day shop, they do one for around £15 and it's a cracker for the money.
    Found a link for you http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=110009
    i just got this bag i no it dose not hold as much but i hope it will do for now as i have a foam flight case with my old zenith in it and it has space for more lenses in there. this bag will be used for walking with.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Adventura-140-Shoulder-Black/dp/B002P3KY7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317057980&sr=8-1

i
    got the camera today but not the sd card i ordered aggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to say a big thanks to every one thats helping me out its very appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i just downloaded all the video podcasts for camera tips http://kelbytv.com/dtowntv/ are there any other ones that are worth looking at to

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you get the eyefi? I have 2 and they are great but only becasue I shoot event photography and we want the photos going to a pc without wires.

If your still looking then I would get one of these you can get the 95mb version for another £10. No need for anything bigger as to fill that your looking at a good few hundred shots in Large fine jpeg your battery will probably go before you fill the card. if you need more space buy another dont go buying a bigger card as if the card fails you loose 1 cards worth of photos if that card has all your photos on then you loose all your shots. The speed thing isnt really an issue but class 2 and 4 do cause problems class 6 will do video quite happily but why stop there go for the fastest you can and not really spend that much more money. Oh and avoid ebay for memory cards.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got the 600d as well and depending on what money you have and what your interested in I can recommend the standard kit lens 18-55 with a close up set of Kood filters for macro. Also a a nice bag would be a great investment. My best lens by far is my 15-85 but I'm restricted as to how much I can pay. Collecting a Canon Speedlite 430EX II this weekend as well :-D
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The external flash will be a huge improvement over the built in, I never use the built in any more.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought a flash unit but I never use it for anything other than formal portraits or 'wedding' type shots. the few times I've used it it was absolutely essential but thats probably need a total of 5 times in over 2 years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i ended up geting some kingston 16gb class 10 cards.

i also brought ell chepo external flash (with slave) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1706705391...ht_2983wt_1185
    it has done every thing i have asked it to do but then so far have not needed it for fast pics.

i did buy some macro tubes as well also some macro lens filers but i prefer the tubes.

i did buy a product set-up http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3206380848...ht_1954wt_1185 so i can take better pics of my whisky bottles (i like to take a pic of ones i have tried)

and a big thanks to every one for there help so far its very appreciated.