Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Barclays Internet Business Banking, Snow Leopard and Safari v5.1

As Treasurer of the local branch of a national charity, I have on-line access to our bank account which is held by Barclays Bank.

Acess is controlled by a smart card and reader, e-signer and Rapport software.

Today, the usual log-in screen and link just went round and round in circles.

I contacted Barclays help desk and they said:

1) My iMac needed to be rebooted to "clear" the card reading software - it was and it didn't;

2) The version of e-signer I had was out of date and I needed to install a later version. The version they emailed was the same as that already installed;

3) The problem was Safari, as only Safari 3 would work and that wasn't available on Snow Leopard - yet Safari v5.0 did work, although I cannot recall whether v5.1 has ever worked or not;

4) I should use Firefox instead of Safari, although that too needed to be v3 - what is it with version 3 of browsers? And I hate Firefox;

5) I mentioned that I had camino and Opera available - they asked what they were!;

6) They would get back to me as they needed technical advice from a Mac expert - they never did get back to me.

So, does anyone else access Barclays Internet Business Banking with Snow Leopard (X.6.8) and, if so, what browser version do you use, etc.

What could be the cause of this new problem?

I also access an RBS account and that works just fine.

Thanks in advance.
    Please help valuable medical research by Folding@Home - you are welcome to join us in Team 37761, Swanny's Irregulars.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you tried chrome? I had a few issues with Natwest on safari with snow leopard, but works everytime with chrome.
    Mml

Thanks to muttleymacclad

iBozz (27th September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Barclays Internet Business Banking, Snow Leopard and Safari v5.1

I use the Barclays home banking with Chrome & Snow Leopard almost daily and never run into any problems.

Thanks to stimpy

iBozz (27th September 2011)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for those answers.

Well, at last they've called back. Safari v5.n will be supported from "quarter 1/2012". When I asked why Safari/Mac was the poor relation of browsers he, somewhat embarrassed, said that the security software was provided by a third party and it wasn't Barclays' fault.

For your information, v5.0 did work although they claim it didn't (it did, I used it), version 3 is the one they recommend and support and I'm not rolling back to that just for Barclays.

Firefox v3 is recommended although I've just tried v6.0.2 and that does work.

Based upon my experience testing my various browsers just now:

Safari v5.1 does not work

Chrome v14.0.835.186 does not work

Opera v11.51 does not work

Firefox v6.0.2 does work

Camino v2.0.9 (1.9.0.19 2011091218) does work.

May be, stimpy, there's a difference between business and personal banking, although I can't think of any possible reason why that should be so - but then the infinite capacity of banks to hack (and rip) their customers off at every conceivable, and inconceivable, opportunity never ceases to amaze me. 'm old enough to remember when banks looked after their clients personally and didn't spend every waking hour trying to obfuscate business or con, trick and wheedle more money out of us.

But I digress.

At least I can get back onto the account!

Thanks for the responses.
    Please help valuable medical research by Folding@Home - you are welcome to join us in Team 37761, Swanny's Irregulars.

Thanks to iBozz

pajr777 (22nd June 2012)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by iBozz View Post
    Thanks for those answers.

Well, at last they've called back. Safari v5.n will be supported from "quarter 1/2012". When I asked why Safari/Mac was the poor relation of browsers he, somewhat embarrassed, said that the security software was provided by a third party and it wasn't Barclays' fault.

For your information, v5.0 did work although they claim it didn't (it did, I used it), version 3 is the one they recommend and support and I'm not rolling back to that just for Barclays.

Firefox v3 is recommended although I've just tried v6.0.2 and that does work.

Based upon my experience testing my various browsers just now:

Safari v5.1 does not work

Chrome v14.0.835.186 does not work

Opera v11.51 does not work

Firefox v6.0.2 does work

Camino v2.0.9 (1.9.0.19 2011091218) does work.

May be, stimpy, there's a difference between business and personal banking, although I can't think of any possible reason why that should be so - but then the infinite capacity of banks to hack (and rip) their customers off at every conceivable, and inconceivable, opportunity never ceases to amaze me. 'm old enough to remember when banks looked after their clients personally and didn't spend every waking hour trying to obfuscate business or con, trick and wheedle more money out of us.

But I digress.

At least I can get back onto the account!

Thanks for the responses.
    Hi iBozz,

I wanted to say a big THANKS for this info, I've just acquired a Macbook Air and Safari 5.x still doesn't work! After messing around with it in 32 and 64 bit modes I googled and found your post. Camino 2.1 downloaded and installed and works great, at last I can bin the shonky Windows netbook I've been using

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pajr777 View Post
    Hi iBozz,

I wanted to say a big THANKS for this info, I've just acquired a Macbook Air and Safari 5.x still doesn't work! After messing around with it in 32 and 64 bit modes I googled and found your post. Camino 2.1 downloaded and installed and works great, at last I can bin the shonky Windows netbook I've been using
    Hi, glad you found the info you wanted but please take the time to read the rules, make an intro in the intro section and take it from there. . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pajr777 View Post
    Hi iBozz,

Many thanks.

I haven't tried the other browsers that didn't work since then, but you are correct - Safari under Snow Leopard still doesn't work! I have to go into Firefox (which, personally, I dislike as a browser), which then has to relaunch itself in 32-bit mode before even that will work.

It is nice to see how much Barclays care about their customers!

Blaming the problem on a third party software supplier is unacceptable and the coward's way out - who specified the requirements and who is pressing the software supplier to correct such a basic error?

Thank goodness I don't have any personal accounts with Barclays, and nor ever will I if this is an example of their customer service!